Expansion Civilizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy never blog but I need help. How do you down load new units and use them in the game or patches. Been a civ fan for 10 years but only played the games. I would love to move forward more into the units and the game. Can anyone help out send me a mess step by step. Would be real greatfull:)

hey yall, just wondering about the expansion packs. which of warlords and beyond the swords is better and does beyond contain the components of warlords? and sorry for the questions but how well does internet play work? cool thank you much.

hey yall, just wondering about the expansion packs. which of warlords and beyond the swords is better and does beyond contain the components of warlords? and sorry for the questions but how well does internet play work? cool thank you much.

First, welcome to CFC [party]:band:[party]

Definatly BtS. It includes the latest version as well as some updated game concepts (such as corperations and espionage). Warlords contains some seanarios that are not in BtS, but BtS has even better seanarios. The added concepts of warlords (great generals only?) are in BtS.

I have never played on the internet, but as I understand it there are a number of diferent way to play, such as by email (you take one turn, email it to you opponent who then takes his turn) and pitboss (one person runs a server and everyone logs onto that and plays the turn simultaniously).

thanks for the info. i wanted to know so i don't go off and get the "gold" version that has the game and warlords if i can just get beyond the sword for cheaper.

HA! this is what happens when patriot idiots dont know their history.
Well, 7Star, I usually don't bother with politics but as a Canadian, I simply can't let your little diatribe go without at least clearing up a couple of facts.
First of all, I'll give you a couple of points for getting some of it right, and a couple for originality. Now, I'm going to edit your post a little for brevity and so that we don't bore everybody. While I do, I would suggest that you and anybody else who might like to see a more accurate history of Canada look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Canada
Edit: Canada hasn't even been fully independant since the 60's and the Queen of England is still the symbolic HOS!
Not quite true. Canada has been largely autonomous since it's actual creation in 1867. (Yes, as a Dominion within the British Empire with the inception of the British North American Act.) However, Canada was governed locally with very little interference from the UK, and has actually been a country since 1867. In 1982 we patriated our Constitution from Britain and formally dissolved our "semi-affiliated" relationship. For more detial, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Act_1982
BTW, the Queen is still our Head of State because we want it that way. In her role, (to us) she is the Queen of Canada. She never surrendered her power to us and when she represents us she is not representing the UK, and in truth, except for some very special powers, her role is largely ceremonial.
Although Canucks refuse to except it, Canadian culture is little more than British humor ( or humour ;) ) with American values, but without American morals.
90% of our TV (except in Quebec) comes from the US. What do you expect? As for American morals, let's leave that one for a bit.
Despite all this, the largest seed sown by the British monarchs, Anti-Americanism, has grown into an ugly tree that sends a bad precedent for the rest of the world.
While it is true that America was given a raw deal by Britain in the beginning of the US colonial expansion, and during the revolutionary war, and even for while afterward, I reject the idea that Britain has been the cause of all of the anti-American sentiment in the world. Britain, and Canada too, has grown into one of the staunchest allies the US has in the world. As Canadians, we largely owe our freedom and safety and a great deal of our economic security to America simply by our proximity to you. I won't dispute that at all.
However, as a foreign national, let me give you a hint about where the anti-American sentiment comes from:
1. The insistance by the current American government/G.W. Bush/American Media that America/Bush is "The leader of the free world." If you're an American, you probably don't realize how arrogant this sounds.
2. Iraq/Afganistan/Grenada/Vietnam, etc. America's tendency to meddle in the affairs of weaker sovereign nations, and worse yet, to invade for no good reason. (Weapons of mass destruction, anyone?)
3. People in other countries are envious of America's freedoms, its' culture, the wealth of most of its' citizens. Americans, in general, have one of the best standards of living in the world. Some people are bound to be bitter.
4. America's unwavering support of Israel. Now there is nothing at all wrong with this. Canada supports Israel too. (And it should). But you have to realize, this makes other factions in the middle east upset. And don't worry, we take a diplomatic hit for this too.
5. Some Americans (note the word "some", that means not all of them) when they travel behave badly, and treat the citizens of the host country like peasants/servants, etc. We have all heard the story of the "Ugly American Traveller." This is unfortunate because most of the Americans I have met while travelling are perfectly nice folks, just out to see the sights and have a good time. Some however, cast you in a bad light.
6. For Canada in particular: The Bush goverment's insistance that the Canadian ownership of the Canadian north is in question because "They can't defend it." The repeated attempts by Republican administrations to force Canada to capitulate to American demands for resources/political concessions/participation in military action, etc. by veiled economic/military threat or withdrawl of support for something we need. And last, the simple lack of respect that America treats us with. We are treated as the little dominion up north that will eventually be conquered/invaded/or basically absorbed.

With these points noted, can you see why there might be a little anti-American sentiment? At least from a "Foreigner's perspective?"

In closing my little off-topic rant, I would like to make a couple of personal points.
1. I do NOT hate Americans! In fact, I like them very much. Most of them are very nice, hardworking, honest people who really deserve better from the rest of the world.
2. Note, 7Star, I didn't slag your country like you did mine.
3. The moral compass of North America is pointing at "Pathetic." If you don't believe me, watch an episode of Entertainment Tonight, or Swingtown.

That's the end, boys and girls. My response was meant to illustrate and educate, not to offend. If you're offended, I'm sorry, but the OP offended me and I'm getting a little tired of anti-Canadian rhetoric.
I will speak no further on this matter.
LM

thanks for the info. i wanted to know so i don't go off and get the "gold" version that has the game and warlords if i can just get beyond the sword for cheaper.

I just thought, you know that you need the original as well as BtS to play the game? The gold edition is stand alone AIUI.

Well, 7Star, I usually don't bother with politics but as a Canadian, I simply can't let your little diatribe go without at least clearing up a couple of facts.
First of all, I'll give you a couple of points for getting some of it right, and a couple for originality. Now, I'm going to edit your post a little for brevity and so that we don't bore everybody. While I do, I would suggest that you and anybody else who might like to see a more accurate history of Canada look here:

Not quite true. Canada has been largely autonomous since it's actual creation in 1867. (Yes, as a Dominion within the British Empire with the inception of the British North American Act.) However, Canada was governed locally with very little interference from the UK, and has actually been a country since 1867. In 1982 we patriated our Constitution from Britain and formally dissolved our "semi-affiliated" relationship. For more detial, see here:
BTW, the Queen is still our Head of State because we want it that way. In her role, (to us) she is the Queen of Canada. She never surrendered her power to us and when she represents us she is not representing the UK, and in truth, except for some very special powers, her role is largely ceremonial.

90% of our TV (except in Quebec) comes from the US. What do you expect? As for American morals, let's leave that one for a bit.

While it is true that America was given a raw deal by Britain in the beginning of the US colonial expansion, and during the revolutionary war, and even for while afterward, I reject the idea that Britain has been the cause of all of the anti-American sentiment in the world. Britain, and Canada too, has grown into one of the staunchest allies the US has in the world. As Canadians, we largely owe our freedom and safety and a great deal of our economic security to America simply by our proximity to you. I won't dispute that at all.
However, as a foreign national, let me give you a hint about where the anti-American sentiment comes from:
1. The insistance by the current American government/G.W. Bush/American Media that America/Bush is "The leader of the free world." If you're an American, you probably don't realize how arrogant this sounds.
2. Iraq/Afganistan/Grenada/Vietnam, etc. America's tendency to meddle in the affairs of weaker sovereign nations, and worse yet, to invade for no good reason. (Weapons of mass destruction, anyone?)
3. People in other countries are envious of America's freedoms, its' culture, the wealth of most of its' citizens. Americans, in general, have one of the best standards of living in the world. Some people are bound to be bitter.
4. America's unwavering support of Israel. Now there is nothing at all wrong with this. Canada supports Israel too. (And it should). But you have to realize, this makes other factions in the middle east upset. And don't worry, we take a diplomatic hit for this too.
5. Some Americans (note the word "some", that means not all of them) when they travel behave badly, and treat the citizens of the host country like peasants/servants, etc. We have all heard the story of the "Ugly American Traveller." This is unfortunate because most of the Americans I have met while travelling are perfectly nice folks, just out to see the sights and have a good time. Some however, cast you in a bad light.
6. For Canada in particular: The Bush goverment's insistance that the Canadian ownership of the Canadian north is in question because "They can't defend it." The repeated attempts by Republican administrations to force Canada to capitulate to American demands for resources/political concessions/participation in military action, etc. by veiled economic/military threat or withdrawl of support for something we need. And last, the simple lack of respect that America treats us with. We are treated as the little dominion up north that will eventually be conquered/invaded/or basically absorbed.

With these points noted, can you see why there might be a little anti-American sentiment? At least from a "Foreigner's perspective?"

In closing my little off-topic rant, I would like to make a couple of personal points.
1. I do NOT hate Americans! In fact, I like them very much. Most of them are very nice, hardworking, honest people who really deserve better from the rest of the world.
3. The moral compass of North America is pointing at "Pathetic." If you don't believe me, watch an episode of Entertainment Tonight, or Swingtown.

That's the end, boys and girls. My response was meant to illustrate and educate, not to offend. If you're offended, I'm sorry, but the OP offended me and I'm getting a little tired of anti-Canadian rhetoric.
LM

for the queen of england part, the king and queen dont really play part in british government, they're just for looks. enlgand isnt much of a monarch anymore.

HA! this is what happens when patriot idiots dont know their history. First of all, Canada was only invaded once by the United States of America, in the War of 1812, which was NOT an imperialistic invasion of a neighbor as popularly potrayed. The Canadians were only remotely responsible for burning Washington, seeing as british redcoats invaded Maryland, not Canadian regulars. the war was fought for American economic sovreignty, as well as a reaction to british mistreatment of Americans abroad (impressment, anyone?). If your referring to the invasion of "Canada" in the American Revolutionary War, this was before the united States was even formed, and alll of the area was considered part of the british Empire, so everywhere that spoke English was fair game for revolution. Sparse population and Imperial sentiment are the only things that kept Canada from being part of the USA, similarly how the Royal Navy qwas the only thing keeping the British Carribean from jouining as well. Apart from that, Canada hasn't even been fully independant since the 60's and the Queen of England is still the symbolic HOS! Although Canucks refuse to except it, Canadian culture is little more than British humor ( or humour ;) ) with American values, but without American morals. Furthermore, this indepence you claim is very, very new, and was hardly gained peacefully. The American Revolution showed the British how to keep its colonies, and the Americans that fought them in 1776 and 1812 proved that to keep its North American Empire, Canada must be fortified and militarily strengthened, and to prevent pro-American sentiment, its politics must be centralized around anti-American sentiment. And in the mid 19th century, when America's stability was questioned, the British favored the doomed confederates, because that wuld weaken the US. When the civil war was won, Canada seemed fair game (manifest destiny eh? with no more slave states v.s. free states, the USA was free to go north ex. Alaska, 54' lat oregon). to buffer Canadian nationalism, the Dominion of Canada was formed as a British puppet state, created simply on the premises of anti-Americanist rhetoric, to augment British power and influence in the region (Queen Victoria was slicing up the world for her empire). The sad thing is, even after WWI, and WWII, when the British Empire collapsed and Canada could overpower the UK, Canadians remained loyal subjects of the queen's realm or a few more decades.Lesser nations were free before Canada. Australia and New Zealand peacefully withdrew before Canada. India withdrew before Canada. Burma withdrew. Tiny Brunei left before Canada grew the balls to. It took until 1968, two decades after the crumbling British Empire disinigrated, for Canada to leave the ranks of Gibraltar and the Falkand Islands to become an independant nation. Despite all this, the largest seed sown by the British monarchs, Anti-Americanism, has grown into an ugly tree that sends a bad precedent for the rest of the world.
for the first bit, Canada was infact invaded by the "patriot idiots" three or two times in the war of 1812, read a book for once. infact most of the war took place in canada and in the 13 colonies.
and the United States was formed 6 months after the revolution began, july 4th, 1776, even though we weren't independent just yet.

I would like to see Brazil's civ...

It's a young nation, only 508 years old. But it has a huge culture and history and population, etc...

I suggest as a leader Don Peter II, as a unique unit the Independance Dragons, who lead the Brazilian's Independance Revolution (Don Peter was one). And finally, I suggest that Peter be a Fin/Cre leader...

Many thanks!!!!

LM

haha. you know a lot about America for a foriegner. and i found the cracks on Swingtown and ET funny because they are pretty crappy shows. (if thats what you meant for it to mean?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJek
Can someone care to explain why Canada should be a civ? If Canada should be in it then why not South Africa, New Zealand or Montenegro for that matter

Because Canada played an extremly influential part of the 19,20,and 21'st century's. I really cannot see the reson why canada was not included originally when amarica was, other than the fact that civ 4 is an amarican game and amaricans have always been more than a little resentfull/ignorant of canada. (Probably has somthing to do with us burning the white house in a war that never happened according to them ).

I dont know if you've ever read in American History Book, but the burning of the White House is a huge part of the War of 1812. In fact a funny story of the burning of thw white house is that James Madison's wife fled the white house with Washington's Picture and fled D.C. so you need to get your history right. But the white house wasnt just burn, this was part of "The Burning of Washington" by British forces.

LM

From a European point of view, they really look like the same strange thing...
anyway, for us that, I think as Civ players, love the alternate history, I suggest to any north american (both side of the border) to read the "Timeline-191" series by Harry Turtledove..many books, but very nice.

What about the Republic of Venice as a Civ? Enrico Dandolo/Francesco Foscari as leaders, Galeas as UU (replace trireme) and Fondaco (replace Custom House) as UB. Don't forget that Venice ruled the Mediterranean from the XII till the XVI century!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJek
Can someone care to explain why Canada should be a civ? If Canada should be in it then why not South Africa, New Zealand or Montenegro for that matter

Because Canada played an extremly influential part of the 19,20,and 21'st century's. I really cannot see the reson why canada was not included originally when amarica was, other than the fact that civ 4 is an amarican game and amaricans have always been more than a little resentfull/ignorant of canada. (Probably has somthing to do with us burning the white house in a war that never happened according to them ).

I dont know if you've ever read in American History Book, but the burning of the White House is a huge part of the War of 1812. In fact a funny story of the burning of thw white house is that James Madison's wife fled the white house with Washington's Picture and fled D.C. so you need to get your history right. But the white house wasnt just burn, this was part of "The Burning of Washington" by British forces.

Uh, becuase the US is the most powerful country in the world and Canada is only one of the most. This is also in a time when we can't properly evaluate what is historically important or not since its OUR time.

I agree that Canada is powerful economically and it has its own distinct culture and has participated in the world wars, etc.

However, what impact has it had on world history? I don't really think the Canadian role in world history is big enough to include it w/o a mod.

Maybe I'm A Bit Biased Since I'm Irish But I Have To Say That Id Love To See Ireland As A Civ!! :d

Leaders Could Be:
Brian Boru
Niall Of Nine Hostages
Queen Maebh/medb
Hugh O'neill (the Great O'neill, The Earl Of Tyrone)

The closest you get is the Celts.
I suppose you could rename the civ and cities if you wanted.

Welcome to the Forums éireann abú. :beer:

Here are mine:
Minoan- Leader: Minos Unique Unit: Minotaur (replaces Axeman):king:
Daloan- Leader: Daedalus Bonus: Get free Great Engineer every 20 turns
Spartan- Leader: Helen Unique Unit: Spartan (replaces Spearman and Swordsman [can switch weapons] )
Trojan- Leader: Hector OR Paris:);):(:D:p:blush::rolleyes::mad::eek::lol::cry::confused::cool::crazyeye::scan::king::nuke::goodjob::sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom