Event Scripting Tutorial

Is there a comprehensive event scripting tutorial on nomenclature and with examples? I have not found one. Instead I am studying examples from scenarios and trying to glean what they do and how to replicate and substitute them into my own scenario.

Hi Cassius,

In the following Scenario Creation Excel Sheet thread, I provided John with a ZIP file with a whole set Civilization references guides. In the zip there is a "Macro" folder in which you will find a guide to the Macro language.

Thanks! There are a lot of dead links that are specifically on Civ 2 that are supposed to be within the site,.not from elsewhere...so a dearth of information.

There are some odd things too like you can get to the Civ 2 downloads....but there is a whole section on Civ 2 mods that only comes up by searching on google. So whenever a change was made, the direct link got dropped.

And the modwiki which is the standard method for disseminating that kind of information just points to the scenario league.

This is normal over time as a game's popularity wanes.

It might be a good idea to archive some information so it's not lost. It reminds me of the former apolyton website's popular links discussing all manner of things discovered and researched.

This whole section has dead links.
https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/reference/#scenarios
When someone updated the site by adjusting the architecture of how links report for the downloads through forums, they dropped the ball and broke links.

For example:https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/

Versus
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/categories/civilization-ii-downloads.78/

See the problem with the url and why that whole section probably has low traffic as the links were broken? Back in the ancient days of webdesign, I used to do this kind of thing to help out....back during Front Page days.

As a website grows and your staff changes, then unless standards are designated, the code for the site can be cobbled together piecemeal and it is very easy for things like this to happen.

If website updates are done by site traffic statistics, then the Civ 2 section may not be as popular as Civ 6 and hence it becomes a low priority to straighten it out.

The worse case scenario is losing content that was meticulously generated.

Last edited:
Hi Cassius,

Unfortunately, I'm not an administrator for any of these websites so I can't help you there.

All I can confirm is that the links I included in the thread above are still fully functional.

tootall_2012, I also want to say you thank you very much for that compilation. It seems you have typed in the complete handbook of civ 2 Tot considering events. Especially informative in my eyes is the pdf document about TOTPP.

I have spent about a month combing the web for Civ 2 content like old scenarios and mods. Everywhere I go, the most frequent complement is what a superior program Civ 2 is versus every other version. It's my opinion that what they are praising is the modded content. I really think it would be wise to have alternative storage as a mechanism for preserving whatever content still exists.

Based upon what I have read here in other topics, some people are saving things like maps. I am very glad they did that and are doing that as that takes meticulous labor.

As many images were lost due to the mechanism of storing unit files, then it almost makes me recoil at the loss of very skillfully done recreations. In a way due to the icon nature of the units which have such limitations, it is akin to Sumi-e paintings.

And to lose complex events which record actual historical events....that took a monumental understanding of history and likely was done with many tomes and volumes opened up and researched, then coded, then error checked, then tested, etc. What a horror to ever lose this as it allows history to unfold within the Civ 2 milieu.

tootall_2012, I also want to say you thank you very much for that compilation. It seems you have typed in the complete handbook of civ 2 Tot considering events. Especially informative in my eyes is the pdf document about TOTPP.

Hi Civinator,

I've gathered a lot of different resources from a wide variety of authors over the years to help me with my little projects. I'm glad you found some of the guides in my compilation useful to you as well.

Top Bottom