1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expressing Your Opinion and Getting Digitally Lynched

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Patine, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

Too much like Facebook

2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

The dog pile conversation is hard to articulate and easy to ridicule but it’s been a problem creeping up in 2018, got thick in 2019 hitting hard in the summer I agree, and then has waned but is still thick.

It’s not even so much dogpiling as it is people reinforcing conversations of “your real meaning is THIS!” and a “you are a That!” that are so wrong it looks like deliberate flaming and trolling and occasionally gaslighting.

It comes from erroneous compressions and the false verisimilitude of the gallery members that are engaging with more passion to their media than attention to the posts as written. The problem is that it is safely supported by being the mode opinion politically, loosely shared by even the targets, and by being the center the counter arguments are not sufficiently agreeable with those who disagree to produce a cascade of counter likes.

It’s clearly not coordinated and I think I’ve had personal conversations with all of those who do it the most and individually it’s not in bad faith. But it is in poor form and it is herding behavior, and in collection it is poison to the forum and rewards some toxic behavior that is receiving call out less often than it is dished out, and dealt by those who are largely more comfortable dishing than receiving.

I’ve long been an advocate of lighter moderation and the past decade we saw that and it’s been mostly very good. But this problem snuck up on us, and what was a good introduction of inclusive values became a platform for forum bullying by people who are “supposed to be” against that sort of thing.

It’s really up to all of you what this forum is going to be. But if you want to be the comments section of the media that validates what you already believe this will turn to utter gutter trash, so do your best to keep this place fun.

3. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I think a lot of that comes from people trying to preempt the person they are having a disagreement with and trying to find hidden meanings in their posts instead of just reading the actual words someone wrote and taking them at face value.

Manfred Belheim, dusters and rah like this.
  4. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

My enjoyment of CFC has never been higher since this supposed rot has tainted our pure community.

5. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Who exactly are you talking about my friend?

6. dusters

dusters Emperor

The face value thing is a rare thing these days.

How do you define trust? Yes, I believe in some stuff, like stuff that David Icke says. I have meditated for 10+ years now. If I get some experiences who are in clear opposition to what google says, to what wikipedia says, to what scientific community says, then there people in CFT OT who dismiss me on the spot instead of trying to have a civil conversation.

Do I get a sertificate for being a person who has meditated 10+ years? I got Reiki sertificate, I got medical sertifcate saying I'm qualified to speak about sexual transmittted diseases.

If you have open mind, and I'm sure you and others on OT have it, it is worth for me to post stuff that to some posters look totally crazy.

7. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

I think there are simply some topics not worthy of tolerating dissent on

8. Hygro

Yes at a considerable expense to the majority on the outside of the clique.
    And when someone declares something to be of that nature when it isn’t but the pitchforks come out and everyone is gleeing for a beatdown we’ve got ourselves a 2019 CFC thread.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Is David Icke the one who says Queen Elizabeth is secretly a lizard, or is he the one who says she secretly controls the international drug trade?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. dusters

dusters Emperor

Yes to 1st question. Lizard being a reptilian race from Orion. Or, in other words. A human with DNA from this race.

11. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

What are you trying to say?

12. Hygro

Shh we’re a secret!

That assigning someone a false position is bad for the forum and very fun for a big few.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
    Berzerker, Birdjaguar and hobbsyoyo like this.
  13. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

You have to understand that you make claims that go against all accepted literature and science, which require evidence. You can't say "Japan has banned microwaves" and expect it to go unchallenged. Something like this should be easily proven if it's true. Where is the proof? Can you link us to something from the Japanese government that confirms this? Why isn't it news that nobody in Japan can legally own a microwave oven?

What is it about reiki that works beyond placebo? Why can't studies find empirical changes? (Note here that I'm not beholden to empirical metrics, there are aspects of my health that remain elusive based on current capabilities.) What makes reiki a legitimate practice and not simply a nice-to-have that can be relaxing (and which is indirectly beneficial, but it isn't specifically reiki doing the healing).

The same is true with the claim that you can cure cerebral palsy. It's an awful condition without a cure. People die from it, require carers, have heavily diminished qualities of life, and so on. If you can truly cure it, why haven't you done your absolute best in getting the word out? Where are the trials? The case studies? Anything? Why can you only cure it by making posts on forums?

You can say whatever you want. You can even say comparatively outlandish things. If you can prove those things, great. If you can't, well, the outlandish remains the outlandish.

I was the one dismissive of you but I'd love to be set in my place. Please prove to me that you can cure cerebral palsy. I'll gladly be humiliated publicly.

Hell, I see what you just said to Ajidica. I'll give you $200/mo for the rest of 2020 if you can prove the Queen is a damn alien. The internet says $550/mo is the lower end of the cost of living for Latvia, so I'll be paying almost half your expenses with this offer. For a year. You have a direct financial motivator here on top of the cachet and prestige you'll earn when you get publicly recognized as the curer of cerebral palsy and you sell the patent to a pharmaceutical company.

Who's that?

shadowplay, Ajidica and Cloud_Strife like this.
  14. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Can you provide any examples?

15. dusters

dusters Emperor

Consumerism, for example, is a widespread phenomen. Like alcoholism.

When you abolish greed and want, a lot of things happen. Is talking about it really so out-of-this time?

16. red_elk

red_elk Deity

How many people were cured from cerebral palsy using your method?

17. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

TeachTheControversy.jpg

I can't think of a time when someone was assigned a 'false position' that wasn't due to something they said or disingenuous posting
    Poster 1: Says something racist, plays coy with supporting something that may not necessarily be racist but is #1 among racist.
    Poster 2: You [Poster 1] are probably a racist.
    Poster 1: How dare you call me a racist simply because I support something racist.

Synsensa, Cloud_Strife and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I think it definitely happens but it isn't as common as @Hygro made it out to be. I do agree that it was a more common vector of forum misery in 2019 than it had been in previous years. There were spats that read as if the participants (including myself) had just discovered the word disingenuous. :lol:

But I also think you are right, that a lot of times people were just calling spades to be spades and the recipients usually didn't like that and objected, leading to accusations and counter-accusations of being disingenuous.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  19. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

This is disengenuous

hobbsyoyo and Synsensa like this.
  20. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

I'm not sure this is even the whole problem... I see this as you saying the fundamental issue is people being unfair, as people deliberately misconstruing each other's arguments. But I think more to the point the problem is the freaking pitchforks. How quickly they come out, how often they come out, how neurotic and self-righteous the people carrying them usually are.