1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra basenames?

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Terje, May 2, 2005.

1. Terje

Terje The Red Semi-Menace

I always bulid more bases than there are original basenames, and every time I have the same amount ot touble, trying to find another name for a new base than just "Alpha Sector", etc.

So, I ask you: do you know any good names that fit the Factions?

Here's my Gaian collection:

Planet Peach
    Garden of Chiron
    Alpha Centauri Flower
    Forest Glen
    The Arbor
    Oakheart
    Richness of Soil
    New Amazonas
    Soil of Gaia
    Children of Tellus
    Forest Rest
    Tree Tranquility
    Desert Rose
    Flowery Spring
    Birch Stand
    Fungal Bloom
    Fungus and Flower

2. Heniu

Heniu Chieftain

is this really possible to extend the list of colony names? Won't the game crash or something?

3. The Person

The Person Deity +2

Well, if Terje can add names without SMAC crashing, I don't think so. You just edit the file for the faction you want to add/change the names for.

4. Horizon

Horizon Chieftain

Maybe it is just about renaming the bases ingame, not adding more base names entries in the files.

Interesting idea to suggest new names that are acceptable for the game mood.

It can help when one is lacking some creativity but want to keep the atmosphere of the game intact
    Flowery Spring sounds a way better name to keep the Gaian theme than Treehugger City or Hippy Caverns that i used when i was lacking ideas ;) .

5. Terje

Terje The Red Semi-Menace

I think you can pretty much add as many names to the "bases" list of the .txt files of the various factions. At least I've pasted these into the Gaian.txt, and everything's fine with me.

Also, this is simply for simplicity's sake - pften it is good to have this done only onec, so that one doesn't have to waste 10 minutes of good playing time, trying to come up with names that fit the moods of the faction you're playng as...

6. The Mass Leader

The Mass Leader The One and Only

I play with the free drones or the pirates now, so I invented a list of bases too.

THESE NAMES BASED ON COMMUNISM
    New Stalingrad
    New Leningrad
    New Komsomolsk
    Fidel´s Base
    Tito´s Place
    Red Flag Base
    Kronstadt Stronghold

I also named my Police garrisons with the name Securitate, the name of the old romanian political police. So I have:
    Plama Securitate
    Silksteel Securitate
    and so on

AND BASE NAMES TAKEN FROM TV

MONTY PYTHON
    Camelot
    Castle of Blaaaargh
    Base of Ni
    Castle Anthrax
    Brian´s Cross

CARTOONS
    Moe´s Bar
    Thundera
    Kripton
    Greyskull

7. Eli the Lich

Eli the Lich Chieftain

it seem you did not build enaugh, last I played the gaian I built a base every 5 square of map untill the univercity send one planet buster close to my capital. (i continue to build base every 5 square when atacking the univerciti and everybody else but did not finish to cover the map with base )
    after i finish the greek alphabeth i have to rename every new base the proposisiton was always Gaia52 and finaly made the ascend to transendece progect when the only enemy left was one sea colony of the univercity and the game is finished as a diplomatic victory believer and hive surender and the rest wre eliminate