1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Explore

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sweetchuck, May 18, 2007.

1. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

Anyone use the explore option - with land and/or sea units?

I don't usually use them on land, but I will use them at sea - to chart the map mostly.

Funny thing happened on my recent game. I'm at war with the Zulu. They got to my continent via sea travel first and before I was able to build any sort of a navy. They dropped a settler on a teeny peice of land between to coastal cities (which would have overlapped one of my cities) - so I plugged them before they could settle and took the two workers from the settler. At war, no big deal.

A turn or two later, I send a few vessles out to start charting and when one of the vessles finds an enemy ship in the black, it stops right next to it, unprovoked and is activated for a manual intervention. It's like it knew that I wanted to blast that enemy ship and didn't continue on with the explore pattern.

Man, that was cool - I popped that ship and put it back on explore. I didn't realize that the explore function automatically breaks in mid-course if it stumbles upon an enemy ship.

2. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Yeah, it activates itself when it encounters a different ship. I don't use the explore button. It seems a bit like automate, inefficient. What I mean by that is, instead of units clearing the unexplored areas they might go left and right and in circles.

3. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I only use it after I've mapped the coastline, and just have ocean or sea tiles left. Occasionally I come across a little island, but not often.

4. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

Same for me, but I usually wait to have a caravel or better before I do.

5. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I usually put my first couple exploring units on explore and I've noticed the land ones will head straight towards goody huts. I usually let them pop them, just to keep them from the expansionist civs. Maybe it's just my imagination, but they seem to "know" where they are, as does the AI.

6. drakdan

drakdan Prince

I too use autoexplore when I just want to uncover the map and am not worried about finding more civs or resources.

7. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Emperor

The exploring ship will have cancelled its orders because it came next to an enemy unit - your toiling workers and troops on gotos will do the same if the Zulu lands next to them. It is an option in the Preferences.
    But no, I never used explore. I demand total control over every last move my units make. Because I've seen automated workers in action. ;)

8. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

I use explore with one or two units at the start as the seek out goody huts :0 normaly get a good 4-6 techs before ifinish exploring

9. Findus

Findus Warlord

Well exploring and automation often end up wasting few turns in whatever you aim for and by using exploring/automation you wont learn and therefore newer gain full effiency with the unit. But automatic moves are there for a reason. Some maps are just to big to be handled manually on all levels. But if you want to reach sid or whatever you will prolly need to manually move everything.

10. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

It doesn't hurt to manually move everything. I'd say, you loose efficiency if you automatically move everything.

11. Findus

Findus Warlord

huh didnt i just say that :confused:

12. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Yes, you did. But I was adding to my other post. I'll be more clear next time. :)

13. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

He's responding to the thread in general. And I'm too slow to post and couldn't get this in before he did.

I've never used it, but from what I hear, it's more efficient to let the AI do this if you're more concerned with hut-popping (on a small continent only though) than meeting other civs.

14. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Definitely not recommended at Emperor and above. ;)

15. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

I have never used it, but that sure seems likely. Probably the smart thing to do would be to send all but a couple of your scouts on just such missions, while the ones that are not, are manually plotted by you. If they're dead set on huts, they sure won't be exposing especially the nearby fogged territory, whcih are the areas I primarily want to know about so my settlers can go to the sweet city spots first.

16. Findus

Findus Warlord

the problem with autoexploring is that they go for the closest shadowed tiles at all times. Wich means that you can have only few shadowed at one point at lots and lots on the other side and they can go for the few just becouse they are closer. The good thing with auto is that they understand how impassible terrain works (seems to on my tries anyway) and they prefer to walk on moutains/hills at most times.

17. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

On Emperor or above, no way, goody huts are booby traps, unless you are Expansionist. Even then, they aren't much use. The AI even seems to avoid them. Not that I play at those levels much, because it stops being fun for me.

18. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

^ You can get techs and lot's of good stuff from goody huts. People might send too many troops to pop goody huts but if you just send one or two warriors and pop a few goody huts, that might mean a settler or technology or gold.

Of course, there is the odd, attack. But if you fortify your warrior then it should survive. I'd say, if you don't get too carried away trying to look for them with all your troops, they're very handy, especially early on.

The goody hut's in the middle ages don't give you technologies, so their no as useful.

19. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

Maybe if people went out with spearmen instead of warriors, they would very rarely lose a unit to puny warrior attacks. It's sure worked for me.

20. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

Yeah, but the reason why you shouldn't send troops to goody huts is because you probably need the troops for MP and war. I totally disagree with this though, there's way more positive stuff that could happen than negative when popping a goody hut.