1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Even Moar Units: Poland 2.1

Adds Chosen Infantry and Uhlan units to Poland. Plus Janissary if Suzerain of Preslav or Yerevan.

1. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Androrc the Orc likes this.
  2. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

Nice! Poland is going to be quite a handful in the Medieval/Industrial eras.

3. Jambrose

Jambrose Chieftain

Do you mind sharing what was the inspiration for Chosen Infantrys UA?

4. aosos

aosos Chieftain

Wow fantastic quality !

5. Johnen

Johnen Chieftain

Um... that seems very inaccurate... Poland didn't even exist in that time period, it got wiped out from the map in 1795 and came back in 1918 after a long struggle for independence. Poland never had any kind of Industrial Era units and it was gone for 123 years. During that time the Russians and Germans committed unspeakable atrocities against the Polish civilian population which never gave up and kept fighting the occupants.

Polish Uhlans were professional, Modern Era cavalry soldiers formed after WWI (just in time for WWII).

They were equipped with a 37mm anti tank Bofors cannons.

Anti materiel rifles known as WZ. 35, which could even stop and destroy a Panzer III (but most likely not IV and above).

WZ. 98a - a Polish variant of the Gewehr 98 (essential a longer, German 98k with the same ammunition)

And it wasn't uncommon for some of them to also have a very modern battle rifle (bipod, compensator, select fire mod and pistol grip) known as the RKM Browning WZ. 1928

Think of a Sturmgewehr 44 with a battle rifle round (7,92 × 57 mm Mauser).

Sometimes when they would lure tanks closer to a forest they'd even (supposedly or most likely) use makeshift molotovs to burn German tank engines. Once tanks were in pursuit and entered an area which was perfect for an ambush (usually hills and forests where it was hard for tanks to operate), the shooters with a WZ. 35 would either destroy the panzers with a few shots (around 20mm penetration) but if the frontal armor proved too much they'd shoot the tank tracks, the tank then was immobilized and the tree's (or terrain) made targeting and turning some turrets more difficult (but mainly the best ambush spot was a forest or a thick mist), so once the tank or tanks were unable to move, several Uhlans would get on their horses and throw molotovs at the engine block and the German tank crew was screwed. Even when they tried escaping the burning wreckage the tank crewmen would get stabbed in the head or neck with the spear, sometimes even chopped with a saber because spears and sabers were used by Uhlans instead of bayonets, they were just too impractical and short for cavalrymen. However, the Polish Uhlans were not meant to be "tank killers" and would be unable to go up against Panthers and Tigers, they were more usable in guerilla warfare, hit the enemy hard (preferably in a good spot like the woods or hills) and run unless they could kill an entire enemy unit in one go (which did happen several times, once they killed around 800 German infantrymen in one swoop with very few casualties).

German infantry also didn't have an easy time with Polish Uhlans, the horses made traveling easier without the need for gasoline and the unit was very mobile and loved flanking, as well as fast, sudden attacks, so the Germans always tried to get the Uhlans in the opened field with tank brigades and they did mange to do that a couple of times dealing some casualties but as soon as the tanks started shooting the unit would quickly retreat. Joseph Goebbels later used these Polish Uhlan casualties in a propaganda campaign where it was said that the Uhlans attacked the tanks, charging at them with sabers and spears. This myth was propagated (along with many others) to demoralize the Polish people and the same time boost German morale, there was no talk of actual casualties and losses that the Germans suffered.

Edit:
    Hmmm actually... come to think... if the Uhlans could actually do some damage to the Panther and Tiger tanks. Their engines were usually running pretty hot so if they could toss at least one, solid molotov on that engine block or use improvised explosives, the tank wouldn't get completely destroyed but it would be severely damaged and since the ventilation system would suck in smoke and the flaming liquid the crew wouldn't be able to stay in it for long, kinda like when the Americans hit panzers with white phosphorous but if Uhlans had magnetic mines and better anti tank equipment a hit and run tactic against tanks would be far more effective.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Where does the hat/head for chosen infantry come from?

7. Deliverator

The Uhlans are inspired by the Duchy of Warsaw Uhlans here.

It's one of the Cossack hats.

8. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Uhlans are mainly there to represent the Polish lancer cavalry from the late 18th century (then formed into "national cavalry" units) and the Napoleonic wars up until the November Uprising of 1830. Some of the best cavalry in Europe that saw a lot of conflict across the continent.

Many thanks to Deliverator for making this pack. I'm surprised how well the Uhlans look with those lances, even though the animations are still off. Good job regardless. :)

Deliverator likes this.
  9. Deliverator

It was inspired by LastSword's Stephen Bathory's Poland Civ but a healing effect makes sense for a unit that can be replenished from the local population. I could have restricted to heal only in home territory but I've made it all territories initially.

10. Deliverator

11. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

I would give one more movement point to the Uhlan.

For the great age of Poland in the medieval I suggest a light Horseman as another UU maybe the "Lithuanian banners". They could wear the hat of the Saka Horse Archer. If they were attacked they could have a chance to retreat from battle or if this is system-dependent not possible than could get the ability to move after attack.

by the way :goodjob: again:)

12. Deliverator

Deliverator updated Even MOAR Units: Poland with a new update entry:

Update 1.2 (Adds Janissary for Suzerain of Preslav and Yerevan)

Read the rest of this update entry...

13. Kodimus

Kodimus Chieftain

Very nice addition with the Janissary. I suggest swapping Yerevan for Hattusa, though, as Yerevan's suzerain bonus is already quite powerful whereas Hattusa relies heavily on missing out on strategic resources to be of value. Hattusa is actually in Turkey, too, so that's a plus.

14. Lynnes

Lynnes Chieftain

I have added the required line to the FontIcons.xml, but there is no icon for the new resource, at least it isn't in the Civilopedia. :think:

15. Deliverator

Yeah, I haven't actually added a specific icon for the resource in the Pedia yet. The FontIcons.xml just means that it won't appear as [ICON_RESOURCE_JANISSARY] in the title bar or tooltips. Will add a custom main icon in a future version.

16. Lynnes

Lynnes Chieftain

I see, thanks!

17. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Thats awesome that you can use the janissary body, that will be very helpful to me. And the artdef is quite a lot to work with, makes me really appreciate what youve done here. I do have a question; is the color on the janissary editable?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  18. Deliverator

Deliverator updated Even MOAR Units: Poland with a new update entry:

1.21 Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

19. Deliverator

No sadly not. The Redcoat is one of the few units that is recolorable which is why I'm re-using it so much.

20. DrDraker

DrDraker Chieftain

thnx alot mate