Events and the AC

Mewtarthio

Emperor
I personally believe the idea of an oncoming apocalypse is a great way to start up a good old-fashioned battle between Good & Evil, and the current system works just fine with various massive disasters striking at predetermined points. What I think would really increase the immersion, though, would be for the world to break apart in more subtle ways as well. As the world approaches its end, it grows more evil and chaotic.

In short, a higher AC should mean an increased number of negative events. As of right now, I feel like I've got to take the event screen's word for it that everything's going to hell unless my own lands are covered in Hell terrain. It's possible that a few really nasty events would be saved for the AC to break a certain threshold (a bit like Pestilence now, but also things like massive crime sprees, or the people giving in to despair in the face of their fate), and several events should only occur below a certain threshold (when everybody's extreme rage gets concentrated and manifests as an enormous monster, to whom two-thirds of the world's armies swear alleigance, I don't think anyone's going to care if they find some very lovely prarie dogs near Innsmouth).

Actually, many disaster events can only happen if the AC is high enough allready, though more like that could be interesting.

Actually, many disaster events can only happen if the AC is high enough allready, though more like that could be interesting.

Really? I know Pestilence needs a high AC, but what are the others?

As a side note, I'm talking about going beyond simply adding more events with AC prerequisites. I'm also talking about making normal disasters--such as bandits raiding farms--more common as the AC rises.

One should also ensure that more Good effects can ONLY happen below a certain level. Encourages people to keep it down and whatnot :)

Actually, events flavored toward the Civilizations who are set to desire high AC (is it just the Sheaim?) should work just the opposite. As the world goes to hell, they finally have the time to kick back and notice how cute Praire Dogs really are...

I actually think that there should be an AC range for things like Blight and the Horsemen. Ie Blight could happen anytime between AC 35 and AC 45. It would add randomness to it and reduce the players ability to manipulate it.

10 is too narrow a range IMO, make it something like 25-70 for blight, with a check made each turn the AC goes up, and the likelihood starting out really low and increasing each time. Move both ends of the band up slightly for horsemen, say 40-80.

Every idea in this topic is good except for the "less random good events" one.

Top Bottom