Everyone around me is going Piety!!!

macheteman

Chieftain
My first Immortal game as Celts on Standard/Continents I had neighbors of Carthage, Venice and Polynesia. All 3 of them had at least 3-4 in Piety before Medieval Era. I ended up losing a late CV game, so I moved onto Japan

Same deal. Continents/Standard as Japan with Korea, Byzantium, and Indonesia as my direct neights on my continent. Two of the three are at least 4 Piety deep before Medieval era.

Is this normal? Are their social policies dictated by anything I do? I haven't spent that much time on Immortal but it seems odd that the last two maps all of my direct neighbors have gone full Piety.

Depends on the VC they choose and other factors (if they got a faith boost from goodies/CS early on they'll want to develop/enhance a religion, for example). Do you disable any VCs? Limiting their choices might make them more prone to pursuing Piety.

AI levels up in social policies so fast in immortal. I had my first pantheon in immortal with 25 faith once.

You should rejoice :)
Piety is a crappy tree, and when the AI goes Piety, it means they are easier to beat.

Remember, religion does not win the game. If the AI (or you for that matter) is focused on religion, it is not focused on winning...

Agree with above, Piety is a terrible opener. If they burn 4-5 SPs there, so much the better. It's not the worst supplementary tree but it's awful as a first.

The AI seems to go Piety the most as their first tree, and never finishes it until Renaissance because of a lack of culture given from other trees. The next most common is Liberty, then Honor, but they rarely use the best tree, Tradition.

You should rejoice :)
Piety is a crappy tree, and when the AI goes Piety, it means they are easier to beat.

Yes but it means the player can't exploit and have fun with a supposed feature of the game - religion. It doesn't matter how strong of a start your religion gets there are always two or three AIs that flip all your city-states even though it doesn't benefit them at all. Makes being the Celts pointless.

Yes but it means the player can't exploit and have fun with a supposed feature of the game - religion. It doesn't matter how strong of a start your religion gets there are always two or three AIs that flip all your city-states even though it doesn't benefit them at all. Makes being the Celts pointless.

Unless I beeline religious buildings, its always a hit and miss for me, as the AI stampedes towards them. I like to get my worker up first, so my shrine is usually up by about turn 20-35ish, but by then, half the good pantheons are gone. Also, the AI will ALWAYS steal the one that'd benefit me the most, due to my starting area. And then at least one of them will pick all the abilities needed to spam 3 missionaries every 2 turns :/

Unless I beeline religious buildings, its always a hit and miss for me, as the AI stampedes towards them. I like to get my worker up first, so my shrine is usually up by about turn 20-35ish, but by then, half the good pantheons are gone. Also, the AI will ALWAYS steal the one that'd benefit me the most, due to my starting area. And then at least one of them will pick all the abilities needed to spam 3 missionaries every 2 turns :/
My last two Immortal games I've been religion bombed by a civ that went full Piety before I even could get my 2nd Great Prophet out. I've had entire continents (standard size) become a single religion before turn 150.

Unless I get Stonehenge and a natural wonder with faith, I seem to have no shot at producing enough faith to combat this.

Top Bottom