1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Even out difficulty over the game?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by WarKitty, Dec 16, 2015.

1. WarKitty

WarKitty Chieftain

Are there any good mods that make the late game harder, without upping the difficulty of the early game too much? I find that often I struggle through the early game, only to find that the late game is completely boring.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I'm not aware of any myself, Kitty, although some may exist.

I recommend simply upping the difficulty and going to Strategy & Tips forum to discuss learning how to improve your early gameplay, which is the most important part of the game. You can also learn how to win faster.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

I modified the acceleration constant. Obviously, make a copy before you change anything.

Under "assets\xml\gameinfo" you find "civ4handicapinfo."

This file has all the handicap data for each difficulty level. Find the section for the difficulty level that gives you a good enjoyable starting experience.

There will be a whole list of values used for that difficulty level. Very near the end of the list will be iAIpereramodifier. It's a negative number that basically represents how much is deducted from the AI costs of research and production each time you enter a new era. Making it more negative gives the AI better ability to keep up and/or catch up the further into the game you get.

One simple number changed and the game works much better for me. Hope that helps.

4. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I find that my regular games start out interesting but turn into a boring cakewalk in the mid to late game (if I make it that far). Here’s what I do to change that:

1. Set the game at least 1 level higher than I normally would play (So in my case, Emperor on K-Mod, Immortal on regular BtS/BBAI)

2. Zoom all the way into a BFC-sized space around my starting Settler, cover the minimap with a card, and enter WorldBuilder

3. Give myself the starting units the AI gets on Deity (2 Settlers, a Scout, a couple of Warriors, and a Worker)

4. Cook the starting location, to the extent of ensuring that my starting location BFC has a river, at least one decent food special and either double Gold or double Gems. If you’re playing 2 levels above your normal difficulty, you could consider cooking a location for a second city, further along the same river.

5. Exit WB, save and play.

What that does for me is make it easy to get off to a fast start, without the game turning into a runaway win for me. Tons of commerce, fast growth in Capital due to not having to go Worker-first, and a couple of units to scout with. Generally, I build up a good position, and then the Immortal-level AI bonuses gradually whittle away my lead, and the end game stays quite interesting. That’s the opposite of how my conventional games go (if I get off to a good start in my first 100 turns, the game is over). I also play on large maps, so the temptation to just rush all my neighbours isn’t overwhelming.

Purists may hate this approach, but I have a lot of fun with it.

5. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

All good responses from the above Fanatics :D. However, in response to your mods question, there are two that I am aware of; And Rom2 by 45 and crew, and Caveman 2 Cosmos by Strategy only and crew. The specific modcomp in both mods is called increasing difficulty. Just a friendly FYI.

6. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I'm planning at writing one (see the thread in here)
    It would be a multi-elastic band dampener, which would be completely unfair to the player as the sole purpose would be to stop the player runaway steamrolling the world and therefore avoid the "quick combat infantry vs longbowmen- I'm taking over the world, but it's pretty boring"-syndrome.

The formula would be based on the info screens numbers and start automatically individually when player got too high:
    Highest score * (average score + average score) / player score * player score * difficulty modifier

If result is below 1 then modifier is applied to the player:
    GNP : commerce modifier
    Production : city production
    Food : food or food needed to grow modifier
    Land area : culture mod
    Military : either production, or odds modifier
    Population : health and unhappy modifier
    Etc

7. ringwraith18

ringwraith18 Chieftain

The mod I am currently playing (A New Dawn) dynamically changes both your difficulty and the AI's. I disabled the player's difficulty changes but kept the AI ones, because as someone who micro-manages everything, having the difficulty change on the fly ruins all those delicate little balances that I spend the game creating.

Personally I would nerf the late-game a little anyway, since in vanilla Civ IV all the late game units are way too cheap.

8. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Mmm, good point about the micromanage vs player damper.
    The problem with the AI boost vs player damping is, imho, that it's usually the player that makes a runaway, f.ex after killing a civ or two. Even with a boost to the AI, they won't be able to catch up the huge advantage the player have with the extra cities, commerce and land/resources and production. Also the civs usually plays the timeline ok'ish while the player suddenly have tanks in 1200 AD.

9. Chompjig

Chompjig Chieftain

I am inclined to believe that in A New Dawn there is a varying difficulty section included in BUG, however im not sure what the variables are for it's changing or resolve

10. WarKitty

WarKitty Chieftain

Thanks for the ideas!

My problem with the early game is somewhere around Monarch I get bored with trying to do the same thing, just faster. So I don't tend to want to play the early game at higher levels, but then the later levels you end up steamrolling.

11. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

As others pointed out, Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn mod, has a feature called Flexible Difficulty that can be applied to either AI or human players, or both. It adapts difficulty to how you and AI are performing during the game. This feature, together with Realistic Timescale, another RAND feature, are helping a lot in preventing easily steamrolling other civs