1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Eurovision... And the winner is...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zenon_pt, May 17, 2008.

1. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

Yeah, looks like my prediction about the winner was way off. I didn't particularly like any of the songs in the first semi-final. Finland's entry was decent but maybe I just like dull metal more than dull non-metal ;) Unless there's something significantly better in the second semi I must root for Teräsbetoni.

2. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

I say, Finland will go far this year, like on the year of the Lordi's! :rockon:

Azerbaijan have also a great song! Opera and rock can great something wonderful!!! :D

Romania have too great song.

3. Panzar75

Panzar75 King

The order was random so luck of the draw I guess. I would be surprised if you were actually lower than 3rd place.

In my opinion Norway, Armenia and Sweden should take the top places on Saturday. If we happen to win it I'll be around 1200 euros richer as I bet on Sweden as #1 at 13-1 odds. I don't normally bet much but those odds were just too good to pass up. (I think ultimately Armenia will take it but they had way worse odds.)

4. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Oh Gods, I've just made the mistake and actually watched the videoclip of that Czech chick. She can't even sing, gods damn it! Even some of the morons from the many Czech singing contests would do a better job.

She could succed only if she was naked during the show. I wonder why the morons chose her, that's beyond my understanding. Anybody who stood against her in the Czech round must have been better.

5. Fronx

Fronx Warlord

I doubt that Norway or Sweden will have much luck, as the songs are too generic; they do not "stand up from the group", and they compete with each other (all are samekind of genre and songs). (I mean no offence, I just want to give my more objective opinion).

Plus "eastern" votes wont most likely go to such songs.

My guess is Romania, Greece and Russia is in top 6, and Finland, Azerbaijan, Bosnia will be in top 8. What the 2 others are, dunno... Armenia and Ukraine?

6. Pannonius

Pannonius Reconquistador

Is she hot?

7. Panzar75

Panzar75 King

I'd say yes although as stated the song is... well, lacking. Her being naked sounds like a good idea but I'm sure there's a rule or ten against that.

Ukraine impressed me in the second semifinals, it might go far.

Fronx, you don't even think Sweden will be top 8? :crazyeye: I guess taste in music really is diverse.

8. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

After seeing both semis I think the level of competition is very low this year. Last two years I've even voted but not now - there's no one to vote who's even semi-decent. I just root for Teräsbetoni because they're at least metal and from Finland.

Panzar75, I have no idea if Sweden will make top-8 but I do know that Swedish woman didn't look like human. She's either made of plastic or is some sort of human-alien hybrid :lol:

9. Panzar75

Panzar75 King

Overall I agree but I think Sweden, Armenia, Norway, Ukraine and Greece have good songs.

Okay so she isn't the prettiest one in the competition but at least we have a good song this year. Trivia-wise she won in 1999 with this.

10. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

France has the best song, you guys just don't see the full potential of it.

11. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

she looked a bit like a woman that was born as a man to me ;)

oh, and surprise, surprise...we didn't make it :lol:

It's funny, every year the 'experts' at the national tv station proclaim that we got good chances (last year they even proclaimed good chances of an overal win) - and then we drop out :lol:

let the: hhh poor us, nobody loves us start :)

12. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

Of course these are matters of personal taste but in my opinion all of them except Armenia were generic euro dance trash that's been the foundation of the contest for couple of decades. Armenia was a little different but not at all better.

13. Zenon_pt

Croatia: Without doubt quite original! :cool:
    Iceland: I love it! :goodjob:
    Turkey: More a rock in the end! :goodjob:
    Portugal: Well different! As Croatia. But with that touch Portuguese. :cool:
    Georgia: Without doubt, a great song with a clear statement to PEACE! :thumbsup:

But attention to the block of the Nordic countries: Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. We already know how it will be the distribution of votes among neighbours!
    And the same with the eastern blocks: the Russian cluster and the Balkans cluster.

:band: :band: :band:

14. raketooy

raketooy professional Coke drinker

It is actually better for the competition that the blocks are in the final as whole, because then their points will distribute more evenly between the members of these blocks.

If they have changed the rules not to allow non-finalist countries to vote in final, my message is rendered null and void.

15. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Blah, the winner is Russia with an uninspired commonplace pop song.
    At least Germany didin't get many points for the disbanded/reformed casting band that no one gives a levitating coitus about any more.

16. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

With the current voting system I find it hard for Russia not make top-5 every year from now on. Not that it's only them who get big points for reasons other than the song but they just get them more than others.

After seeing all the songs one more time my (non-Finland) top-3 is Bosnia and Herzegovina, Turkey and Albania. Despite of my earlier comments I even voted for B&H. And it pains me that we lost to Sweden - though I doubt that Swedes are happy with their success :lol:

17. Panzar75

Panzar75 King

I'm usually the first one to dislike our song but this year I actually thought it was a good one. Guess I was the only one. That's unexpected but not a shock to me.

What is a shock to me is Russia winning. I thought their song was really bad. I get the impression they could send a 3-yearold babbeling and still make the top half.

Now I'm just waiting to get a copy of the English broadcast, I like your comentator. Let's see if he complains as much about block voting as he did last year.

18. Zenon_pt

See here the final result's of:
    the 1st semi-final
    the 2nd semi-final
    the final

At semi-final, they were quite balanced, but at the final with the clusters regions, they weren't!!!
    All 9 ex-URSS nations vote Russia plus Servia!
    Russia didn't get any points from 5 countries, at the final!

The top 5 of each final:
    1st SF
    Greece
    Armenia
    Russia
    Norway
    Israel

2nd SF
    Ukraine
    Portugal (!!!)
    Denmark
    Croatia