1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra votes from Religious Authority

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Revolutionist_8, Aug 11, 2019.

?

What do you think about the extra votes in World Congress from Religious Authority?

1. It's way too strong, it needs a nerf.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. It's a bit too strong and it could use a slight nerf.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. It's fine as it is.

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  4. It's a bit too weak, it could get a small buff.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. It's very weak, it needs a huge buff.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Chieftain

My dear friends!

I'd be curious about your opinion! It is known fact that Religion in VP is really strong (and I think that's perfectly fine), being the head of a Religion - especially if it's well spread - is even stronger (perfectly fine), and on top of that, a ton of extra votes in the World Congress.

And this latter is what I'm having some concerns with.

In my current game, Inca has 11 votes, 8 from that from Religious Authority. Spain has 5, 4 from which Religious Authority. Those without a founded and a well spread Religion, 1-2 (as in Renaissance era you don't get the extra votes from CS Allies yet, but even later this is a huge advantage). I think this creates an unproportionally enormous advantage to an already strong player / AI.

Also, I think Diplomacy should has its own dimension, and not influenced this heavily by another gameplay element (should be influenced, but maybe less).

But this is purely my subjective opinion, and I'd be interested in your opinion! :)

2. Bromar1

Bromar1 Chieftain

I'm okay with religious authority but I think maybe it should be more tied to certain beliefs instead of being always available for any religion.

For example, you could halve the current baseline values and then give Faith of the Masses double votes from religious authority, essentially making it the same current amount. Could also add +2 votes to Holy Land.

cerk, Kim Dong Un and Revolutionist_8 like this.
  3. bigcat88

bigcat88 Chieftain

World congress reformation.

Revolutionist_8 likes this.
  4. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

I could've sworn that votes from the Reformation Wonder were capped at 4. Wouldn't you need to spread to 80 cities to get 8 Votes? Is it a map size thing?

Did Inca pass World Religion? It's the combo of World Religion + Religious Authority votes that really powers diplomacy in my games. Especially when you conquer another civ and extinguish their Religion. I've never seen anybody even close to 8 votes just from spreading.

5. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Chieftain

Maybe more informations about your example?
    8 votes by religious authority for the Inca and 4 votes for spain makes already 14 existing civs. With that amount of civs, it looks like your playing on a huge map and/or use 43 civs mod.
    Are you playing with 43 civs? If yes, this isnt a good base for a balance discussion, cause the mod isnt balanced around such extreme game settings like 43 civs or OCC.

6. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Chieftain

No world religion passed, but I'm playing on Huge Tectonics with 22 Civs. So yes, I agree with you guys that it's a bit extraordinary, I should have mentioned. But even with fewer civs, the extra bonus from Religion is still there and that's what this thread is about.

But people seem to be okay with it and I was just curious about that, I personally think it's a bit too much (hence why I really like @Bromar1 's suggestion), but I have nothing strong against it ultimately, just doing some brainstorming / inquiry! :) Thank you all for your replies!

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Can someone remind me how religious authority votes are calculated?

8. Rafs

Rafs Chieftain

I think it's based on the amount of cities or population that have with your religion (not sure on which of those 2 honestly, I'd say cities).

Imho it's balanced as it requires a good amount of effort (there's some rng involved depending on what kind of neighbors you get, and if they manage to found a religion). For very big map scripts (highlands,ynaemp) you can end up getting lots of votes (think 6-10), but it's not that easy to spread to huge amount of cities unless your closer neighbors don't have a religion and you can spread fast. Also the AI seems to constantly pump out missionaires (and have less trouble than me) to get open borders to move their missionaries around, so if you want to keep your votes you'll have to make sure civs that have your religion keep it as their main one (some won't even bother defending it though, which I found annoying).

Bromar1 and Revolutionist_8 like this.
  9. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

In a standard game with the standard number of civs with the standard number of religions, I have never seen more than 3 votes, and that was extraordinary, where an entire continent was left to Byzantium, and Byz was the only 1 to found on that continent, while 4 religions duked it out on the other side of the world.

10. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Chieftain

1 vote per 10 cities following your religion IIRC

11. Bhawb

Bhawb Chieftain

I currently have 3 votes from Religious Authority quite early in a game (not quite Industrial), and it took almost exactly this scenario with a different civ. I was left on my entire own continent, built 12? cities of my own plus spread to 4 nearby CSs and took some extra cities on another continent and I still haven't gotten a 4th vote. It is a nice way for civs that aren't able to easily get CS votes to still have some relevance.

12. Legen

Legen Chieftain

From what I remember, it's only 1 vote per 10 cities following the religion. There are mods that add population to it as well, but the base VP only uses city number at a 1:10 ratio.

13. azum4roll

azum4roll Chieftain

The most extreme case I've encountered was Ethiopia converting his whole continent and getting 5 extra votes (and passed world religion later ugh).