1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Executive Order: Immediate Turnchat

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Democracy Game II' started by ice2k4, Mar 4, 2007.

1. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Another option would be to run an off-line session. As long as you take good notes and produce a good game log, there's nothing prohibiting it. I'd rather see more DP's with a few offline sessions than just a handful and only online sessions.

-- Ravensfire

2. 730195

730195 Warlord

With players from various parts of the world and various schedule considerations, finding a time that suits everyone may be difficult. What might help is a thread of Preferred Chat Times. If people posted their ideal hours for chat/play (in GMT to keep everything neat), a DP who had some flexibility could pick a time that let others join in. As it stands now, I would have no idea what time to play to maximize participation or to try to include folks in far-off time zones.

3. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Honestly - let the DP's pick their time.

Game sessions are a pain - right now they are short and with minimal instructions. I can remember sessions in past DG's that required spreadsheets to keep track of when to do what for whom. Sessions that lasted 5-6 hours. And that's not the worst by far. I believe CT had some that went over the 10 hour mark.

DP's know their schedule - let them set the game session. If people can make it, great. If they can't, oh well, join the vast majority of citizens that didn't. Point of reference - 3 people were in the chat room with me, with another lost. That's a mere 4 people.

-- Ravensfire

4. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I agree with both opinions. :confused:

It would be good for a DP with flexibility to schedule at times that a lot of people can attend. But life goes on whether the chat room is full or empty.

A question for ordinaryguy, you posted your timezone is +8, but not what times of day are good for you. I figure this weekend's one is not, given it is at 0800 (-7) which corresponds to 2300 (+8), but I often play at 2300 (-7) which is 1400 the next day (?) your time.

5. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

I see that my post has generated a lot of discussion :lol:

No, I can't, because the computer I use to play Civ is not the same as the one I use to access this forum. The Civ computer has the ability to play and chat at the same time, BUT I will not do so. The playing computer has been attacked before while chating (without downloading anything), and I would not risk having that happening again.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

6. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

Yes, I did think of doing that. But I usually have little time to play Civ, let alone take good notes or produce a game log.

I could nominate myself for DP, yes. But I don't think I would have the time to play a game and write in such detail. I would probably asked my turn to be skipped due to RL issues. But skipping my turn again and again...... You get the idea ;)

7. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Back to Civ!

Yes, I agree that the DP should play on regardless of the participation level in the chat room.

Of course, if the DP could schedule at the time of highest partcipation, that would be best. Maybe a thread could be started to discuss about this issue.

Regarding your question on what times are good for me, I could go online during the afternoon and evenings of weekdays (0800GMT to 1300GMT). During weekends, I just have to much homework to complete, unless my teachers were kind on that day. :lol: Thus, weekends are out for me.

I don't mind missing the game playing sessions. Here, I am just pointing out my situation.