1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Evangelize conquered civilization religion.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by montalaar, Jun 15, 2017.

1. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

1. started as rome.
    2. founded pantheon(stone circles.)
    3. neigboring france established religion catholicism, beliefs: reliquaries, meeting house; pantheon:god of the forge.
    4. conquered france.

now i want former france faith spread all over my country and continent(pangea map), but first wanted to evangelize it by adding 2 more beliefs. and i can not! why is that? am i missing something?

fresh apostle in paris(holy city of catholicism) stands in city holy site.
    all my country cities adopted catholicism.

as a side notes for situation.
    i am suzeren of erevan.
    rome pantheon works in former france cities - faith from quarries.
    religion panel of game on catholicism says: holy city - conquered.
    all other possible religion slots are taken by other civs.

because of closest neighbor city state - erevan, fastest way to win is religion. i wonder if i even can do that now because my country main religion holy city "conquered".

2. soundwaveuk

soundwaveuk Chieftain

You can only evangelise a religion that you founded yourself. You can also only win with your own religion. The only things you can do with conquered religions is spread them yourself, and use them to stop others winning a religious victory.

3. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

ty for explanation. on religious victory civilopedia says "your" religion, not your FOUNDED religion, must be dominated.

4. VeronicaCardican

VeronicaCardican Chieftain

It's not your religion if you didn't found it. The civilopedia could be more clear about that but it's logical if you think about it.

Otherwise people would just park a small army outside of the dominant religion's holy city and steal a religious victory last second by just taking a single city.

c4c6 and craney1987 like this.
  5. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

I definitely would do this. Haha

6. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

i do not see it is a logical explanation. as example, you conquer city. is it yours, even if you did not create it. do you count conquered by you city as it still belongs to now dead civ? same as to call religion "yours". that is why i saw explanation misleading. "yours" and "founded by you" are two different meanings.

7. VeronicaCardican

So by that logic if IS manages to conquer Rome, they'd be seen as the head of Catholic Religion and Catholics all over the world would now accept their authority? I doubt that.

A religion cannot be aquired like real estate. In Civ you either found one or you are not eligible for a religious victory. Quite simple.

8. Turrdy

Turrdy Prince

if you did not found it, it's not really yours, is it?
    i's like adopting a child. you can call it family, but it will never be your blood.

9. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

if i am christian, when i take my faith in me, it becomes mine. my religion, my faith. and yet, i am not founder of it by any means. its hard to see how that logic slips away here.

if IS conquers rome, adopts catholicism, starts to spread it all over the world, it IS their religion. on the other hand, if IS conquers rome and try or exterminates catholicism in that city, catholicism is not their religion. again, its hard to see how this logic is not obvious.

10. historix69

historix69 Emperor

I think Religion in Civ 5 / Civ 6 is too limited, especially when having much more civs than Great Prophets / Religion slots.

Think of the Church of England or Martin Luther and others ... you can always found a new religion or reform an existing one if you have the power or a Great Prophet.
    Some even see Marxism (Communism) as kind of atheist religion which makes Karl Marx a Great Prophet.

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

That's where gameplay trumps history. By participating in a race for religions, potentially at the expense of other endeavors, you must make interesting decisions.

12. historix69

historix69 Emperor

You can conquer wonders but you cannot conquer a religion nor can you conquer certain Great Person benefits.

It would be nice to have a list of all non-conquerable benefits in Civ 6.

13. VeronicaCardican

I expect a comeback of ideologies in a later expansion. They would act like a modern type of religion and might even compete with religions for followers.

That way any civ that didn't get a religion in ancient times could turn the tide in a fight for ideas in a later age. Religious civs might abandon their old beliefs for a more modern set of ideals to follow.