1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Events and general starting choices. What is your standard set ?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by General_Drax, Dec 9, 2019.

1. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

Events especially.

I prefer do not playing with them. Same for Ancient ruins (it damages Shoshone a bit, nothing major).

Anyway my list with some comments:

_ Difficult: Emperor.
    I can win easily on King so increased difficulty. I have a good 40% wins with Emperor and improving.

_ Map. Planet Simulator or Pangea or Standard continents. Strategic balance on Resources.
    This is by FAR the settings that make or break the game: if you go with standard resources and discover 0 Iron or Horses you are royally screwed. Coal to some extent.
    While I can reroll the map until i find a good start luxuries wise I cannot see strategic (I did use Reseed to test a map script but then my starting choice is made without strategic revealed on regular playing).
    Planet Simulator let you a bit more space to expand (Standard map). Islands options are interesting.

_ 8 Civ, 16 CS. Standard.

_ Pace: Epic.

_ Settings: No Events, No Ancient Ruins, Raging Barbarians (sometimes), Barbarians giving GG/GA (sometimes), Transparent Diplomacy. All Victory conditions allowed.

_ no tech brokering, no research Agreement, everything else on default

_ Mods.

_ VP complete with EUI
    _ InfoAddict
    _ 3rd and 4th components (Pineappledan). Recently added. Nice twists and a lot more flavor for every Civ. A monumental effort balancing and graphic wise.
    _ Building and unit tweaks (Pineappledan). First to improve power plants in every way, second one i'm still undecided on skirmisher line. No matter how you put it seems very hard to justify the whole line but in very open mats. Fragile.
    _ Trade opportunities, UI enhancements (city and list) from Mod Repository.
    _ faster aircraft animations
    _ Enhanced Naval warfare

What about you ?

Edit: mods section and settings section expanded.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

Recently I've been playing more test games than actual games; when I play test games I use IGE and my starting configuration tends to be whatever is most useful for my testing. :)

When I do play actual games, my settings are usually these, although once I'm finished with the bulk of my diplomacy changes I'll probably do some experimenting with different ones.

__Difficulty:__ Prince
    (I play to have fun and/or to find potential improvement opportunities more than to challenge myself, but I'll probably tackle higher difficulties soon)

__Map:__ Usually Pangaea, since I'm very lazy about building a navy. :)

__Resources:__ Abundant

__Pace:__ Standard; I prefer Epic but don't usually have the time for it.

__Size:__ Standard (8 civs, 16 CS)

__Settings:__ Allow Human Vassalage (I have yet to become a vassal of another civ, though), Enable Events System, Enable Research Agreements, No Tech Brokering, Transparent Diplomacy (mostly useful for testing, since I'm very familiar with diplomacy)

__Mods:__
    Full VP with EUI
    Archaeology Aesthetic Adjustments
    Calypso's Colored Religious Icons
    Faster Aircraft Animations
    Quick Turns
    (thinking of trying out some new ones)

vyyt likes this.
  3. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

FYI, Faster Aircraft Animations is made redundant by Quick turns; you can go ahead and remove it from your modlist.

4. Recursive

Ah, good to know!

Also, I never play with Time victory, forgot to mention that. I consider Time victory not to be a real victory. It's boring! :)

Occasionally I disable Science victory as well, if I want a game where you must defeat all other civs in some way in order to win. And occasionally I play with Complete Kills.

5. Teholb

Teholb Warlord

Difficulty: Emperor - feels like the AI is actually competent at this difficulty without being overwhelming by default.

Map: Communitu_79a v1.14.0

Size: Standard - 6 random AI, 2 people, and 16 CS

Resources: Scarce - the Communitas/tu mapscript seems to favor lots of resources, and I like my city placement to feel significant. Also, the competition to acquire strategic resources as they're revealed makes the game more interesting.

Pace: Standard

Mods: VP+EUI

Misc Settings: No ancient ruins, no tech trading, no tech brokering, no time victory, no barbarians (multiplayer stability), no events.

I'd like to add things like InfoAddict, Unit Path View, and a few other UI/QoL mods, but it seems like the game crashes much, much more frequently when I try to include them.

Edited to add a link to tu_79's mapscript thread.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Immortal, Standard Speed

Map: I bounce between Continents Plus and Fractal for the most part. I play Terra maps on occasion as well.
    Settings: No Events, Transparent Diplomacy (I leave all other settings on the VP default).

7. Coffee Monopoly

Coffee Monopoly Warlord

difficulty: Immortal
    speed: Epic
    map: Fractal, sometimes others. I've tried Communitu, PerfectWorld, PlanetSimulator,... None of them are as good as Fractal.
    size: either standard (8+16) or large (10+20)
    mods: VP with EUI, Quick Turns
    misc settings: all default

I find the events and ruins to generally be consistent enough to not overly influence the fairness of the game, and I like the flavour.

8. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

As far I could see it creates strange long stretched continents. I'll try create some and scout them with Reseed about resources placement. It seems many high difficulty players (Immortal/Deity) like it.

Communitu 79a 1.14: Tested it multiple times. Less land mass but sometimes the script did not place enough strategic resources or not the right ones on strategic balance. Ex. No horses or no iron in the vicinity of starting location.

About tech trading: I'd love if AIs sometimes TRADE them instead giving always an impossible answer. So I'm using them as a gold boost mid to late game selling Tech for 50/80 gold/turn.

9. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

It's intended. You're guaranteed a 2-horse node and a 2-iron node 4-6 hexes away from your starting position, so you always have to settle for them.

10. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

Trying communitu 79_a 1.14. Strategic balance. First inmpression is good. Similar to Planet simulator size wise. Iron and horses are just fine so far with some 2 and some rare 5 unit nodes. Will see about coal. Last time i played the map I had none in my whole continent.

Lost a game on Fractal - Standard. Small map compared to the other two scripts and atm Mongolia is just a juggernaut on anything with good land mass and CS nearby. Lost on turn 239 with Mongolia leading with 12 tech ad advantage and 21 cities. Behind Attila: me with 8 cities.

11. TranceBlossom

TranceBlossom Warlord

_ Difficult: Emperor.
    _ Map: Communitu 79_a 1.14
    _ Size: Standard, Small if I'm playing a domination game because moving dozens of units across the map isn't fun
    _ Pace: Standard.
    _ Resources: Strategic Balance
    _ Settings: No Events, No Ancient Ruins, Yes Research Agreements, Promotion Saving, Transparent Diplomacy. All Victory conditions allowed.

_ Mods.
    A bunch of UI mods but none that affect gameplay aside from VP
    Occasionally some custom civs

12. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Difficulty: Immortal
    Map: Mostly Frontier (If I want some water) or Highland (else), sometimes Terra or Ice age
    Speed: Marathon
    Size: Huge (to prevent myself from conquering it all in the first 2 ages)
    Settings: Default, except tech trading no, science agreements yes, transparent diplo. I would like to have raging barbs on, but this unbalances Authority.
    Mods: Ingame editor, to replace lost floodplains under razed cities.

13. Recursive

Lost flood plains under razed cities seems like undesirable behavior to me, maybe something that could be fixed. :scan:

14. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Difficulty: Emperor. Used to be King, but I've adjusted my playstyle to be slightly less insanely ambitious - that, together with the settling changes in general this year, I find myself in a pretty nice place where it's challenging but I can come out on top if I don't completely mess up.
    Map: Anything and everything I feel like. No real preference. Sometimes I just hit random map.
    Speed: Marathon
    Size: Large or Huge. I enjoy having some turf to settle before I'm dragged into territorial conflicts.
    Settings: Close to default, though no tech trading or research agreements. Random civ pretty much always, excepting the few times I want to do a civ-specific thing like warmonger puppet empire Venice or wonder spam Egypt. Occasionally less civs per map if I really want to stretch the 'wide' into 'stupid wide'.
    Mods: Wonders Expanded, 34UC, Unique City States, Resource Revealing Rework, Enlightenment Era, Quick Turns

15. JohnnyNT

JohnnyNT Chieftain

difficulty: Immortal
    speed: Epic
    map: Frontier, with strategic balance
    size: Huge, 14 civs
    mods: VP with EUI, InfoAddict, 3/4UC, Wonders Expanded, Enhanced Naval Warfare, UI mods
    misc settings: barb GG points, no events, transparent diplo

Depending on the initial steamroll, it can be super easy (last game with Sweden, DomV on 423) or a bit of a slog (current Shoshone game, sieging Atilla on turn 300, no conquered capitals yet)

16. lunker

lunker Warlord

Difficulty: Emperor/Immortal
    Map: Communitas
    15 Civs 30 City-States
    Speed: Standard
    No Events, No Ancient Ruins, No Tech Brokering

17. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

As I feared many of us prefer to disable events. About maps: lately playing with Communitu 79_a 1.14. Changing rain or sea level had a strange effect creating an Archipelago like world. Fractal is crazy random. I found that without strategic balance on resources some AIs do not develop or snowball hard.

18. Coffee Monopoly

Coffee Monopoly Warlord

Disabling events would be like disabling religion or disabling the world congress, imo. They're an integral part of the gameplay and the rest of the game is balanced around them.

19. Teholb

Teholb Warlord

Events are not really integral. They're just like Ancient Ruins, in that they introduce a random element which is, in fact, more difficult to balance around. When I play SP with ruins and events, there's always at least one runaway civ. When I don't play with them, as in MP, runaways are much more rare.

glider1, Bromar1 and TranceBlossom like this.
  20. TranceBlossom

TranceBlossom Warlord

What makes you think that Lmao