1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

experience is not awarded if the enemy escaped

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Mr. ZorG, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

after winning the naval battle with West Indiaman, my Pirate Frigate did not gain experience due to the merchant ship escaping. I believe that this is wrong, since the merchant, although not destroyed, was defeated. can this omission be corrected?

upload_2021-1-14_18-55-19.png

2. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

yeah I've noticed this as well. Even if the enemy escapes it's still a battle and thus some battle experience should be gained imo

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

If the goal of the fight is to either destroy the enemy or to capture the goods it is carrying and you achieved none of that then I do not see a need for XP for a fight that gained you nothing and - after the other ship has been repaired- could as well have been a draw.

4. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

destruction occurs by inflicting damage and it happens. and therefore must be the experience, albeit minimal. what am I wrong?
    when you failed to sink an enemy ship, he did not run away, but simply left the battle - experience is awarded. here the situation is the same, only the enemy ran away far))

Vaeringjar likes this.
  5. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Plenty of historical naval engagements that ended in a "tie". Read one the other day where after a long and hard fought battle, the merchant ship managed to just sail away, leaving the pirate ship full of very frustrated folks. Most naval battles I've come across, even with dozens of ships on each side, had seemingly few ships sunk overall. So the norm was for a ship to survive battle and not being sunk in the process.

6. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

and yet it was an experience for the crews:old:

7. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

Yep, ships being outright sunk was a very rare occurence in the Age of Sail. Line tactics were the main reason why larger naval engagements usually ended uneventful and undecided. Until Nelson decided to ignore the battle doctrine...

Every battle/skirmish should - entirely independent of its outcome - add to the experience of the units involved, even it's as low as 1 point.

Vaeringjar and Mr. ZorG like this.
  8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

Was it defeated? A merchant vessel is no warship. It´s goal in combat is not to sink the other ship, but to escape with their goods unplundered. Even the historical rules of war, which were very strict that a warship had to fly it´s own colours before firing the first shot and to have their colours up if not to signal their surrenter, if not to be in violation of the rules of war, were far more relaxed in that a merchant could even pretend to submit by lowering it´s colours and still attempt to run.

The merchant achieved it´s goal. upload_2021-1-16_21-21-53.gif

The Pirate Frigate´s intention is to either sink or capture the enemy vessel and/or to take over valuable goods from the merchant - it did nothing of that. Yes, it did fire a few shots at the merchant, yet that was futile.

If anyone should gain XP from that skirmish it is the merchant who sit´s safely in harbour, drinks a bottle of rum or beer upload_2021-1-16_21-18-7.gif from the profits of his shipment that he safely transported and laughs about the amateurish pirate that he so obviously outmaneuvered... upload_2021-1-16_21-22-37.gif

9. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

As per my previous argument, and knowing that in-game the mechanic works in that the ship has a chance of escape when it would otherwise be destroyed/captured, which is seen in-game by the very low health they have upon escape, both sides should definitely get XP.

Edit: also, the losing ship does get XP

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Mr. ZorG likes this.
  10. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

the merchant received damage, so the gunners hit the target, increasing their skill. accordingly, experience, albeit +1, should be awarded.

Vaeringjar likes this.
  11. HiFiPanda

HiFiPanda Chieftain

Agree, the failure is also a kind of experience. I just think that the merchants upon running away should receive more EXP than pirates, after all their purpose is not a combat so when that happens and they get alive it must be a very valuable lesson.

BTW, because of how it works right now I usually use my strongest privateer to weaken the enemy as I expect it to run away and then finish it off with weaker pirate to get EXP.

Also, 10% tax in 1690? :)

12. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

yes, the amount of money allows you to refuse to increase the tax. and after that you can pay "kickback")))

13. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

114k gold? Won't the king just show up asking you for half of it??

14. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

I always refuse him)))

15. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

That's not very nice of you, plus you'll miss out on cool rangers and their beaver hats with dangling tails

16. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

I know. this is an experiment)