Ex-Marine Says Public Version of Saddam Capture Fiction

Ex-Marine Says Public Version of Saddam Capture Fiction

United Press International

A former U.S. Marine who participated in capturing ousted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein said the public version of his capture was fabricated.

Ex-Sgt. Nadim Abou Rabeh, of Lebanese descent, was quoted in the Saudi daily al-Medina Wednesday as saying Saddam was actually captured Friday, Dec. 12, 2003, and not the day after, as announced by the U.S. Army.

"I was among the 20-man unit, including eight of Arab descent, who searched for Saddam for three days in the area of Dour near Tikrit, and we found him in a modest home in a small village and not in a hole as announced," Abou Rabeh said.

"We captured him after fierce resistance during which a Marine of Sudanese origin was killed," he said.

He said Saddam himself fired at them with a gun from the window of a room on the second floor. Then they shouted at him in Arabic: "You have to surrender. ... There is no point in resisting."

"Later on, a military production team fabricated the film of Saddam's capture in a hole, which was in fact a deserted well," Abou Rabeh said.

Abou Rabeh was interviewed in Lebanon.

Source

Huh?! :confused:

Oh no! It was a well and not just a regular "hole" ! The whole thing must be fake, then! :eek:

I would like to go on the record here and claim that this whole article is a load of B.S.

Makes sense. Guess we'll never know. I would understand why the Us would make a fake video if they wouldn't have an original one.

Wow. If this is true, then I must say that the people who came up with that could be ******ed. Sure, the "hole story" denigrates him and makes the U.S. seem more successful, but it's not worth the risk of being exposed.

When Saddam was captured without a struggle and gave himself up like a lamb, the entire arab world was humilated that one of its great lions turned out to be a cowardly kitten. Now the rewriting of history begins so that the Arab world can save face. Im surprised its taken this long. Watch, a year from now the story will have morphed further into a ripping yarn of Saddam going down like Tony Montana, fighting off G.I.s with his bare hands when he ran out of bullets. The funniest part? Lots of people will believe it.

*Cough* Jessica Lynch

Aegis said:
*Cough* Jessica Lynch
Yep, all sides in a conflict rewrite history as it happens to make themselves look better. Its a practice as old as time:rolleyes:

So to the doubters, what does the former Marine have to gain from this story?

The U.S. government, obviously has a lot to gain. As BE mentioned, making Saddam look like a frightened kitten not even trying to put up a fight, much less those images where he looked lost and dumbfounded, serves the coalition cause well.

But a fighting Saddam (especially in light of the way his sons went out in a blaze of glory) would have given the insurgents a bit of morale boost.

So which is it? A rewriting of history, or a light of truth shown on the cave of fabricated stories?

Uh, could somebody recap the Jessica Lynch thing for me real quick? I may need a refresher on the public story as well as the real one . . .

so Aegis, are you saying that you doubt this story (and believe the government version), but not believing the Jessica Lynch "official" story? I'm confused if this is the way you see it.

I would say this makes more sense. I know a lot about Saddam's upbringing and such. He wouldn't have been held up. In fact, wasn't he drugged up according to Kurdish reports?

All these dictatorial 'strong men' are the same: cowards. When the poop hits the fan and its their own butts on the line, they cower in their bunkers like little girls. Look how Hitler ended up, he didnt even have the cojones to shoot himself. He took a bunch of pills like a stressed out housewife.

Bozo Erectus said:
All these dictatorial 'strong men' are the same: cowards. When the poop hits the fan and its their own butts on the line, they cower in their bunkers like little girls. Look how Hitler ended up, he didnt even have the cojones to shoot himself. He took a bunch of pills like a stressed out housewife.
He was addicted to a lot things before WWII even started...

Bozo Erectus said:
Actually, he took cyanid and shot himself, just to be sure.

I don't know if all dictators are cowards, either. Napoleon had a habit of walking around on battlefields, frex.

Last, please, dont put Hitler and Saddam in the same league with Nappy:eek: Hitler took pills AND shot himself?:crazyeye: Or did he take the pills and somebody else shot him?

Azadre, I know, Hitlers whole crew were a bunch of drug addicts. My point is that Hitler didnt go down like the big man he pretended to be.

Bozo Erectus said:
Last, please, dont put Hitler and Saddam in the same league with Nappy:eek: Hitler took pills AND shot himself?:crazyeye: Or did he take the pills and somebody else shot him?

Azadre, I know, Hitlers whole crew were a bunch of drug addicts. My point is that Hitler didnt go down like the big man he pretended to be.
According to the Soviets he did die that way. Saddam though, he was not afraid of killing people. He was actually mentally deranged. I believe he was the one who assisinated the previous Iraq president.

This is getting OT, so lets say, ok, Hitler shot himself. I dont think thats very brave either. Saddam was no braver than Hitler was. Especially not after 30 years of cushy palace life.

You think GW Bush would put up a fight?! :lol:

Anyway, I take "official" lines with a grain of salt, so who know where the real "truth" may be found. *cough*WagTheDog*cough*

Bush hasnt become a megalomaniac dictator yet, so I'll reserve judgement on whether he'd be man enough to go down fighting or not.

Top Bottom