1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain to me culture please!

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Vorpal+5, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Vorpal+5

Vorpal+5 Venturing in Erebus

Sorry I feel dumb, how culture works in the game? I mean English, Zulu culture, not culture points...

I start as the English... My first city don't have the prerequisites to be ever an English culture city... How will I be 'real' English then? Can Culture spreads from city to city perhaps, so I need to find a coastal city with an apple resource?

Also, if I have a culture, am I prevented from getting another, right?

2. climat

climat Chieftain

1. Yes, you need to found a coastal city with apple to get Culture (English).
    2. Culture does not spread because it's "a building" currently.
    3. Cultures are regular buildings. One culture does not exclude others. :)

3. Vorpal+5

Vorpal+5 Venturing in Erebus

so London, if I don't have an apple resource will never be 'English' even if others cities are in my civilization? That's weird implementation imo...

4. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

You can also get cultures that have no playable civ such as the Swiss, Tibet, Navajo, etc.

Thus just because you choose the English as your civ doesn't mean you civ will develop into that civ.

5. Praetyre

Praetyre Chieftain

I've often thought it would be a good idea to (some day, it's obviously very low on the priority totem pole being cosmetic and all) tie language/city/unit style to whatever culture you built first for that very reason. You'd need a couple of generics to fill in, but that shouldn't be too difficult (Asian cavemen work just as well as they do for China as they do for Japan, and I'm sure you could get away with reusing similar graphics for early Mesoamerican and Polynesian/Aboriginal units). They all start off in huts speaking in grunts, anyways...

6. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Chieftain

Just because the unique units (UU) and buildings (UB) aren't available doesn't mean you aren't The English Civilization. After all it says so in the scoreboard.
    Culture is more a way to gain access to various UU and UB and Heroes. Which ones depend on your cities access to certain features, resources, and other cultures.
    You are basically rewriting history depending on location. In this mod it's location, location, location that's the key. Plan cities on features, land, resources, the more you have inside a BFC the better your chances of getting UU's and UB's and Heroes.

Cheers

7. bill2505

bill2505 Chieftain

at first i had problems with this but now i have find a way to solve this.in world editor delete one of the resource your city has or going to have and add the resource you want

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I hate to see people feeling they have to resort to is sort of thing. How about a game start setting that allows you to assert that you want to be some specific culture, the effect of which is for the game to slightly modify your starting position to ensure the necessary resource combination in the vicinity? (in a future verson I men, I'm not suggesting that this necessarily be implemented as a high priority)

9. ClassicFrog

ClassicFrog Chieftain

And what about American (USA) culture? It needs both American (continent) and English culture that are not possible to obtain other than (i think) playing as Americans and conquering a city off English player with English culture present and then building your own native one and then American (USA) culture.

What chances are there for that? Slim at the very very best.

Perhaps if the culture worked more like religions or corporations and spread on its own favouring cities with certain conditions then it would feel more natural. As it is now to be honest id prefer an option to go back to the old way of picking one certain civilization with UU and UB unlockable in the tech tree.

10. bill2505

bill2505 Chieftain

it would be good but
    if there would be something for all civs it would be more cool

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

That's what I meant - a startup custom game) option that allowed yo to select ONE target culture

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I expressed my opinions on this here. Since that discussion, its been one of my top priorities to give this system an overhaul.

Additionally, I have ALWAYS thought this whole mechanism should be presented as a game option due to the incendiary nature of how drastically it changes things. But we were unwilling to do the work necessary to make it an option instead so we will now often have new players coming in and bringing up this issue again for the life of the mod.

My solution will be at least a good first attempt in establishing a more workable mechanism for cultures than what we currently have to the point that I will at least be satisfied and I'd like to get feedback from there to see what more would need to be done.

All this is NOT to criticize Hydro who did an amazing job setting up a great deal of the current structure. I think much of what he did there was brilliant... just needs some adjusting on HOW the whole thing functions is all. And yeah, this is in the top 3 of my current projects.

13. zeinul

zeinul Chieftain

easiest culture to get is german. you just need pigs which is easy to get especially when you subdue boars into resources.

14. ClassicFrog

ClassicFrog Chieftain

Since we have very limited choice what cultures we can build perhaps if would be better to have more liberal requirements for cultures (perhaps the same for multiple cultures that come from same regions of the world) and cultures would appear in cities by chance by events? Sure player would have no control over it but as it is now we have little control anyways. Event mechanism would allow greater spread and if requirements and chances of occurrence are set properly it might end up simulating real-like culture evolution and spread.

15. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Chieftain

Or allow a civ to always be able to build it's own culture in all of it's cities?

Cheers

16. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Well we already have you start out with your own home region. If you pick say Germany as you civ you can unlock any European civ as long as you have the right resource nearby.

You can see exactly which ones here. Note there are tons more on my todo list. Just waiting on SO to make more units for the existing cultures before I add some more.

Sadly since it effected core files, we could not make this optional. It was all in or not at all. There are still on the distant horizon stuff about a national wonder that makes your entire civ one culture. See this topic for details.

It was something like this. Note that the bottom flow was simplified to an all in one building.

17. Randomness

Randomness ...

Wasn't a separate tech tree for cultural techs suggested at one point? If that is something that is being looked at, civ cultures should be tied in there somehow. If not... never mind.

18. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

It got rejected and switched to buildings instead.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I would still suggest to chart out the cultures on an evolutionary progress chain... I'd like to get some visibility on that and see how well it matches to real world anthropology.

Hydro... I have been thinking... I COULD set up a game option for this. Here's how it would work: Each civ could have a unique national wonder that only they can build (for say, 1 hammer). These wonders give a free x (culture) to all cities in the empire. We make those buildings conditional on the game option being on and make the base continental culture buildings conditional on the option NOT being in play. We can do that with basic tags right? And that'd be a fairly low grade difficulty modification wouldn't it? This would allow those players who prefer the classic approach to go that way. And with Assimilation, it would mean that you could build another culture's central building in a city you've captured, which would then spread that culture throughout your empire overlapping your native culture. In some ways that'd be cooler than the original assimilation...

But I still like the idea of qualifying for developing a given culture based on more complex environmental details, even if not all players appreciate that.

20. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@Thunderbird

That was actually one idea we had. Also RoH had a similar idea.

The problem becomes how do cultures spread on an planet unlike Earth? Culture is highly related to where they were on Earth and where they could spread to.