Expansion Ideas: Continue ruins into the mid game with "Sunken Treasure"

Skindoe

Chieftain
First of all I want to thank G and everyone involved for this great mod. I have recently started playing in 2018 and love a lot of the new ideas. However while playing I came upon the following realization. While there is a new emphasis on scouting in this mod with the new units. On Continent games when one is locked and in many other scenario there really is no real need to focus on scouting. Now an idea I have to solve this would be to add many different "Sunken Treasures" randomly into the ocean. These treasures would be like a ruin except much more powerful like upgrades such as a vast amount of gold/technology/Culture/Population boost which can greatly help mid game. However the catch is that these Sunken Treasures can only be seen and dug up by the explorer take 5-10 turns to dig up and once someone finds one it's location is revealed to everyone on the map (The last two parts isn't necessary but would be a cool way to make Naval Warfare a more integral part of the game)

This makes sense from a realistic perspective and also allows both the improved scouting mechanics and improved naval combat from the AI a chance to shine.

I thought I'd throw it out there because the way I play I just put my scout on auto explore and I think this would encourage players to focus more on discover mid game.

What do you guys think?

First of all I want to thank G and everyone involved for this great mod. I have recently started playing in 2018 and love a lot of the new ideas. However while playing I came upon the following realization. While there is a new emphasis on scouting in this mod with the new units. On Continent games when one is locked and in many other scenario there really is no real need to focus on scouting. Now an idea I have to solve this would be to add many different "Sunken Treasures" randomly into the ocean. These treasures would be like a ruin except much more powerful like upgrades such as a vast amount of gold/technology/Culture/Population boost which can greatly help mid game. However the catch is that these Sunken Treasures can only be seen and dug up by the explorer take 5-10 turns to dig up and once someone finds one it's location is revealed to everyone on the map (The last two parts isn't necessary but would be a cool way to make Naval Warfare a more integral part of the game)

This makes sense from a realistic perspective and also allows both the improved scouting mechanics and improved naval combat from the AI a chance to shine.

I thought I'd throw it out there because the way I play I just put my scout on auto explore and I think this would encourage players to focus more on discover mid game.

What do you guys think?

No new mechanics are being added to the mod.

I've already explored this concept as a mod component which seems to be very unlikely to do so, and Exploration and something by JFD has this already.

I've already explored this concept as a mod component which seems to be very unlikely to do so, and Exploration and something by JFD has this already.

Wait, it does? I've used that mod before. I have no idea how I could have missed that.

Wait, it does? I've used that mod before. I have no idea how I could have missed that.
Maybe I wasn't supposed to say it, but it's basically ancient ruins in water.

That was an option in JFD ExCE, not sure if it was enabled by default but yeah it was working and work just like ancient ruins.
But it's not include in JFDLC anymore but some of the ExCE features are only temporarly disabled.

Top Bottom