Events? e.g. volcanic eruptions in Civ6

Manifold

ModderProtectionAdvocate
Has anyone seen or heard about random events in Civ6? Like natural disasters, volcanic eruptions, earthquake, flood, drought, hail...?

This things must not only be negative? Also positive events would be cool, or?

EDIT:
By the way I only can recommend the mod of Infixo just everyone to try it out.
Infixo said:
I have published the first playable version in "Unreleased Mods" section here.

Last edited:
I loved that feature in Beyond The Sword, but it doesn't seem to be in Civ6. Would be a nice feature for an expansion.

Could be fun. Meteors could destroy improvements or "pillage" districts but could give science and/ or be excavated and be put in museums.

Just need to balance them. Barbarian level annoying?

Would love to see this as well, I like RNG, it can help create narrative in your little storylines. Did you play England that got hit by Mt. Vesuvius? Or where you Arabia beset upon by terrible tsunamis in the 12th century? etc. etc.

Also kinda disappointed that Civ VI hasn't updated the barbarian formula over time (I am, however, LOVING the new barbarian scout mechanic). Would love to see them evolve over time, eventually turning into piracy.

I actually like the idea of adding realistic weather patterns to the game including rain, drought, hurricanes, and so on. rain would increase food on plains tiles while drought would lower food. If i were to place a city near the coast where hurricanes commonly strike i could expect to lose a couple population each time until i reached the modern era a built a weather station it would also destroy pre-modern era ships as it moved each turn modern era a later ships just get a movement penalty. Also add fault lines with adjacent tiles with increased production but periodical earthquakes that destroy some improvements/buildings. But mainly it would just be cool to see the weather happening on the map if it is realistic and not just random.

I actually like the idea of adding realistic weather patterns to the game including rain, drought, hurricanes, and so on. rain would increase food on plains tiles while drought would lower food. If i were to place a city near the coast where hurricanes commonly strike i could expect to lose a couple population each time until i reached the modern era a built a weather station it would also destroy pre-modern era ships as it moved each turn modern era a later ships just get a movement penalty. Also add fault lines with adjacent tiles with increased production but periodical earthquakes that destroy some improvements/buildings. But mainly it would just be cool to see the weather happening on the map if it is realistic and not just random.
Weather patterns would be visually interesting, but most of the game plays out in time scales that wouldn't make sense at all for weather or even climate phenomena. I mean, turns are measured in decades in the early game--time enough for several famines and surpluses.

Weather patterns would be visually interesting, but most of the game plays out in time scales that wouldn't make sense at all for weather or even climate phenomena. I mean, turns are measured in decades in the early game--time enough for several famines and surpluses.

True but they do have day/night cycles that don't make sense either

True, but the day/night cycle is just an aesthetic detail with no game effects. They could do the same with weather, but that would be rather counter to the whole "map readability" thing.

Typhoons, floods, blizzards, hail...are also weather, they would be cool,

I also love the option to ship over oceans without the required tech but with the risk to sink the ship like it was in earlier civ games, but this is another suggesstion.

And also unit movement takes hundreds of year for just one or two tiles. and my ships are often hundreds or thousand of years on their way over the sea and I get every turn a briefing about new discovered civs, CS, land and fishing grounds.

Game time and map scale is just symbolic.

So here are my suggestions for a volcanic eruption:
A volcanic region is a spot on the map like a diamond with 4 tiles. There is a lens that shows this spot and a notification when discovering after the invention of Nature Philosophy.
These tiles had a bonus +1 food and +1 faith. That brings an immense benefit at the start.
But with a chance of 1/200 per turn a volcanic eruption take place. On turn before the volcanic eruption take place a notification occur if the tech of Nature Philosophy is present.
A volcanic eruption means everything in the volcanic region get destroyed and these 4 tiles get useless for 10 turns. Every adjacent tile (10 tiles) get pillaged, land units damaged and naval units destroyed.
One city that controls and work at least one tile of the volcanic region loses half of the population (minimum 3 population) but get one settler for free (refugees).
For every lose of a population point the affected civ gains 10 points for a Great Person (because of the extraordinary experience of the civ).

Is this balanced?

loved that feature in Beyond The Sword, but it doesn't seem to be in Civ6. Would be a nice feature for an expansion.

Me too. While I agree natural phenoms might not work as well given the time passage between turns, what I did like from Civ4 where those events that either a) gave one-time boons/busts (i.e. Diplomacy points for royal marriages between civs), or b) gave players bonuses for completing quests (i.e. Build six colloseums in x turns in preparation for Olympic games).

Yeah, it is role-playing flavor that some players might not care for, but some of us enjoy the challenge and fun that random events bring. It forces players to play unexpectedly, which is great for a game like civ where we often pigeonhole ourselves to playing the same strategy over and over again.

Imagine random event like tsunami destroys your most powerful city or cripple it beyond recovery. Or random uranium discovery resulting in a nuclear apocalypse 15 turns later. In a tournament multiplayer game.
I started to hate random events after Civ1 tragic story involving pirate raid event (destroys all accumulated production torwards current project) and Hoover Dam wonder. 1 turn before finishing afromentioned wonder, the city where the wonder was building got hit by pirate raid event and 580 :hammers: lost this way. 2 turns later an enemy civilization has finished this wonder and become a runaway leader in space race. The whole 4-hour long game is lost because one single RNG twist! :c5angry: And to add more insult, the Automobile tech that rendered obsolete barracks in my city (and all others worldwide) was discovered by very same rival!

Imagine random event like tsunami destroys your most powerful city or cripple it beyond recovery. Or random uranium discovery resulting in a nuclear apocalypse 15 turns later. In a tournament multiplayer game.
I started to hate random events after Civ1 tragic story involving pirate raid event (destroys all accumulated production torwards current project) and Hoover Dam wonder. 1 turn before finishing afromentioned wonder, the city where the wonder was building got hit by pirate raid event and 580 :hammers: lost this way. 2 turns later an enemy civilization has finished this wonder and become a runaway leader in space race. The whole 4-hour long game is lost because one single RNG twist! :c5angry: And to add more insult, the Automobile tech that rendered obsolete barracks in my city (and all others worldwide) was discovered by very same rival!
I think it goes without saying that random events should be more flavorful than game-changing. *glares at the Borg in Birth of the Federation*

True, but the day/night cycle is just an aesthetic detail with no game effects. They could do the same with weather, but that would be rather counter to the whole "map readability" thing.

Events like civ 4's iteration of them would be counter to the whole "strategy game" thing.

It is *possible* to make events require strategy, with tangible benefits for being well prepared and cost tradeoffs where a different choice is optimal depending on the situation. Civ 4 didn't do that though, it mostly added junk that had zero or negative strategy value (IE punishing player for doing something still-optimal as a skill equalizer, or just conferring some good or bad stuff with no interactivity whatsoever). The quest aspect of them was better, but limited in scope.

I think it goes without saying that random events should be more flavorful than game-changing. *glares at the Borg in Birth of the Federation*

There were events in civ 4 that could delete cities or instantly kill you before you could possibly prepare. Even after that got patched out, it was still possible to be set back 10-20 turns early game or to lose 10000 :hammers: of stuff in mid-late game if unlucky enough. Those were game-changing outcomes beyond dispute, with no realistic counter-preparation or alternative decision-making.

Long story short, events were largely not impactful or broken in civ 4 and until Firaxis comes up with a way to give them interesting tradeoffs, they should remain in whatever bin into which they were tossed.

Add an initially hidden climate map on top of the regular map. The terrain itself can't perfectly model the climate that you would experience there (not all grasslands are equal).

The rain map determines how much rainfall your area gets, if you are in a higher rainfall zone, maybe you have %food bonus on farm tiles but perhaps also a disease problem from water born illness, such as periodic disease outbreaks that cause growth limitations until medicine is discovered. Might be interesting to at least make it more interesting to see how it changes the way the game is played.

I think it is a great idea. And if you don't like it turn it off. These random events could help the AI a bit, you should just look at it as another challenge. Because ultimately, the AI will not be a match for a human player, that's just how it is.

I remember having made a thread about this a while ago. This is the post I made back then :

"I know the Civ had natural disasters in the past, and certainly, myself among others, hate to build Something and to see it ruined because of "bad luck".

However, I truly believe that adding natural disasters could bring much more value into the game, not only because they can ruin weaken a superpower of the game (or an unlucky weaker power, or even you), but also because it is Something that happened throughout history.
But should it be implemented just like that, in a way of "a natural disaster may occur but whatever, it's not like you could do something about it" ? No. Anti disasters structures are known and have been built for more than 2000 years. And that is the main part of my post : add natural disasters while adding at the same time features that prevent them or at least reduce the damage.

There could be 6 types of natural disasters :

1. Volcanic eruptions

The 3 tiles around the volcano produce 1 food more than regular grass tiles. Indeed, volcanic lands are known for their fertility. However, the Volcano may erupt, causing wreck around those tiles and a loss of population.
However, as you advance through times, shelters may be built, reducing the lost population, build anti-ashes structures, to reduce damage, and in the modern era, build a national volcanic research center to be freed from any danger.

2. Earthquakes

Of course, earthquakes may occur any time, any where. When it would happen, there could be earthquakes of magnitude 3, 5, 7 or 9. The magnitude indicated the diameter of the number of tiles touched by the earthquake. In a magnitude 7 earthquake, the tile 4, which is the center, would the most casualities, with the damages being reduced as we get further from the center of the quake.

However, you may build sismic structures to prevent damages, , and the more times passes, the more resistant structures you can build. In the modern era, you can build the national seismic research center to prevent any damage from earthquekes (it also applies to tsunamis).

3. Cyclones/tempest/tornadoes

Tornadoes and Cyclones follow a rather random way and may may appear anywhere, wrecking havoc your population and buildings.

Again, you can prevent it, by simply building shelters, anticyclonic structures, Firemen, and the meteorogical research center to be totally protected from it.

4. Tsunamis

Tsunamis only 2 tiles far on the coast, destroying everything in their passage.

As you guessed it, shelters, anti-tsunami structures are your friends to prevent damage from the big waves. However, tsunamis being caused by earthquakes under water, the national seimic researh center protects also from tsunamis.

5. Floods and Droughts

Sometimes, weather is not on your side. Floods and droughts reduce the food production and production of the affected tiles.

However, you can prevent these by sending caravans with food to you affected cites, and the meteorogical research center (the same as for cylones and tornadoes) may protect from any further problem.

6. Epidemics

Epidemics happen, one the worst being the black plague. Your buildings and districts do not suffer, but your units and population do, losing everyturn some HP and population. Also, if healthy unit enters an infected area or is attacked by an infected unit, it can become infected. If the player plays the game right, he could make the epidemic into a pandemic.

Thankfully, there are way to reduce the epidemics. Building sewers, medical camps and hospitals. Reaching a certain technology, like penicilin or vaccines, may end the epidemics crisis and protect your people from further problems.

All these features could be gathered into a "prevention and protection district", and add some spice into the game, while not making it a problem you can't fight against. Plus, your spies could inform you if some civs have ... natural problems.
But if someone truly hates random event that may ruin his game "unjustly" (or maybe he didn't build anything to prevent it) could still go to Advanced options and deactivate natural disaters."

Top Bottom