1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Excluding certain terms when searching

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by God of Kings, Jun 13, 2017.

1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It would be great if the search function allows me to exclude certain items when searching.

For example, I want to search for Civ memes but not Gandhi. Unfortunately, whenever I search for Civ memes, using every exclusion method, Gandhi shows up.

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Civ memes -Gandhi (is the same as +Civ +memes -Gandhi) the search appears to only know + (for has to match) - (for exclude) and | (for or).

God of Kings likes this.
  3. God of Kings

Thank you very much. However, if I want to search for Kirby but not Smash Bros. in the "All Other Games" subforum for example, I used +kirby -smash, but discussions about Smash Bros. keep showing up.

4. ori

yeah well documentation of Xenforo functions is below par at its very best :gripe:
    Anyhow: curiously enough +Kirby -Smash doesn't exclude Smash but +Kirby -"Smash" does...

5. God of Kings

6. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

It seems to me that the minus sign in searches isn't working as expected. Whenever I use a minus sign in a search I get results that include the word I want to exclude and results that exclude the word. This happens no matter how I use (or don't use) quote marks. Can anyone use the minus sign in a search that only excludes a given word?

7. ori

Yeah I got fooled by a the search function deciding I was no longer just searching All other games :hammer2:
    Anyhow the - is supposed to work according to some google results, but does not even do so on the xenforo forum itself (which even in 2011 just received a
    shrug and "no one is using that anyways" from xenforo developers (which seems to be a theme with them frankly)).