1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expansion Civic Idea: Autonomy (Can anyone do this?)

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by ziamatt, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ziamatt

ziamatt Chieftain

I had an idea for an expansion civic: autonomy. With this civic you can grant a city or a specific group of cities autonomy, or limited sovereignty while still being loyal to you. You can name the autonomous group and set a particular strategy for it, such as making war preperations, expanding, or trying to increase research output. The cities in the group will then automate itself, building buildings and training units in line with its outlined strategy. The autonomous cities will then be able to make diplomatic contact with other civs and even wage war using their new units. You can choose to intervene in the city, though this makes the citizens resent you. The more you intervene in an autonomous city the more the resentment builds up. Also, due to the autonomy they've been granted citizens in a city are more likely to break away from their mother nation and form independent cities.

Pros: Cuts down on maintnence costs, still recieve resources from them, easier to manage large empires
    Cons: Lose some resources from them, citizens get angry if you bother them, more likely to declare independence in bad times

What do you think? Could anyone do this? I know it seems pretty ambitious but seems like it would be a fun civic.

2. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Interesting idea. Kind of automating part of the empire, lower cost vs less control.

I don't think it can be implemented under the current RFC model. Particularly the diplomacy contact with other nations.

3. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

I think this is somewhat already represented by "granting independence", tho by that you remove yourself of any sort of control over the liberated city. I think autonomied cities shouldn't be able to declare war and have contacts with other civs (they shouldn't be considered a civ themselves). This is so that they don't slow down the game, and also realistic since, lets take Scotland for example, they can't declare war on anyone can they? They aren't treated differently from England by other nations aren't they?

4. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

There is code that allows to liberate a colony and in BtS it creates a new Civ. In RFC the liberated colonies become Independent.

5. Lexad

Lexad royalcrownchinpokomaster

I think that adding a vassalage option when a new civ splits off/city declares independence - if the splitting civ is willing to accept it. Moreover, editing current voluntary "grant independence" (i.e. split off colony) options to consider cultural boundaries of the civ to arise and not just proposing splitting off whole 60% of your empire on the other "continent". Do not know if it'd be easy to code.