1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expansion Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Xineoph, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Conquerer22

The Conquerer22 Warlord

Britain describeds the island(mainly England) anbd not scotland or wales but UK describes those 3 countries and N.Ireland

2. The Conquerer22

The Conquerer22 Warlord

this guy is a guinues, maybe you should listen to him, lmao

3. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Quite right. In fact the term British doesn't mean anything. It was coined by
    the Romans as a general term to describe the people they found here. It
    didn't become a general term until the Act of Union between England and
    Scotland in 1701. Ask any Scots Nationalist about that. They would never
    accept the term British.
    I stand corrected about Stonehenge,as the Celts def. arrived later. In fact,
    recent carbon dating on nearby Tilbury Hill points to about 2400BC.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

No, Great Britain is the island on which the majority of the nations of England, Scotland and Wales are situated, while the British Isles refers to the entire set of islands, including Great Britain, Ireland, the Hebrides, Isle of Man, etc.
    England, Scotland,the UK, etc. are cultural-political entities, they do not correspond directly to geographical regions. That's why Scotland and England both cover multiple islands, the largest of which they happen to share.

Actually, most Scots, Welsh, etc. are actually quite happy to be called "British", even if they prefer their particular national title. Why shouldn't they? "Britian" is, in itself, an acknowledgment of their nations, and acknowledgment that the UK is more than just England. Sure, hard-line nationalists object, but they do not represent the majority of the population.

5. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

Here's what I think of the BtS civs.

Babylon: Why did it take them so long to get back into Civilization? Oh, well, now they're there, but I can't understand why Hammurabi is Aggressive (he was among Mesopotamia's shrewdest conquerers, but then again, many non-Aggressive leaders in the game like Asoka and Peter are also shrewd conquerers).

Byzantium: Why is everyone bashing this civ? It was Europe's most major power until the time of Charlemagne.

Ethiopia: Who IS Zara Yaqob? I had NEVER heard of him before BtS (and I had heard of the Khmer before then). Couldn't Menelik II be the leader instead? Although, then again, there did need to be more leaders from around that time period.

Holy Rome: Why is everyone bashing this civ? It was Europe's most major power until the discovery of the New World. Not to mention that Civ4 was lacking Medieval leaders, so Charlemagne had to come in.

Khmer: It was definetely about time that a Southeast Asian civ made it to Civilization. But why isn't Suryavarman II Spiritual and/or Industrious? He built the world's largest religious structure, which Europeans first thought to have been constructed by the gods.

Maya: Yaaaaaayyyyyy! And the leader is Pacal II instead of some silly "Smoke Jaguar" (who IS Smoke Jaguar anyway? I never find any information about him).

Native America: My US History teacher considers each Native American tribe to be equivalent to a US state, so I'm fine here. But couldn't they be represented by barbarians or something?

Netherlands: About time this civ made it in to Civ4. In addition to being a major world power during the Age of Discovery, the Dutch are today the prowd owner of the world's busiest port city!

Portugal: Nothing wrong here. Joao II looks a bit TOO Portuguese for me. OFF TOPIC: Did you know that the Caravel was a Portuguese invention?

Sumeria: Surprise, surprise. Love Gilgamesh's music by the way.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

abrakadabra, no need for "10chars"!

7. jeps

jeps Arcadefire

12. Chan Imix K'awiil ("Smoke Jaguar"); 628-695.

(leaders of Maya)

8. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I'm sure you're right about most Scots and Welsh, even though they see
    themselves broadly as Celts. Where I live, the locals never stop telling you
    they're Cornish not "bloody English" and even refer to outsiders as "emmetts"
    meaning ants. When you cross over the Tamar bridge at Plymouth, check
    out the sign. It says "You are now leaving England. Welcome to Kernow."
    Kernow is the original name for Cornwall. Me, I just laugh, as Canadian who
    has lived 30 years in London, and now 3 years in Cornwall. Love it though.
    Good beer, great cider and plenty of sea fishing. Can't beat it!!!

9. Traitorfish

Actually, the complaint was that it was Germany, and, to a lesser extent, France. The Rome complaint was more to do with possible confusion caused by the similarity of the names.

10. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

^^

He was talking about Byzantium...

11. Antilogic

Antilogic --

My complaint on the "Native American" civ is that it covers two entire continents of only tenuously-related peoples, and clearly only represents Plains Indians (totem poles, good archers, Sitting Bull, dog soldiers...all endemic of the Plains Indians, but not all Native American cultures). Not to mention that the Inca, Maya, and Aztecs are also "Native Americans". We could simply the game greatly by only picking a handful of geographic regions, but I would rather have more specific civilizations. The Iroquois were not a bad pick overall for a 4th native civ.

12. The Conquerer22

The Conquerer22 Warlord

Byzantium- still was, lasted the longest of all empires(1,100 years) AFAICR, so they should be in civ 4 and the expansions and not just the expansions. Proper term is the Byzantines.

Native America- Im not going to argue with you about the native americans to the state thing but in Canada when we were settling the west, there were over 900 tribes, and are you . .. .. .. .ing racist, calling them barbarians

Netherlands-And the city with no laws!

Potugal- Shouldn't he look Potuguese, what did you expect a Portuguese guy that looks like Wang Kon or something, how did you epect him to look?

13. The Conquerer22

The Conquerer22 Warlord

Ireland is not part of Britain . .. .. .. .. ., its been no longer part of Britain since the 1920's, so 80 some years of independence.

14. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Think he meant Northern Ireland. Anyway, about the Native Americans, they
    should have left it as the Iroquios, complex political organisation, settled
    agricultural economy, good size towns and devoped trading networks with
    the settlers. Damn tough warriors too. Not the Sioux or any other nomadic
    hunting culture. Why did they have to change it?

15. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

Totem Poles were carved by the Kwakiutl, Tlingit, and other Native Americans of that area (Alaska and the US Northwest). I can bet you the Sioux never carved one.

@TheConquerer22: I didn't intend to be racist. Sorry! But some barbarian cities in Civ4 ARE named after Native American tribes.

16. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

No, but it is situated on one of the British Isles.

17. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Fair point except the tribes you mention lived either on Vancouver Island
    or further up the coast of British Columbia. You left out the Haida. Totem-
    pole carvers and whalers in huge dugout canoes based mostly on the
    Queen Charlotte Islands and north B.C coast. Not the U.S or Alaska. Sorry.

18. Traitorfish

Unless that independence involving breaking off from Ulster and being towed out to the mid-Atlantic, then Ireland is still part of the British Isles, regardless of whether or not it was part of the UK. The British Isles are, as I said, a geographical region, and the cultural-political entities based around it do not have to match up perfectly.

Put it this way- is Canada part of the United States of America? No. But is Canada part of North America? Yes. And in that case the US has taken the name of two continents, not just that of the largest of a group of islands (Great Britain is a single island, remember).

19. The Conquerer22

The Conquerer22 Warlord

just dont say that to an Irish guy(to which I am one) it can be taken the wrong way, and I stress that fact, just be cregful of what you say, like one guy named Luffewaff88 or something like that made nazi comments, or at least neo- nazi comments, makes him a nazi, no just makes him seem like one

20. The Conquerer22

The Conquerer22 Warlord

take it as a warning k, may be a sore point for some people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.