Extra Engineers

In Civ 3, as I recall an engineer could always rejoin the city, but in Civ 2 they can only join cities that are 8 or less in size. But since the city size is so limited by the 255 maximum which then is divided by the number of civilizations ( which is as little as ~36 with seven civs playing) then in all honesty even on the included large world map in MGE you can't reach 255 even terraforming glaciers and tudra. Basically I 've been transporting them by rail and ship and later by air a team of engineers and doing nutty things like converting every surface to grasslands just to give them something to do within borders after they construct everything else that is necessary, and planting forests for aesthetics. Yes that was a run on sentence.

I believe you can mound up plains to hills as a kind of impediment to the enemy to enhance some of your fortresses.

Then what? It's weird they can't rejoin large city. Sometimes when a newly occupied city is too close to be useful I generate even more engineers out of it to shutter it, then waste money rebuilding a city in the right place and rejoin some of the engineers back into that new city.

It's a strange design flaw.

It seems counterproductive but you could occupy say the flank of a civilization whike attacking from the front, then send engineers with protection to disrupt the enemy's infrastructure. It's easier to just attack. I guess they could build an airbase in the rear to possibly facilitate occupation. Or fortresses.

You could do bizarre things like use them on an island to occupy every space when low on military personnel and thus protect that island until the enemy has marines to overcome them.

Here is something I just tried and it worked. Since the AI is programmed to pick off engineers which you send to complete a road across their border to facilitate trade (which the AI will also do in your territory), but then likes to attack settler or engineers, then you have a Casus Belli since they started a war. Which helps if you are playing using a Democratic form of government (no thanks as mob rule is kooky), then this creating of a diplomatic incident facilitates war without initiating it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom