1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Extend mountain crossing to all Civs?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Balllistic, Oct 24, 2015.

?

Should the ability to cross mountains be extended to other civs?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, unlocked at military science.

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Yes, unlocked later/more of a penalty.

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Yes, unlocked earlier/less of a penalty.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. No

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Balllistic

Balllistic Chieftain

Right now only the Inca can cross mountains. This is a great and unique UA that gives them a strong advantage, and early on it makes a lot of sense. But what about when you get later into the game and have more advanced technology? Even with future tech, still only the Inca can cross mountains.

I feel that the ability to cross mountains should be unlocked for all civilizations at Military Science, and the attrition damage on mountains if you are not the Inca should be raised from 15 to 40. This way, the Inca still get exclusive use of their UA until late in the industrial era, and even after the industrial era they still have a slight advantage over everyone else.

This would allow workers to get around easier later in the game on maps with a lot of mountains, and counter civs that are in nearly impregnable locations/break stalemates. What do you think? Good idea/bad idea? Should be modified and then it could work?

2. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

You may make a temporary mod file to allow a free promotion upon researching a specific technology for a certain type of unit.

Likewise, I believe that Future Tech at best should allow workers to cross mountains.

3. ecgopher

ecgopher Warlord

What if, at some later game tech, workers can cross mountains, and they get 40 attrition, and other units can only cross mountains once a road or railroad has been built on them?

4. Lynnes

Lynnes King

5. Balllistic

Balllistic Chieftain

That sounds like a great idea, we just need to decide on a tech. Maybe unlock it at railroad?

6. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Important question - would AI be able to handle it? I mean wouldn't they be suiciding their workers like this?

7. Balllistic

Balllistic Chieftain

That's true. Perhaps workers could get a different promotion where they don't take damage from being on a mountain and other units do take attrition damage.

8. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Eh, mountains are supposed to be impassable (i.e. places where major civilization construction projects won't happen). This also conflicts with the Incan UA.

G

9. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

We get part of the Denmark's UA @ Navigation, so I don't feel it's too big of a UA breach.

If not in neutral territory at least our own .

10. Funak

Funak Deity

This is the reason I was extremely against the harbor effect of allowing you to embark and disembark for free. But honestly, that ability is still extremely limited.

I completely agree with the big G, cities are built around mountains for protection, and just dropping that protection randomly in mid-late-game makes no sense at all.

11. hokath

hokath King

IRL there were horrific battles in the mountains C. WWI
    But from a gameplay point of view... I don't know. Probably leave it. If changed then it should be Military Science or even later. Mountains are the only real defensive terrain in the late game when Paratroopers and Marines are crossing rivers and lines of forts in a single turn.

12. Scuts

Scuts Chieftain

I believe that impassable mountains is significant for the sake of gameplay, should be untouched in the CP/CBP. Having a separate mod for it like shown above is best.

13. Gazebo

Mountains in Civ are a representative of more than just 'a mountain range.' They're extremely harsh, more like fighting a war at the top of the alps (instead of in the foothills around them or in mountain passes).

G

14. Funak

Funak Deity

That's why artillery(and babylonian bowmen :D) can fire over them, right? :D

15. Gazebo

Totally. As a historian, I can confirm that bowmen shot arrows over mountains. It is how Babylon conquered Italy. ;)

G

16. Funak

Funak Deity

It's nice that we have a relationship where you can just shrug off my trolling :D

17. Gazebo

You think that? I was sure you had a spy in my capital and that you had, at least by now, learned that I'm secretly plotting against you. :)

18. Funak

Funak Deity

I don't need spies in any capitals, I keep them all in city-states. I already know that everyone is plotting against me, the voices in my head told me so.

19. Strec

Strec Prince

I agree that crossing mountains must not be a promotion based on a tech. Whoward solution is better, a promotion you must earn for each unit.