Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

I gotta be honest, I'm glad Pacal is actually scary looking, not boyish looking like in Civ 4.

Pacal is looking amazing.

Just last week I was wondering if this game was dead..ha.

Pacal is looking amazing.

Just last week I was wondering if this game was dead..ha.

I don't know why people thought the game was dead when it got patched in December. This should be confirmation that the game is far from dead.

I would also like to see CSs be a bit more complex other than just being bought off with gold (instead of those quests maybe open an embassy with them, build a road, convert to your religion etc to improve relationship - make them more of a small civ).

The Gamespot article and the IGN article indicate that buying out city states will not be as important as quests:

http://asia.gamespot.com/sid-meiers...brings-big-changes-to-civilization-v-6350514/
City-states are also being expanded in numerous ways. "Feedback suggested city-states were dominated by who had the most gold and could offer the most gifts," Beach said. Therefore, completing city-state quests will become the most effective way to gain influence over them. City-states can now offer multiple quests at once, and some, such as "generate the most faith in 20 turns," don't require direct action from the player.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218810p1.html
In basic Civilization V you could influence city-states by giving them gifts and completing basic quests, but most people didn't bother with the quest part. Firaxis wanted to change the dynamic, making you feel like more options exist outside of winning through the might of your economy. To this end they've put a greater emphasis on the rewards for completing quests for city-states, as well as given the option to take them via espionage. Like every other part of Gods and Kings, religion has been worked into the formula as well, with the option to convert city-states to your faith.

Fantastic news. I was initially afraid the nine "new" civs would include the DLC ones, but given that five brand new ones have already been confirmed, that would appear not to be the case. :)

I'm pretty eager to find out what the other civs are: I'd love to see Ethiopia/Kongo/Zulus to fill in the current African void and, perhaps, another Native North American civ. We already have three new European ones, and another Asian one would likely be something entirely new (assuming Siam and Khmer have too much overlap to both be included). Indonesia, perhaps?

All in all, this seems like a great expansion. The religion mechanics especially have piqued my interest, which is a surprise, since I didn't really miss Civ IV-style religion at all.

I would like a new South American civ, given that only one exists down there, but that's unlikely.

I sure hope there are more than the "traditional" civs, though, as that's all we have seen so far.

I would like a new South American civ, given that only one exists down there, but that's unlikely.

I sure hope there are more than the "traditional" civs, though, as that's all we have seen so far.

I want too a new south america civ, but who? Tupi? Guarani? Or modern state?

Well, personally, I think there are a lot of cool options.
Trying to stay away from the Andes, though, I would say the most likely for a post colonial are Gran Colombia or Brazil, and the most likely for natives would be the Mapuche or Tupi.

Religion… oh NO.

So now I have to go again true all that nonsense of Buddhist Arabia fighting Islamic Byzantine or trying to convert Taoist Germany. I hate this. Shrink.. I guess I will have to stick with vanilla Civ 5.

Somehow, I had a filling they will ruin it for me.:sad:

And espionage.. It’s like cheating to me.

Really bad news for me.:sad: Unless.. I only hope they would sell any of new civilizations as a DLC so I can just add them to Vanilla game. What do you think, will that be possible?

Well.. Or maybe I’ll just go to retirement from this game.:(

* Machinegun! Early tank! Biplanes!! I think WW1 was such a revolution in war, nationalism and destruction of many empires of old. Here it gets the best treatment than in any civ.

Agreed, adding early dreadnaughts will make it perfect for the period.

I don't know why people thought the game was dead when it got patched in December. This should be confirmation that the game is far from dead.

Well it had been well over a year with nothing but a bug patch here and there, even DLC had stopped for a long while. Meanwhile they spent a lot of time working on terrible civ facebook apps, and 2k Greg had disappeared..thats where the paranoia kicks in. Yeah, I was worried they gave up on it.

"this should be confirmation" no ****, you think so...

So by "embassies" is there a Diplomatic Unit that disappears when it reaches a foreign city? Like Call of Power?

I dunno... I'm kind of underwhelmed. Is it just me?

Espionage was never well received in Civ4 afaik. And "purchasing" a religion just sounds funny. And the new civilizations are not that exciting, almost after thoughts.

Maya, Dutch, Celts, Carthage, Byzantium.... That's five... Other four? Austria, Brazil, Portugal, Ethiopia? All come to mind.

Yeah, I feel the same. I'm a faithful Civ4 advocate, maybe that's why I never quite warm up to Civ5 (kind of sad after 500+ hours logged on steam). I don't mean this to be a rant, but I think except for the hex grid, everything else is a step backwards from Civ4. Ppl are saying this new expansion will do to Civ5 what BtS did to Civ4, from what is announced, I'd say i really wish that's the case.

Religion… oh NO.

So now I have to go again true all that nonsense of Buddhist Arabia fighting Islamic Byzantine or trying to convert Taoist Germany. I hate this. Shrink.. I guess I will have to stick with vanilla Civ 5.

And espionage.. It’s like cheating to me.

Really bad news for me.:sad: Unless.. I only hope they would sell any of new civilizations as a DLC so I can just add them to Vanilla game. What do you think, will that be possible?

So Taoist Germany bothers you, but Rome being destroyed by their neighbors, the Inca, doesn't? Civ is alternative history; I can't imagine why religion getting blended into the mix would bother you so much.

And espionage is cheating. But it has been important throughout the history of civilization as a great leveler. Hell, the entire Cold War was due to successful Russian espionage. Without it, the U.S. would've been a run-away Civ, but instead, we had a hell of a game.

There's a history nerd anti-Zulu sentiment (which I share). I can't imagine it is widespread. The more important question is whether the Zulu will have a fun play style. If they do, they'll probably be in ;)

Top Bottom