Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

Yes, religion has been and continues to be an important of history but nothing like the way Civ4 implemented religion (i.e., all generic, no differences).

I agree, I think most of us would like to see diverse religions in a game. It's why we like mods like Rise of Mankind that give us unique religions and inventive ways of dealing with them. I think a diverse religion system can be a great addition to the game if implemented right.

Awesome!

I did a search and I found this!
More info: http://www.webhallen.com/spel/pc/149528-civilization_v_expansion-gods_and_kings
Not sure what's not yet known, but I've cut-pasted a bit:
Expanded Epic Game: The core game experience has been greatly expanded with the addition of new technologies (like Combined Arms), 27 new units (like the new 1-hex ranged unit Machine Gunner), 13 new buildings (like the Bomb Shelter), and 9 new Wonders (see below). Additionally, there are even more new units and buildings included in the four new Scenarios for modders to use.
[...]
Establish embassies at foreign courts for closer ties (or clandestine operations). As the religions of the world start settling in, and the world moves into the Renaissance, you unlock your first spy (with more to come).
[...]
Ally with Marrakech to get access to their unique luxury resources! Vatican City and Jerusalem are holy cities that play key roles in the religious struggle.
[...]
Additionally, all embarked units now have Defensive Embarkation, and can stack with a naval unit for extra protection. Add to this the new Great Admiral, and the high seas have become a much more dangerous place.
[...]
Three new Scenarios:
o Medieval: Grow your medieval kingdom into one of the great nations of Renaissance Europe, fending off outside invasions from Mongols and Ottoman Turks and fighting the religious wars of the Crusades and Reformation!
o Fall of Rome: Play as either Eastern Rome or Western Rome trying to fend off the barbarians OR as one of the barbarians themselves.
o Empires of the Smoky Skies: Build flying airships and huge tractor-like tanks from the unique tech tree of this Victorian science-fiction scenario, and use them to spread your empire across the pre-industrial world.

As a release date it only says Q2. I think. My Danish/Norwegian/Swedish(?) isn't that good.

strange in giving embarked both stacking and defence, I always thought just making embarked into civilian units made sense (like workers) and then be able to stack them with one military ship... Bomb shelter will be nice (I assume it will minimize the effect of nukes, perhaps even other bombing)

that's how I read that section, that embarked units now are civilian ("cargo boats") and thus can stack with one naval unit. It's the same principle as on land and thus the same combat system we know. And of course it's something everyone assumed would be in vanilla civ and is the only logical way to do it from day one on as it get's easier to protect naval invasions and it lessens the chaos of units on the sea tiles...

But civilian land units can't defend themselves, whereas embarked units now will be able to...

(I wonder what will happen with embarked civilian units :confused:)

It looks like the naval portion of the game could get much more interesting. I've never been a big fan of that part the game in any of the Civ versions, and Civ V it's really bad. But it sounds to me they've made a big effort to correct that.

strange in giving embarked both stacking and defence, I always thought just making embarked into civilian units made sense (like workers) and then be able to stack them with one military ship

Well, the key difference is that you rarely have cause to send a load of terrestrial civilians across land together, whereas with an overseas invasion, you have a huge fleet of potentially undefended units to ship across.

If there was stacking, but no defensive embarkation, the situation wouldn't be a whole lot better than it is currently, unless you're building a naval ship for every unit.

I like this approach: you can stick a frigate or a destroyer to protect your key units, but know that your unstacked soldiers won't be immediately hoovered up by a lucky caravel. Not having to babysit the transports gives your warships flexibility to deal with ranged attacks from enemy ships.

I like Marrakech. It means almost certainly the Moors (or Morocco) won't be in, but it'll still be a nice tribute to them as a City-State.

I'm more disappointed in Vatican City. Rome as the home of the Pope has been historically important, so it is necessary, but it still seems a bit weird having the couple of city blocks behind a wall as a separate state. Still, I suppose it's no worse than Istanbul and Constantinople. It might take a bit to get used to, though.

Well, the key difference is that you rarely have cause to send a load of terrestrial civilians across land together, whereas with an overseas invasion, you have a huge fleet of potentially undefended units to ship across.

If there was stacking, but no defensive embarkation, the situation wouldn't be a whole lot better than it is currently, unless you're building a naval ship for every unit.

I like this approach: you can stick a frigate or a destroyer to protect your key units, but know that your unstacked soldiers won't be immediately hoovered up by a lucky caravel. Not having to babysit the transports gives your warships flexibility to deal with ranged attacks from enemy ships.

Well it also means that "Defensive Embarkation" might be changed, so that the units have a Low melee defense (ie they can probably be one-shotted by a warship/airplane of the current era).. and if you Don't want them to be oneshotted, then stack a real warship on top of them.

I did a bit more digging into anandus's link, here's what I've found

Expanded Epic Game: The core game experience has been greatly expanded with the addition of new technologies (like Combined Arms), 27 new units (like the new 1-hex ranged unit Machine Gunner), 13 new buildings (like the Bomb Shelter), and 9 new Wonders (see below). Additionally, there are even more new units and buildings included in the four new Scenarios for modders to use.

• New Civilizations: The expansion will deliver 9 new civilizations, such as Carthage, Netherlands, the Celts, and the Maya (it is 2012, after all), along with their unique traits, units and buildings. The expansion also includes 9 new leaders including William I, Prince of Orange, Boudicca and Pacal the Great.

• Religion: A righteous people will seek out Faith to found a Pantheon of the Gods. As your Faith becomes stronger, you can cultivate Great Prophets who build on these simple beliefs to create a religion that you can customize and enhance as desired. Are you tolerant of other religions or is this the one true faith? Are you focused on Gold, Arts or Military? Beliefs can even unlock custom buildings that only people of your religion can construct. Great prophets, missionaries and inquisitors help you spread your beliefs to other lands and gain the alliances of City States, and like-minded civilizations.

• Enhanced Diplomacy and Espionage: Establish embassies at foreign courts for closer ties (or clandestine operations). As the religions of the world start settling in, and the world moves into the Renaissance, you unlock your first spy (with more to come). Send them out to establish surveillance of foreign cities, steal advanced technologies from your strongest or wisest competitors, or interfere with city-state alliances. All of your actions can have a diplomatic impact if discovered, so always tread carefully.

• City-States: Two new city-state types have been added (Mercantile and Religious) to bring all new advantages to the table. The city-state quest system has received a complete overhaul to decrease the importance of gold and add a whole range of new quests that further the narrative of the game, as well as make the diplomatic victory a more varied option. Ally with Marrakech to get access to their unique luxury resources! Vatican City and Jerusalem are holy cities that play key roles in the religious struggle.

• World Domination: The fight for world domination is now more dynamic than ever before. The Gods and Kings expansion features a reworked combat system and AI that puts more emphasis on a balanced army composition. The new system allows your lines to stand longer than they could before, so you, as a player, can make smarter tactical decisions without worrying about a single unlucky roll of the dice.

• Naval Combat: Your navy is now split into two different ship types, melee and ranged. This means that no coastal city should be considered safe, and can now fall to a surprise naval attack. Additionally, all embarked units now have Defensive Embarkation, and can stack with a naval unit for extra protection. Add to this the new Great Admiral, and the high seas have become a much more dangerous place.

• New Wonders: There will be 9 new Wonders with all new effects including Neuschwanstein, the Great Mosque of Djenne, the Terracotta Army, the Great Firewall, and the Hubble Space Telescope.

• Three new Scenarios:
o Medieval: Grow your medieval kingdom into one of the great nations of Renaissance Europe, fending off outside invasions from Mongols and Ottoman Turks and fighting the religious wars of the Crusades and Reformation!
o Fall of Rome: Play as either Eastern Rome or Western Rome trying to fend off the barbarians OR as one of the barbarians themselves.
o Empires of the Smoky Skies: Build flying airships and huge tractor-like tanks from the unique tech tree of this Victorian science-fiction scenario, and use them to spread your empire across the pre-industrial world.

Still feels like it is missing something. These things take time, but I still feel BtS had more things going for it.

Still want to see a greater plethora of resources. Unique resources sounds promising, but I feel we are lacking strategic resources as is.

I would also like to see colonization and corporations brought back in at some point. Especially colonization since that was a huge deal in history. There should be engines where colonies can develop into independent CS's or multiple colonizations can combine to form a new civilization with a new leader.

Also I'd like to see an engine where CS's with similar interests in close proximity could forge alliances, becoming a new civilization in so many turns until the alliance is broken, rather than just being rivals to one another. For Mods perhaps since no Civ game has ever had that mechanic.

And we need more future era type stuff. Not just a scenario but something in the game.

I think saltpeter as a strategic resource would help a lot.

It would also need a new building to go along with it... siege workshop or something.

So add the hammer bonuses with that.

And then you can cap cannon count or something. Cannon spamming is kinda ridiculous as is.

I'd like to see a strategic resource for every era to be honest. Iron is useless in the late game. And you can't get it until well into the classical or late ancient era earliest.

That way, you cater your build to the land. If they added copper as a strategic resource and you had loads of copper, best make your move in the ancient era. Copper could be more of a gold bonus as well as a resource cap for spearmen.

Saltpeter would help in the Renaissance era.

There would be a bias start if you were playing as Greece or Persia for example (more copper). I don't think it narrows game play either because you can play with balanced start if you so choose.

I don't think it is a knock to cater civs to when they were relevant in history. As that civ, you want to make your move at the height of when they were in power, and conversely kill off other civs that play more favorably into the late game.

This is the first time I read news on G&K and was bummed out.

Jerusalem CS means no Israelites in this pack...and likely no Israelites in future DLC.

and likely no Israelites in future DLC.
Korea became a DLC, even though Seoul was a CS.
Although I doubt there'll ever be Israelites as a Civ, for several reasons.
But on the other hand, both Judaism and Jerusalem is in the game and maybe there's even another CS? (Samaria or Masada or something?), so that counts for something.
But plenty of room for modders, that's for sure.

Top Bottom