1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Everything that is wrong about the AI obsession with capturing CS in two images

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by leandrombraz, May 23, 2018.

1. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

I think the simple solution is attacking a CS is an automatic DOW on their suzerain, but I agree with some others about flavor and agendas being off here. All the AI's currently just seem to operate the same way when it comes to CS which is to absorb them. It doesn't make for very fun game play and it gets tiresome after seeing it happen over and over again. I don't think many people would be in favor of a system where the AI is handicapped and the human player has free reign to take them out - just a more nuanced system where some AI civs like the Mongols aggressively go after them and others like Georgia try to protect them. Currently no AI civ actively tries to protect city states from what I have seen.

2. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Agreed. Whatever mechanism is implemented to improve City State survival, it should impact human players at least as much as the AI.

Civ 5 didn't have this problem. There's no reason for Civ 6 to. I'm okay that the developers tried a different approach with Civ 6, but it's not working. Throw in the towel and revert to the Civ 5 system.

3. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Even though there's no personalities like in Civ V, there's some level of custom behavior linked to agendas. A clear example is Chandragupta, he always target a neighbor for war regardless of relationship. If you're his neighbor and he is friendly but won't accept friendship, prepare for war, he is coming for you. Other leaders also seem to have unique behaviors linked to their agenda but it's not as clear nor make as much impact as Chandragupta. My hope is that it's possible for Firaxis to add more unique behaviors to each leader, not only for CS interaction but more things that make them feel more true to their agenda. An overhaul of the agenda system as deep as the religions overhaul patch would be appreciated.

CSs should be conquered by the AI for sure. I don't like to conquer CS but I like to liberate them, it's a nice way to create conflict, mostly with emergency. Fighting for Toronto against Scythia while I was conquering the Netherlands was a real challenge, double horses + Defender of the Faith is no joke. The problem isn't that CSs are conquered but that it's way too excessive right now. My game have 20 CSs, there's 8 alive counting the ones I liberated and that are now being reconquered. That's too much, too fast (most fall in early game) and it brakes the envoys system..

From all the suggestions, this is the one I want the most. I'll never forget a game in Civ V where I was going for a Diplomatic victory, I was isolated on the map and too far of my CSs, then several Civs declared war on me. I kept my CSs alive through unit gifting, while I marched to their rescue and waited for the vote. It was a fun game.

4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Plot Twist: Persia can actually keep Brussels through a combination of happiness, religion, low influence from Khmer and no influence at all from my city due to cultural alliance.
    20180524144636_1.jpg

5. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

* Give them walls to start with.
    * Allow the Suzerain to spend gold on upgrading their units and defenses.
    * Conquering more than 1 CS results in permanent war with ALL CSs
    * If half or more of the CS's are gone, conquering any more also results in permanent war with CS's

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

At a minimum the leaders should be true to their agendas. It makes sense for Alexander to take the CS it shouldn't happen when it's contraindicated by the Civs personality.

7. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Have two mechanics. One being a Suzerain and another being a protectorate.

8. Cedbird77

Cedbird77 Warlord

While I agree I disagree. I agree that CS need better defense buffs wary on or the AI needs to be coded to attack CS less. Especially Ghandi and Curtis etc. Point taking...

But this is real life. The strong take over the weak.

Issues with allies and Diplomacy. Things get sticky and unfair in life. We have to make tough choices.

But I do think that there should be a way to protect your Suzerain status with Allies if they invade your CS

9. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

I don't get how the CS start with Ancient walls mod isn't more popular, it basically solves the immediate problem right away (while the programming side can be looked at etc). I've been using it for months now and can't play without it. The Odd CS gets taken but the majority remain in the game even when surrounded

10. Kyro

Kyro Prince

Let me add another to describe the desperation of defending City States from allies:

That's Chandragupta besieging Preslav with machine guns and me besieging his besiegement.