Extended Orbital Time and Fabricators/Weather Controllers

triheptyl

Warlord
So Orbital Fabricators and Weather Controllers generate 1 to 2 resources on unimproved tiles over the course of their deployment. There is also a few ways to extend orbital deployment time (the Slavs UA and that Industry virtue come to mind). You can almost double the length of deployments if you aim for it. Do Orbital Fabricators and Weather Controllers generate even more resources if they are in orbit longer? Because if not, lengthening deployment time would actually be weakening them. I haven't seemed to be able to spawn more than 2 resources even with greatly extended duration. In fact, the only time I even managed to spawn 2 was with just a plain, unbuffed Controller.

Sorry I'm rambling on, basically, do you get more generated resources from Fabricators and Controllers if you increase their deployment time, or does it simply mean you have to wait longer for potential resource spawns?

I don't think you get more. Most of the extra resources appear early in the cycle. I usually delete the ones that have already produced a resource, if I am running low on orbital space or resources to build more.

...Sorry I'm rambling on, basically, do you get more generated resources from Fabricators and Controllers if you increase their deployment time, or does it simply mean you have to wait longer for potential resource spawns?

My guess is you have to wait longer. This could be a potential bug if that is the case.

You don't get more. You do have to wait longer. Same for miasmic repulsors.

It's definitely a bug.

You can delete the Satellites once they produce the resources. The extended orbiting time is still useful if you want to get the bonus food/production.

However they are all so cheap to build it makes one wonder why they have buildings/virtues with production bonuses for orbitals.

You can't get more than two, and you don't have to wait longer for resources to pop. I've gotten resources within the first 5 turns of putting up a weather controller playing as the slavs, same as any other faction, so no there is no waiting longer for the first resource to pop. The longer orbit time just means you're getting more chances to get a second resource although whether or not it's better to just delete and relaunch after the first resource is certainly up for debate.

I've been kind of wondering if they are worth it at all. On marathon at least. I takes too long to research the tech then 50-100 turns to drop a resource. If you don't have a lot of oil in your start, you have to use fabricators to place the oil to get enough of them over your cities. Fully improved farms with all the upgrades produce as much if not more resource and are down the regular tech path.

Personally I've been wondering if there is any point in increasing orbital duration, as others have mentioned the satellites are cheap.

Top Bottom