1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Events invovling Somnium

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Dogfax, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Dogfax

Dogfax Chieftain

Had this idead that maybe in the future we could have events that would include Somnium? For example you could find an old Sorcerer in a lair and he challenges you to a game..Win and you get to keep him, lose and he turns barbarian and attacks!

Perhaps you could make a rare event/wonder where by all leaders have to partake in a tournament.. each putting up either a city/culture/techs/money.. winner takes the losers stake? perhaps the if linked to a wonder then the games would happen every 100turns for example.... possible or am I just dreaming here?

2. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

The first why not, the second only as a special game mode for hardcore Somnium freaks, but not in the vanilla FFH, because not everyone likes Somnium so much as you do. Don't understand me wrong I think it's a quite nice minigame, I play when my friends are in war in MP and I have finished my turn, but I don't want to have it a meaning for every game I play. Also you would have to give the game more diversity if you want regular tournaments. Perhaps you could give every leader a special card with a unique effect on the game or something like that.

3. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

I think these are really cool ideas. A wonder that initiates a Somnium tournament played for real, substantial gains would be very interesting to me. Imuratep's point that you wouldn't want to be forced to play Somnium if someone else built the wonder is a good one, but I think that's a problem that can be worked around. For instance, you could make it so that a human player could decline to play (but AI players never do). I think this would be best implemented as a wonder and not an event, to make sure that anyone who builds it actually wants to play the Somnium tournament.

Any ideas for cool rewards you might get for winning the tournament? To make it worthwhile you'd have to make the reward more interesting than just money that someone else puts up (i.e., it shouldn't be a zero-sum game). A special piece of equipment might be interesting.

4. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

I like the random event idea. it's definitely not intrusive and it's flavourful :)

5. Dogfax

Dogfax Chieftain

Thanks for the feed back guys..just thought that by adding it to a wonder or and event wouldnt make it compulsary, but would maybe open it up to people who havnt played it before and tie it close to the game.

How a bout a unique unit for the tournament winner? or a special building?..

just thoughts, but I felt they were good enough to share:lol:

6. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

How about an event triggering on becoming head of the Over/Undercouncil? "*Leadername* isn't happy with the result, and challenges you to a Somnium game with the leader post at stake. Should s/he lose, *Leadername* will pay you (x) gold per turn for (n) turns. Do you accept?"

No forced Somnium, a relevant challenge.

7. Imuratep

This idea is interesting, but only for the Undercouncil as it is strongly connected to gambling. The Overcouncil is just too "serious" to decide results by gambling.

8. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Kilmorph sez, good for yer pocket, good for yer soul!

9. Imuratep

Only that it's Lugus they are following...

10. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Dwarfs tend to follow RoK. And I'd bet Junil would so love to be umpire of the match...

Seriously, maybe the Overcouncil would require specific wording, but I can't see how common membership would exclude a bloodless game. In ancient societies feats of abiilty were considered signs of the Gods' favor.

11. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

I really like the idea of finding a wise guy in a cave, and having him challenge you to a game of Somnium for great justice. Decline for no bonus, win for bonus, lose for slight negative penalty.

12. EmptyWolf

EmptyWolf Priest of Winter

That would be a neat event for a liar. As the bonus he could give an item/artifact, gold, a promotion, or simply having a 'mage' join you as Dogfax suggested. Declining as Zechonophobe said would mean nothing really happens. Outright aggression, a trap, or a hostile summon would be the result of the unstable sorcerer going berserk upon you losing. To make sense the wording should be that he challenges your unit exploring the lair to a card match.

13. Dogfax

Dogfax Chieftain

but is it possible to implement?? :confused:

14. psychoak

psychoak Warlord

Dear God no! Maybe if it doesn't run in multi-player games... Somnium takes so long with high lag. :(

15. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

If somnium events/decisions then only with option "[ ] No Somnium" ... I hate somnium

16. zup

zup Emperor

Heh. I once played an Illian game. I wanted a permanent alliance with Alexis before I did draw. She was av so I was in a luck. (No tech trading though). It took me lets see, +4 for mutual war, aristocracy, soul forge, giving her tons of resources for free, fend for themselves, giving her every tribute she asked (she was the leader in game score and military power). Pretty much ruining my relations with whoever else was not furious with me yet, because she was almost as hated as me. I was with her on Undercouncil (not that there is a downside imo.) And then it took me several reloads to win her in somnium for the final relation boost to friendly. I had -1 modifier for declaring a war on her friend, Faeryl probably. (She had some -50 total with me for several dow and city razings.)