1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Every time I try to build a world wonder, at some point the game says (city) can no longer work on

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by LGWolf, Jul 6, 2019.

1. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

Every time I try to build a world wonder, at some point the game says (city) can no longer work on (world wonder).

I get no pop up saying that another civ has built it.

This is on vanilla Civ 4. I know I should be on BTS but I can't load my save games from BTS and I'm very far into my current game.

Your help to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Maybe you are researching techs that obsolete these wonders while you are building them?

3. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

The simplest answer, and the only one if this happens to multiple wonders, is that the game doesn't report that another civ has completed a wonder even when they have. Alternatively you're teching things that obsolete the wonders you're trying to build or the buildings needed to build them (not sure if that can happen in vanilla, but in BTS at least you can lock yourself out of the Statue of Zeus by obsoleting Monuments too early).

I don't suppose you're running any mods at all? Just vanilla Civ IV?

LGWolf likes this.
  4. elmurcis

elmurcis Chieftain

Vanilla civ4? Stonehedge obsoletes at Calendar if I remember correct.

5. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

No mods just vanilla civ 4. I’m gonna try verifying my game file through steam just in case.

Thanks for your responses. Probably other civs have completed those world wonders as the game has never told me once that another civ has completed a world wonder. This ****’s buggy which i guess is why they released Beyond The Sword.

I think maybe I’ll just quit this game and start anew on BTS.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  6. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

Okay, so I'm playing on BTS and is it normal that the game still doesn't tell you that a world wonder you are working on has been built by another civ? It JUST tells you that you can no longer work on it? Is that right?

7. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

No? The game should tell you that another civilization has built a wonder if that is what happened. Maybe upload a savegame and let someone else take a look at what's happening?

8. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

It's right that the city will only tell you that it can no longer work on it, regardless of why it can't, but you should get an announcement along the lines of "The Pyramids have been build in a faraway land" when another civ completes a wonder. Check the message log to see if the reports are there? Maybe you disabled them from showing up, somehow?

gavenkoa likes this.
  9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I may be misunderstanding the issue here, but there has never been a "popup" that says a wonder has been built elsewhere - not like when the human finishes it. You will get an entry in your log, essentially a notification (and if you have BUG installed you will see this at the top of the screen as the log info appears). Also, a horn or some kind of sound will be heard when a wonder is completed or great person generated. You can also see what wonders are built on the Wonders screen (F8 or F9 I think..the info screen that has a demographics tab and graphs). Lastly, often a wonder is built but you don't get the notification until the turn after.

In other words, the information is there for you but the player needs to be mindful to look for it when pursuing a wonder.

gavenkoa likes this.
  10. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

The game should certainly tell you that a wonder have been built in a far away land, that goes for both vanilla and BTS. However it's worth noting that the "Built in a far away land" message will be one turn earlier than the "You can no longer work on this wonder" message in the game log.

Of course if you have partially built a wonder in one city and finish it in another, then you would get the "Can no longer work on wonder" message without the message about far away lands.

11. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Do you see any fail gold when you learn you can't build it anymore?

12. LGWolf

LGWolf Chieftain

How do I check the message log? Oh I found it:
    The book icon in the upper left corner

I'm currently building the Statue of Liberty so I will check if I can't complete it.