Even the Barbarians hate Montezuma.

Magc8Ball

Chieftain
I start my first game after patching. Marathon speed, I'm Ragnar. I do the standard explore-around bit; the first civs I run into are Brennus, Saladin, and... Montezuma. Whee.

After a little while (I'm still at one city and don't have any improvements) I get a Barbarian Uprising event, right outside my borders. A stack of 5 archers shows up. My capital only has a single warrior in it, and I've got another warrior but he's too far away to get to my only city in time. I figure I may have to start a new game shortly as I watch the barbarian "horde" make its way towards my city.

Then it passes my city by. Then it leaves my territory. Then it enters Brennus's territory (his capital is really close to mine). I lose track of it, but I keep my out-there warrior near Brennus's territory in case the horde attacks him. Nothing.

A small number of turns later... The Aztec Civilization has been destroyed!

That stack of archers really had it in for ol' Monty, I guess. :huh:

I start my first game after patching. Marathon speed, I'm Ragnar. I do the standard explore-around bit; the first civs I run into are Brennus, Saladin, and... Montezuma. Whee.

After a little while (I'm still at one city and don't have any improvements) I get a Barbarian Uprising event, right outside my borders. A stack of 5 archers shows up. My capital only has a single warrior in it, and I've got another warrior but he's too far away to get to my only city in time. I figure I may have to start a new game shortly as I watch the barbarian "horde" make its way towards my city.

Then it passes my city by. Then it leaves my territory. Then it enters Brennus's territory (his capital is really close to mine). I lose track of it, but I keep my out-there warrior near Brennus's territory in case the horde attacks him. Nothing.

A small number of turns later... The Aztec Civilization has been destroyed!

That stack of archers really had it in for ol' Monty, I guess. :huh:

I can see it now. The barb leader was probably like:

"Ok, boys, we have enough numbers right now to take someone completely out of the game. I mean, look at that Viking capitol, just sitting there with one jerk in it!"

(another barbarian is reading a parchment with a local map on it) "Hey Boss! Lookee here! The aztecs are right over thataway! Yeah, its a hike, but I really hate that Montezuma guy."

Barb leader: 'Montezuma's here? Aw hell, lets do these guys a favor and put him six feet under. I hate that whackjob!".

It's odd how these things turn out. Around AD1500, I was exploring one of the quieter corners of the supercontinent (I say exploring, but my troops had been deported after a failed war with de Gaulle) when I came across a Barbarian city, size 16 called Timbuktu. I vaguely remember the Malinese civilisation being wiped out by a Philistine Uprising circa 500BC (my lot of the horde was trapped between the sea and my Great Wall and so stood around for a few turns before I finally got round to wiping them out).

Defended only by a few axemen and archers, I siezed it, and won myself a fairly large corner of the continent, adding a sizable chunk to my Empire, without the more costly effects of a war against an actual civ. With the Forbidden Palace, and later, State Property even the maintenance costs were slashed.

Who says Barbarians are all bad?

Putting on Raging Barbs has always been default for me.. I always thought that regular barbs werent numerous enough to take advantage of the cool new possibilities theyve included for barbs in civ4.

Now with the new patch, I started a new game and of course raging barbs was on. Whew!! May have to rethink that otion as a default setting!!

First they came and poked around and looked. Nothing dreadfull.

Then right as I was really getting a foothold into the game, Here they come. First wave 5 archers and 3 warriors. Managed to kill them off for a second wave to come directly after. Then another. A total of six waves came through. By that time I had several axe and sword and was just starting to get horse archers.

The barbs stopped. Whew. That was horrible. I checked the info screen and decided that it wasnt just me who had serious troubles. They hit the other guys on the continent as well. So although, I got my rythm, slapped around, its no big deal. I set back to building and begin work on a quick wonder. Couple new cities in farther locations (as the barbs are over)

Phase three comes in. Just as many numbers as before, only now they armed with axe and sword. six waves of these guys and all my well XPed barb hunters and fog busters are KIA. Farms burnt, towns pillaged, and God only knows what to the women. This one hurt. Im whipping chariot and horse archer to try and keep up, and throwing axe in with woodland2 for spot ddefense on the border.
Wave over. No cities lost. My hands are a little shaky, but the other civs apparantly had same trouble so all is salvaged through the fact that NOW the barbs are over. Plus I have good lines of horse and chariot for fighting off anymore.

Nope. Next Barb invasion comes a few turns later. Now they ride horse themselves and have mixed in spear units. Not as many numbers this time but really annoying as they ride AND pillage in same turn. In the middle of this barrel race amongst the horsemen, I get a random barb uprising and a stack of 5 or 6 spearmen pop up in the worst place possible (an area guarded mostly by horse) So finally I fight them ALL off (this time I can only HOPE) and now I see that Monty has a buildup on my border. A huge stack, just waiting.

My goodness. That was my friday night. Maybe next Friday I'll hit the beer joint instead. One thing for sure, Raging Barbs has definitely been enhanced by the patch and I will have to re-evaluate its importance as a (default setting)

Top Bottom