Expansion Pack PREVIEW!

monkspider

Warlord
Looking through the game files reveals a lot of unused material, much of it hints at what may be to come in the first expansion pack. Leaderheads, flags, and even a possible new unit were found after a little digging.

Of the leaderheads, Augustus and Menes seem to be most complete. They have concept art, and even some lines of dialogue in some of the files. It is important to note that before E3 all of the previews that were coming out mentioned there were 19 civs. After E3, the number changed to 18. Many of us speculated on which civilization was dropped. It seems that we now know who that 19th civ was: Sumeria. Sumeria seems to have come the closest to making it in. A flag depicting the Sumerian beast of burden, the Aurochs, possible UU art, and concept art for a leaderhead (as well as a smaller button for a second). A host of smaller 10x10 buttons were created for leaders that apparently were considered at some point. I hope that we see a lot of these in the future, in particular Meiji. It is interesting that the Sioux were included over the Iroquois. I can only imagine that this was done because the Sioux have more recognizable leaders (Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse).

The flags were very interesting as well. To see what can only be a Viking flag was very cool. Perhaps the most useful revelation to come out of my work was finding two alternate flags for existing civs. A flag depicting three eagles was found which was intended for the English, but could be used for Persia also as their symbol has historically been a similar looking lion.The Prussian Eagle was very cool to see also. There is another flag that I originally was clueless on, but it has thus been brought to my attention that it is a flag for Byzantium used in the Earth 1000AD scenario.

The unused unit artwork is very intruiging. While it looks generic enough, it is not used by any unit in the game, and appears to be in the time period that it would be used for Sumeria. It is referred to only as "Vulture". It should be noted that there is some history of Sumeria using artwork of vultures to depict some kind of a major victory.
http://joseph_berrigan.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/vulrurestele1red.jpg
http://joseph_berrigan.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/vulrurestelevulturesa.jpg

Will we see at least some of these leaders and new civs in an expansion pack? Personally, I would bet on it!

Without further ado, I present the first preview for Civilization IV's expansion pack to appear on the web!

-edit original post updated

Attachments

• xppreview.JPG
    xppreview.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,625
I did notice that Khan and Shi Huang Di was switched in the final release. Might have been a mistake.

Let's hope that you're right. Augustus was my top-choice for second Roman leader.

As for the banners. Isn't the 'alternative Persian flag' actually some kind of symbol of Denmark? I remember seeing it in Europa Universalis II.
The one you have no clue about. The original banner for Holy Roman Empire in 1000AD-scenario?

The flag you don't know is a christian symbol as to who would use it I don't know either.

Lucky The Fox said:
Let's hope that you're right. Augustus was my top-choice for second Roman leader.

As for the banners. Isn't the 'alternative Persian flag' actually some kind of symbol of Denmark? I remember seeing it in Europa Universalis II.
The one you have no clue about. The original banner for Holy Roman Empire in 1000AD-scenario?

I don't like Augustus as the second roman leader. Augustus (nee Octavianus or Octavian) was basically Caesar's successor. His lasting contribution to Rome was that he ruled long enough to keep the "republic" together. If he'd died earlier Rome would have had another civil war. I'd rather have someone from one of rome's different eras. Say, perhaps, Coligula (sp?) or even Romulous or Remus. That would be something. They'd have to have some growth traits and maybe financial.

zeeter said:
I don't like Augustus as the second roman leader. Augustus (nee Octavianus or Octavian) was basically Caesar's successor. His lasting contribution to Rome was that he ruled long enough to keep the "republic" together. If he'd died earlier Rome would have had another civil war. I'd rather have someone from one of rome's different eras.

Hm? Are we talking about the same Augustus? The one who ruled Rome during it's time of height, travelled around the empire, filled Rome with marble and made it white, the guy whose boyfriend drowned in Nile?

There's other, older ones in there, like:

interface\scrollbar (althought I think I might've seen it somewhere in the game)
interface\buttons\brown_empty
interface\screens\civics

:)

Lucky The Fox said:
Hm? Are we talking about the same Augustus? The one who ruled Rome during it's time of height, travelled around the empire, filled Rome with marble and made it white, the guy whose boyfriend drowned in Nile?

Might be Trajan. He had a boyfriend who he was desperately destaught over drowning in some river.

Edit: Or Hadrian

zeeter said:
Might be Trajan. He had a boyfriend who he was desperately destaught over drowning in some river.

Edit: Or Hadrian

I think he was being sarcastic - Augustus did not hold the Republic together at all - he did not even try. He became ruler of Rome outright; he just left the Senate intact for the people.
Augustus turned the Republic of Rome that was slowly falling apart because the Senate was inept, into the Roman Empire - which became ridiculously powerful and lasted forever.

Ontopic - I saw a couple of those flags in Rhyes flag expansion thing.

yes, Augustus is too close of a time period with J. Caesar. A better choice would one of those two and maybe someone from the republic (Marius or Sulla) or later empire (Trajan, Hadrian, or Marcus Aurelius --> he would definitely be philosophical)

note about Pericles - he is a leader in the scenario Greek World - he is leader of the Greek city states while Alexander is leader of Macedonia. o btw if you haven't yet - play this scenario you will be suprised at how good it is.

I noticed there is a lot of discussion over whether or not that guy is Augustus. If you check out the file, I believe it is actually named Augustus, so I would stick with the fact that it is probably him. Not that it couldn't change, just likely to be him. Also, some of that stuff is used in the scenarios if you haven't noticed it. The flag with the three lions is used for England in the 1000AD scenario. Also, I think the yellow "no clue" flag is called a Laberum or something like that. It is used for the Byzantines in the 1000AD scenario. Don't remember about the rest, but I'm looking forward to the first expansion (although it's probably some time away :( )

:D

Top Bottom