Even Moar Units: The Aztecs

Even Moar Units: The Aztecs 2.0

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
Deliverator submitted a new resource:

Even MOAR Units: The Aztecs - Adds Jaguar Warrior and Warrior Priest units to the Aztecs.

Two new units for the Aztecs. Requires the Aztec DLC.

Jaguar Warrior
Unique Aztec melee unit that replaces Swordsman. +7 Combat Strength when attacking and -7 Combat Strength when defending. May capture defeated enemies, turning them into Builders.

Warrior Priest
Aztec unique support unit available with the Mysticism Civic. Can be purchased with Faith. Adjacent Melee, Anti-Cavalry and Ranged units fight at full strength when damaged and earn Great General points from kills....

Read more about this resource...

I was hoping this would work with the triple civ bonuses mod It does not. I removed this mod but for some reason i cant get the triple bonuses mod to work again even after uninstalling the mod also tried removing the game and reinstalling.

I was hoping this would work with the triple civ bonuses mod It does not. I removed this mod but for some reason i cant get the triple bonuses mod to work again even after uninstalling the mod also tried removing the game and reinstalling.

This mod won't affect other mods once the Even_MOAR_Units_Aztec directory is removed so I guess the problem is with the Triple Bonuses mod. It doesn't look like that mod has been updated since the Winter Patch was released so it may not be compatible. Maybe ask a question in that mod's thread.

BALANCE ISSUE

Jaguar Warriors can 3 shot a 12 pop city attacking over the river (and it has so little hp after 2 attacks that I am certain they can 2 shot it when not attacking over the river). Plus I am afraid that defense penalty is not counterbalancing it, since iron for swordsmen is pretty sparse and spearmen and archers are not very effective even considering that penalty.

Looking at numbers:

Attacking:
Jaguar strength
vs. swordsman^ 42:35 = +7
vs. spearman 52*:25 = +27 (!)
vs. rider^^ 42:35 = +7
vs. archer 42:15 = +37 (I usually see my archers one shot by lone Jaguars)
vs. cataphract^ 42:39 = +3

Defending:
Jaguar strength Production ratio (Jaguar: X)
vs. swordsman^ 28:35 = -7 1:1
vs. spearman 38:25 = +13
vs. rider^^ 28:35 = -7 9:8
vs. archer 28:25** = +3
vs. cataphract^ 28:39 = -11 ~ 1:1,35

*Melee class bonus vs. anit-cav
**Ranged
^Requires Iron
^^Requires Horses

As you can see, you either need Horse resource for Riders to get a chance to get a fair fight or Iron for Swordsmen (but remember, Aztecs can and WILL spam Jaguars, in really amazing numbers) or for Cataphracts. Now Cataphracts require Iron, cost actually more production, get penalty vs anticav and are still effectively only 8 points stronger than Jaguars (Jaguars get +3 on offense and -11 on defense totaling -8).

In the cost category it should be considered that Jaguars can capture defeated units as Builders with 3 building charges, which effectively can make them pay off for their production just by attacking, which they are horrendously good at.

Also its worth consideration that of 3 units capable of countering Jaguars (and as I said all 3 of these come with setbacks) only Swordsmen recieve +4 bonus from Oligarchy.

My ideas for fixing the problem:
1) Lowering the bonus to 4, which with Oligarchy would still make for +8 offense/ - 3 defense.
2) Increasing the penalty to 10 or even more: this would empower archers and cav chases and require more tactical use;
3) Removing the ability to capture units as Builders;
4) Making them only purchasable by Gold or Faith (I mean both options, not one of these);
5) Changing their type to Heavy Cavalry (I know this may sound a bit crazy, but this actually suits their playstyle as chargers considering Heavy Cav promotion tree, would lower the difference between them and Spearmen with the latter still losing sorely and require strategic thinking ahead and consideration for finding Iron for further upgrade to Knights).

Thanks for the detailed analysis @Jambrose. The Jaguars are definitely overpowered. I'm thinking I might change them to: 38 Attack, 23 Defence and keep the capture Builders ability what do you think? Does that weaken them too much?

Thanks for the detailed analysis @Jambrose. The Jaguars are definitely overpowered. I'm thinking I might change them to: 38 Attack, 23 Defence and keep the capture Builders ability what do you think? Does that weaken them too much?
Well that is pretty nerfing but I guess it should work out, being balanced by capturing and no iron cost.
Sounds balanced, but it is hard to say without testing. If you would like to test it just send me units file and I will dig right into it.

actually I'd recommend to leave jaguar as they are and buff all other swordmen to 40 ( 45 for legion I guess ) since currently they have the same strength as riders but half their speed

Love this mod. But for some reason, the Warrior Priest seems to yield Great Prophet points from kills instead of Great General points.

Love this mod. But for some reason, the Warrior Priest seems to yield Great Prophet points from kills instead of Great General points.

I think that was actually intentional and I got the description wrong! Anyway what do people think works best General or Prophet points? I suppose I thought Prophet would be appropriate as they are priests after all!

I think that was actually intentional and I got the description wrong! Anyway what do people think works best General or Prophet points? I suppose I thought Prophet would be appropriate as they are priests after all!

Prophet points sounds good!

General points are much better. By the time you get Mysticism and the 240 faith to build a priest, if you care about religion, you either have or are close to having one. Thereafter, Prophet points are useless.

General points are good forever.

Im having trouble playing this mod on my civ6..keep crashing..any ideas why ? i download it and places it normally just like your previous mod..somehow this one keep making my game crashes (note that i stack your mod with other mods which mostly changes the yields and policies...does that have to do with it ?)

Im having trouble playing this mod on my civ6..keep crashing..any ideas why ? i download it and places it normally just like your previous mod..somehow this one keep making my game crashes (note that i stack your mod with other mods which mostly changes the yields and policies...does that have to do with it ?)
So am I. Disabled all mods except for MOAR units mod and this mod. Says loading then says Start and then goes back to main menu

I like the idea and bonuses of the warrior priest.:egypt:

by the way I have a question: is it possible -theoretically- to give an unit a negative ability like the opposite of a healer, so that adjacent units get some damage instead of healing? would this work theoretically? thanks

Top Bottom