Extra Civilizations Folder ?

Pomphis

Warlord
I have a number of new civilizations (Florence, Gothic, Hospitaller, Jerusalem, Papal State, Pirate, Republica Serenissima, Romania, Savoy, Swiss Confederacy, Teutonic Order) from the Downloads which I added to HitM without problems. I believe I had them one or two computers ago in BtS as a Mod called Extra Civilizations. I recreated that Folder and copied them there. I started BtS, it showed up as a Mod, and could be loaded. But none of the civs was there. I changed the BtS .config file XML Modular Loading to 1, it didn´t help. I dimly recall that there may have been a special .ini file from the civs´ creator for the Extra Civilizations Folder in the past. Can anybody help ?

I don't quite get what you are trying to do. All I see is "I have a number of new civilizations from the Downloads which I added to HitM without problems." If you added them without problems, then I guess they show up ingame, right?

Next you talk about making a new mod. First of all be aware that unlike modern games, Civ4 can only load one mod at a time. If you want to use two mods, you have to merge them yourself. Because of this I see no point in starting a new mod from scratch. Even if you want to make your own, start from some improved base like K-mod.

You add to an existing mod the same way that you added to HitM, including the full folder path inside the mod. File placement isn't random.

HitM has a folder in Assets called MODULES which exists specifically to add such stuff. In HitM the added civs work without problem. BtS only has the folder Mods. IIRC I once had a folder Extra Civilizations in Mods to add all of them as a single mod to BtS. Now I created that folder in Mods, put all the civs into it, started BtS, Extra Civilization was offered as a Mod, I loaded the Mod without problems, but in the new game no new civs were there. The "new mod" was only an attempt to add all new civs to an otherwise standard BtS. I also considered to create a folder MODULES in BtS/Assets. Might that work ? Any risks ?

You add to an existing mod the same way that you added to HitM, including the full folder path inside the mod. File placement isn't random.
I also considered to create a folder MODULES in BtS/Assets. Might that work ?
You shouldn't touch BTS/Assets. That will break vanilla and since all mods builds on top of vanilla, that will be bad.

What you should do if you want the modules in your own mod is to make a new folder in MODS, call it whatever you want to call your mod and then inside it you add Assets/modules, which will allow you to place the files at the very same location as where they are working in HitM. The game looks for files at specific locations. You can't rename the folder paths inside the mod as this will cause the game to ignore the files.

Any risks ?
Depending on the quality of the flux capacitor in your computer, you might experience ending up in the stone age if you try to start a new game.

It's not easy to figure out without more info, but it may be that you simply messed up the folder structure, accidentally creating an empty mod. While iirc XML files can be placed on the root level of a module folder, you can't do that with a mod's base content. There is a defined folder structure, which I suggest you look up in the BtS folder.

But simply creating a new mod that only contains the module should work as well.

I only created a new mod in the sense that I created a folder Extra Civilizations in Mods, and the only content were the new civs I took from the CivFanatics Downloads and which work in HitM though they were created for BtS. They also work as individual "mods". But if I put them as individual folders into BtS/Mods I can only load one at a time, and I wanted to have all of them in a game. Do I need a config or ini file for a mod ? My folder Extra Civilizations only had the folders for the new civs, but no ini or config file.

If they are each modules (i.e. in Assets/Modules) then you can simply copy them into Assets/Modules in your new mod. If it's just content in Assets, you might have to merge things.

Mods come with a "<your mod name>.ini" file that especially sets the Name variable to <your mod name>. See here for an example.

Top Bottom