1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Explore

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sweetchuck, May 18, 2007.

1. Findus

Findus Warlord

No i think you are wrong, if you arent expansionist theres 65% risk that barbarians will attack you on emperor and it gets worse after. Just look at the testing Oystein has done here.

If you are expansionist theres no doubt that its good though :p.

2. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

Yes, but as I said about spearmen, they're excellent goody hut poppers, because they just don't lose to barb warrior attacks. Most of the time I won't even hesitate with attacking with the spearman either, as the warrior barbs are just too wimpy. Oh, I might add I am attacking with vet spearmen or better, but I'm doing poorly if I lose an average of one spearman per "two" games to barb warriors. I only mention warriors and not horsemen, because you don't get horseys from huts. One good thing about exploring also with any unit, is the chance of destroying barb camps, as that 25gp starts adding up.

3. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

I still disagree with not sending troops to goody hut's. :p

4. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

On the regent level, not to mention again all the advantages more generally known, but you often pop 3-4 techs that way. Usually you get a minimum of 1-2. Goody huts are pretty much win/win. Even having wimpy warriors so easily destroyed compared to using better units, in popping, is still worth it, but it would be a pretty big letdown to having them dying so easily in comparison to spearmen. I guess that's the problem with his strategy, isn't it? You use wimpy warriors for scouting and you realize that you might actually lose to wimpy warrior barbs, so you have to stay away from them because the recon effort would stop for quite a while after a lost warrior.

Heck, most of the time I do pretty well with the warriors I pop, even thogh they start off with 50% less experience than my cities give, and 100% less than the ones made from barracks. The difference is it took one of my spearmen or archers to pop that hut, meaning that my warrior is then more expendable since there is already a healthy other unit in hte immediate area even if it's lost. I NEVER build warriors on my own, but some people are in love with them for some reason. I guess if you just want to make things harder on yourself they are good for something.

5. Rodrig0

Rodrig0 Monarch

Does anyone else love when you send your warrior on explore, they pop a goody hut right next to your terrirory, and some mad barbarians appear... NEXT to your first worker? That has happened to me more times than I'd like, and sometimes it just annoys me so much, I'll restart :mad:

6. Findus

Findus Warlord

Hehe well you got a choice to end the game whenever you want and its not like anyone can blame you :p

7. Aceman101

Aceman101 Emperor

You should try playing on. It's a challenge. ;)

8. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

I though sending a worker, explorer or settler to pop a goodie hut gave you a better chance of cooler goodies!.

Or at least less chance of barbs and more chance of big money and faboulous prizes :splat:

9. Charles 22

Charles 22 King

It is fairly annoying, but since there are ways to get around it other than restarting, it's not so bad. For example, you can delay popping it until either your worker is far enough away, or you send one to pop and one to be with the worker at that time. Unless you're playing on an extremely crowded map, though coordinating this isn't exactly instantaneous, it shouldn't be that much trouble. I save my restarts for really bad capital placement or for no iron within eons.

10. MAS

MAS Deity

Expansionist trait sets the chance of barbs to 0% But it doesn't matter if the expansionist civ uses his scout or a warrior to pop the hut.

If you do not have any military units (units with a def or att value greater than zero ) then you can also not get any barbs from huts.
    At higher levels, it may be worth popping a nearby hut with your worker or 2th settler before completing your first warrior. But once you have a warrior anywhere, your worker or settler will pop barbs just the same.

11. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Thanks man. You saved my workers a ton of grief

12. Findus

Findus Warlord

Barbarians:
    -- Player must not have Expansionist trait.
    -- There must not be a city within a 1-tile radius.
    -- The player must have at least 1 city.
    -- The player must have at least 1 military unit.
    -- The unit popping the hut must not have the "All Terrain As Roads" ability.

As i can see it, barbarians wont spawn if you pop the hut next to a city radius. That could save some trouble also.