1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra shields

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Mize, May 6, 2016.

1. Mize

Mize Chieftain

I don't believe I've seen a thread around here about this, or anywhere for that matter, so... Has any of you also noticed that under a republic or democracy celebrating cities will generate an extra shield every turn?

I first noticed this years ago when my large trade cities would still manage to pop a caravan every 50 turns, even though they had low production and generated no extra shields after unit support.

This has the funny side effect of screwing up your city menu predictions. Let's say your city generates 9 shields and you're building a caravan. The menu will say it'll take 6 turns, but if the city is celebrating throughout, it will actually take 5 because every turn a shield will be added.

2. Verrucosus

Verrucosus Chieftain

Thank you for spreading this. I never noticed.

3. Mize

Mize Chieftain

I'm necroing my 2-year-old thread to correct myself (and possibly generate an actual discussion). The extra shield phenomenon is apparently not due to cities celebrating, but rather due to trade overflow. With trade multipliers like markets, libraries, etc., AND with Civ's way of rounding fractions down, cities will effectively 'lose' halves of coins/bulbs/diamonds. I suspect that when the 'lost' trade derivatives reaches a certain per turn threshold, Civ turns that into a shield. What that threshold is, and whether it uses only coins or all trade derivatives, IDK. But the threshold should be either 1 or 2.

4. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

That's even more screwed-up than your original hypothesis. Nice find!

5. Mize

Mize Chieftain

The thing is I'm not certain yet, but I'm pretty sure a simple test for it can be devised. You need to avoid foreign trade routes in the city you're using for the test so that fluctuations in the AI cities' trade don't affect your own arrow count. Then you need to establish trade routes with one or more of your own cities, which you can micromanage in order to raise or lower Testtown's trade output as much as you need to. Keep the production constant, do the math and see when the phenomenon pops up. Maybe I'll have time to test it this weekend and come back with proof or denial.