Expansion Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Xineoph, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Chieftain

Or like how Western Europe developed out of the ashes of the Western Empire. It's about the same distinction.

And Byzantium was closer culturally to Greece than it was to Rome, though distinct from both.

2. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

There was also an European nation/s. You're forgetting Scandinavia. Both Swedish and Danish Kingdoms were larger than Poland. And of course the Kalmar Union. King Gustav Adolf II stomped over Poland/Lithuania in the 30-year war like a bug. They were no match for 'em. I think you've all been talking about Poland as an empire. Sure they were large. But they weren't strong. Are there any signs of them ever being "strong". They're squeezed over in WWII and loss after loss agains Sweden. Poland - no thank you. I've got nothing against your country, but come on, you're not going to be in Civ.

Well, about Israel. They should be in the game. I don't know why. They just belong there. With religion in the game and all, along with The Temple of Solomon.

Civs I think should be in Civ IV Expansion pack:
    Scandinavia
    Israel
    Baby's
    Aborginees
    Portugal
    Korea
    Sioux
    Ethiopia
    Vietnam

Thank you very much

3. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

are there no maps that show the size of Swedish and Danish kingdoms? Well, these empire stretched to N-America so ... but I'm telling you. You're all forgetting Scandinavia in this big talk about Poland/Lithuania

4. SkippyT

SkippyT Who?

Yeah, and candidates for leading Scandinavia on Civ4 Expansion pack are:

1. Queen Margareth - United the whole of Scandinavia in the Kalmar Union. (Seafaring and finincial)
    2. Canute The Great - King of England, Norway and Denmark. (Seafaring and philosophical)
    3. King Gustav Adolf II - Swedish king and general in the 30-year war, great thinker also and good king. (Industrious and philosophical)
    4. Ragnar Lodbrok - Just because he was crazy and liked burning down towns. (Aggressive and seafaring)
    5. Harald "with his pretty Hair" - Norweigan king and total berserk. United Norway in the 7th century. (Aggressive and seafaring, like Ragnar but we can't have 2 total nutters in the game for Scandinavia, but they'll be the same)
    6. Olaf Tryggvason - King of England and Norway and brought Christianity to Scandinavia. (Industrious and spiritual)
    7. Leif Erickson - Henrique was in Civ3 for Portugal. Why not Leif. (Expansive and seafaring)

As you see, I want my leaders to be seafaring - Double production of lighthouse and harbor and new naval units recieve +2 exp. points when they are built.
    I just hope Firaxis will come to there sences and give ME MY VIKINGS.

Ps. would Poland have any leaders, if they would be picked? I'm just saying this because I don't know..

5. Menelik II

Menelik II Chieftain

Ethiopia most definitely must be in the Expansion pack:
    Rulers: Menelik II., Haile Selassie, Makeda (The queen of Sheba).

And I hope they won't add that new modern "star" in the middle of the Ethiopian flag, as they did in Civ. 3. They should take the age old "Lion of Judah" symbol.

Oh and they should add more historical cities such as:
    Adulis
    Matara
    Yeha

6. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Ethiopia for sure.

Ottomans.

Portugal.

The Celts, Scandinavians and Byzantines would be good but too euro-centric as is, so pos the return of the Zulus. At least one more East Asia civ, but given the rants on this thread not sticking my head over the parapit to say which...

What I want to see most are more leaders and a second UU for each civ. With only one UU the civ choice can overly determine whole swaiths of stratagy.

7. jaythewise

jaythewise Chieftain

Ethiopia, is one i would include as well and how on earth are the zulus not included? For east asia, how about khmer? Or even the mogols? (not mongols)

8. duderino

duderino Chieftain

The Dutch i would love to see. From a supressed people to freedom fighters to big merchants and the openn minded society of today. Leader(s) Willem of Orange for certain and maybe a Hugo de Groot, Queen Emma or a war hero like Michiel de Ruiter

Dude

9. Balzac

Balzac Chieftain

VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!

It's been said alot, but I really REALLY want vikings. Preferable with some mean UU. I remember a mod for civ3 where the bersekers had Nuke-like abilities, which seems only fair... :D

other than that... I don't care... JUST... BRING VINKINGS!!! (or scandinavians or danes...:D )

10. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

I'm hedging on a massive plot twist; the seas open up and spew forth lizardmen! Yar!

Also, I'm going to definitely mod in a Pirate civilization - arch-nemesis of the Robot civilization. Both maintain an uneasy, tipsy neutral relation with the Ninja civ.

11. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

Ethiopia and Israel are like most underrated popular civs.

Ethiopia being the only non-colonized African country. And Israel having so much history..but with no land.

I want to see Babylonians, Vikings and the other original ones as much as anyone else.

But Civilization is a tribute to the greatest civilizations ever that made history.

Axum and Israel definitely make the cut.

12. Koelle

Koelle King of Kings

Who are they?:confused:

13. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moghul

meh.

Contribution of Mughals in India

The first Mughal emperor Babur wrote in his diary Tuzk Babri: Hindustan is a country which has few pleasures to recommend it.... Indians have no idea of the charms of friendly society, of frankly mixing together, or of familiar intercourse.... They have no horses, no good grapes, or musk melons, no good fruits, no ice or cold water, no good food or bread in their bazaars, no bath or colleges, no candles, no torches, not a candle stick." The Mughals were superior to their Indian counterparts in war but also considered themselves so culturally. They had taste for the fine things in life - for beautifully designed artifacts and the enjoyment and appreciation of cultural activities They introduced many changes to Indian society and culture, including:

* Centralised government which brought together many smaller kingdoms
    * Delegated government with respect for human rights
    * Persian art and culture amlagamated with native Indian art and culture
    * Started new trade routes to Arab and Turk lands
    * Mughlai cuisine
    * Urdu and hindi languages were formed for common Muslims and Hindus
    respectively
    * Periods of great religious tolerance
    * A style of architecture
    * Landscape gardening
    * A system of education that took account of pupils' needs and culture.

I don't find them all that interesting. They helped India alot from what i can tell. But i prefer something on a more bigger scale.

14. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

As I understand it (and shoot me down) the people who united much of india prior to the brits. Eventually their power being broken up and the sub-continent being broken up. Introducing Islam into india as a religion of the ruling class, until the colapse of their empire, the arrival of the brits and eventually partition. Therefore the forebares of Pakistan?

Also as I seem to remember it they had a fantastically modern military around the time of fighting the brits. Possibly this was a different islamic ruler of NW india though...

Need someone from the sub-continent to chime in really.

15. ICBM'S

ICBM'S Chieftain

lets have adolf hitler for germany!!! i would play him just 2 get him as the holy city of the jews (joke)

16. ICBM'S

ICBM'S Chieftain

he he he he lets have the mongies!

17. Xineoph

Xineoph Prince

Mongies? Who were they?

18. Breunor

Breunor Deity

The Mughal empire was named for the Mongols, as spoken by some of the Iranians, but of course they were much different.

Politically, the Mughals are descendants fo the powerful Timurid empire. (Anyone who wants to play the Timurids in Europa Universalis II, and is really good, may be able to become the Mughals, who of course are a very powerful entity). Racially, they seem to be a mix of Mongol and Persian. Culturally, they adapted the advanced culture from Persia and later mixed it with their Indian conquests.

The Timurids, of course, are essentially descendants from the Mongols, specifically from a Civil War within the Chagatai horde; thus the connection along with a mix of Mongol in their blood.

They conquered most of what we now call India and Afghanistan, and were Islamic; actually, their rulers were Islamic although many or most of the people were Hindus. Their power base was in Eastern India.

They are a very interesting people. Culturally, they were apowerhouse. their greatest rulers were probably Babar, Akbar, and Auragzeb. Their power declined in the 18th century as Persia began to eclipse it, and were of course conquered by the British in the 19th century.

So, they wre a powerhouse from the early 16th to early 18th century and important for another 150 years. Of course, if you 'add' them to the Timurids, the Timurid/Mughal enpire is more improtant.

Best wishes,

Breunor

19. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Naturally, they will get a special Settler as their unique unit. :)

DA LIST AGAIN:

Babylon
    Dutch
    Ethiopia
    Iroquois
    Maya
    Polynesia
    Vikings

20. Napoliean

Napoliean Chieftain

I don't see the point to Civilizations like Greeks! they never did anything for the world. I mean they just talked crap all day long. The French are the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.