1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Explanation of hero defense odds?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by psychoak, Oct 14, 2007.

1. psychoak

psychoak Warlord

It's not registering. C5 bambur defending on a hill tile wont protect damaged siege from free kills. Acheron lets 3 strength warriors take the hits when the odds are still reading <.01%. The defense oriented heroes are absolutely worthless like this, you can't protect anything from them. The enemy just gets to happily chew through your army.

Is it intentional that they don't defend against even near 100% odds? I like that rosier no longer gets owned every time someone follows him back home and gets lucky, but it's self defeating to use maros and have even the adepts die before he takes an easy hit.

2. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

I noticed the same thing with Chalid.
    There is a function that causes other units to defend higher promoted ones, but maybe it got pushed too far.

3. Kael

Kael Deity

A unit starts with a 100% defender percent. That means that 100% of his defensive strength will be used when they go to find the best defender in the plot.

The Guardsman promotion adds 100% to that amount. So a guardsman unit with 5 strength will be considered as if he had 10 strength when the game lines up the best defender.

The Hero promotion modifies the amount by -50%. So a hero with 12 strength will be considered as 6 strength when finding the best defender. Casters also have reduced defender odds (which would effect Chalid).

Acheron doesn't have any promotions that modify his defender odds so he uses his normal base strength.

edit: actully I just went to check the code and I noticed the base code halves the defense modifer for world class units. I should have known that since I asked Alex to add that for AoI. So we are applying the half twice, I'll take the -50% off of the hero promotion.

4. eerr

eerr Emperor

siege should get a small modifier for not defending over other units (-25%?)
    (80% of normal)
    seeing as how it's so expensive