ExtraModMod

Discussion in 'More Naval AI Modmod' started by Terkhen, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Is it possible for Courtesans to provide +3 happiness to cities they are garrisoned in?

(and would this effect also work for rival/ally cities? or just for owned cities?)

2. lfgr

lfgr King

Well, good timing :)
    Thanks for your effort!
    (And I'm glad you like BarbsPlus)

I'd like to additionally point out that there is now an option to hide all unavailable (grayed out) choices for events in the BUG Options / EventsEnhanced tab (Ctrl-Alt-O). The idea is by Ronkhar in his Ashes of Erebus mod. I like that very much and I think others may also do.

On asserts and fullscreen: I usually get along fine also with fullscreen enabled, despite having had problems with windows 7 and aero design deactivated. You only have to know that with fullscreen the game doesn't automatically switches to the assert window but only freezes partially (When the music stops, it's often an assert popup in the background), so you have to switch windows manually.

3. Terkhen

Terkhen King

Thanks :) I did not see any definite proposal for the Monk temporal fix so I did not include anything in beta1.

With regard to the whole discussion about axeman tier and champion tier units, the discussion derailed so much that I failed to draw any conclusion from it :p

Please bear in mind that in general I would prefer to keep balance changes at a minimum. I find the idea of revamping the balance completely interesting (changing base strengths, changing how metal promotions work and so on) but for that we would need a long, detailed proposal that tackles every point of the game. Once that it is discussed, improved and approved, it could be implemented as a testing version first (so we could release versions of ExtraModMod with and without it). If there is enough interest on this, a new thread could be opened to start brainstorming ideas for the proposal, keeping the discussion here only for minor fixes to the existing balance.

I'm deeply sorry about not noticing this post earlier! I did not see it in the sea of balance suggestions :(

Thank you for your work. I have committed your improved text strings, which will be present in the next beta and/or release (whichever comes first). I have been delaying it, but one of my pending tasks is to review the spanish translation in ExtraModMod, making a merge of it with More Naval AI XML files (without any ExtraModMod specific changes) and prepare them for inclusion in MNAI. Would you mind if I send your improved strings along with mine to Tholal when I do that? (giving proper credit, of course)

It could be a unique spell that creates a building in the city that will be removed if the caster leaves. If desired, I think that there would be no problems on creating it on other cities too. What purpose would this serve, though?

The new beta was released today. For the next weeks I plan to enjoy the holidays and play a few more games with my testing team, so I will do little work on coding.

Depending on the amount of bugs reported in that interval, I'll decide if a new beta is required or if it would be better to release 0.4.0 directly. If the Kuriotate OOS error is still a mystery by then I'll probably settle for a new beta. Having said that, it is still possible to make changes before 0.4.0 is released (as long as they do not modify mechanics they should be bug free) so IMO now is a good time to check that feedback, specially as I will have the time to check it in detail :)

4. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

thanks for your updates! I'd have Kurios start with nationhood instead of religion, it's much more fitting to their lore. also God King could give +1 happy with state religion to go with the other civic changes, makes it a bit more attractive :)

5. Blakmane

Blakmane Prince

Woo, new version! And the bugfixing begins..

Trying to load the civlopedia from the main menu locks up the game and gives the following error:

Assert Failed

File: e:\development\civilization\extramodmod\cvgamecoredll\CvPlayerAI.h
    Line: 25
    Expression: ePlayer != NO_PLAYER

6. Terkhen

Terkhen King

You are welcome :) I'm reluctant to make changes to the Kuriotates until they are fixed (right now it seems like a wasted effort :( ). I think that you are right about the Kuriotate starting civics so I created an issue for it.

My first thoughtabout that God King change is that it would make the usual default starting civic even more powerful, but then again, by the point that you actually have a state religion you are usually going to switch from God King anyways so it is more of a buff for the late game.

I forgot to mention in the release post that it is quite possible that the game is triggering bogus assertions that were coded in an earlier point of FFH history (or even in vanilla BtS) and are no longer valid in More Naval AI or ExtraModMod. These assertions have to be identified, analyzed and modified or removed so that we only get useful (and hopefully rare) assertions when playing betas.

That's not the case of the assertion you reported. It is a valid assertion that indicated a potential memory leak error which happens whenever you open the Civilopedia from outside a game. It has been fixed for the next version and reported in the More Naval AI tracker.

Thank you for the report!

7. ivanbin

ivanbin Chieftain

Any way to allow building farms in places w/o rivers?
    So many times I had an area perfect for a city, but unable to build farms there, due to hills blocking all river access.

Perhaps allow something to grag water over hills? Or Allow workers to build canals? Or do what MoM did and allow for a building in a city that generates fresh water.

8. Blakmane

Blakmane Prince

Loading the perfectworld mapscript causes the following error:

Assert Failed

File: CvGlobals.cpp
    Line: 3799
    Expression: strcmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
    Message: info type NO_IMPROVEMENT not found, Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4EspionageMissionInfo.xml

----------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the errors lock up our game regardless of whether they are 'real' or not (with ending the process the only escape), so even bogus assertions are currently game-breaking for us.

I also got an assert on an event last game (the 'you have made a breakthrough on your current research' event) but the error is saved on a different computer. I'll add that to this post once I get access to it again.

*edit*

here it is:

Assert Failed

File: CvDLLButtonPopup.cpp
    Line: 2719
    Expression: false

9. lfgr

lfgr King

Can't you press "Ignore once" or "Ignore always"?

That's a bug in events enhanced. Could you provide a BBAI.log?

10. Blakmane

Blakmane Prince

The buttons on the panel are unpressable. I can copy the text and can tab through to the buttons, but pressing enter or clicking on them does nothing. After about 10-20 seconds the computer locks up and I have to end the process.

Unfortunately I can't provide the BBAI.log as I don't have access to that computer anymore. The error manifested as a complete lack of 'clickable' options, if that makes sense: all were greyed out. The breakthrough events are pretty common so hopefully it'll happen again and I'll get a better record of it.

11. lfgr

lfgr King

Does this happen on all asserts? If yes, did you try playing with fullscreen off?
    Sorry, I just saw that you already said the name of the event. I'll look into it next week when I have time.
    Next time you get that error on that specific event, please provide information about the tech you were currently researching as well as the progress you already had. Also, were you playing in a team?

I wanted those buggy events was to be displayed with all options greyed out and a big "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog, so that you notice and report the error, but you can continue to play (if you're able to close the assertion dialogs, of course). Did it look that way in your case?

And thanks for reporting :)

EDIT:
    I took a quick look at the code (I can't test it ATM) and it seems like the bug may occur if less than 4 turns are left researching the current tech. Do you remember if that was the case?

12. Terkhen

Terkhen King

Besides the usual ways of spreading irrigation, there is currently no way to build farms in places without rivers in ExtraModMod. I think that creating a building that generates fresh water would devaluate greatly the value of rivers, unless it has high technology requirements. IMO implementing canals just for this issue seems too disrupting.

As I mentioned in my post (or in the testing guide, I'm unsure at the moment), certain MapScripts will produce bogus asserts. I have certain ideas to disable assertions on MapScripts which I will try as soon as possible. If I manage to make one of them work, I'll release another beta to remove this "noise" from our testing versions.

Having said that, in my experience the assertions themselves are not game breaking. I also think that you are probably playing with fullscreen on. I don't know if it happens on Windows XP and Vista, but on Windows 7 and Windows 8 assertions *WILL* lock up your game unless you are running it on windowed mode. IIRC there is a note about the need of disabling full screen on testing versions in the testing guide.

Thank you for the report! :)

13. Terkhen

Terkhen King

I got the same assertion than Blakmane a few days ago, in the same event. I'm attaching a screenshot, in which the technology being researched is shown (I don't know the progress it had). It was a versus game so I was alone in my team.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      307.9 KB
      Views:
  14. lfgr

lfgr King

Ah, OK, thanks. It seems my first thought was right. I already have an idea how to fix it.

15. Blakmane

Blakmane Prince

Yep, I was researching (I think) animal husbandry with ~3 turns remaining.

And yes, full screen is the issue, cheers. It's been a while.

Terkhen: RE Tower victory, I think other modmods change it to a project so that the final stage can't be rushed via GE hoarding, not to fix the team wonder bug. I don't know if it fixes it incidentally, sorry - I was going to test but turns out changing ToM to a project isn't a 2 minute task.

16. Terkhen

Terkhen King

0.4.0-beta2 is now out!

The main reason for releasing yet another beta in such short time (don't get used to weekly releases! :p) is that MapScripts were triggering plenty of erroneous asserts that made testing more difficult. With 0.4.0-beta2, this problem is gone as long as you use the MapScripts included in it.

This version is a beta, which as I mentioned in the latest release post means that it is a version intended for those who want to help in testing the new features, trying to find new errors and providing bug reports and/or feedback. The Testing Guide that should be helpful for those interested in testing this release. Asserts are not as annoyingly common as they were in 0.4.0-beta1, but you will eventally run into some assert errors we are trying to debug. To prevent assert errors from blocking your game, you must disable full screen mode (you can find the instructions to do this in the testing guide).

This version has little changes with regard to 0.4.0-beta1. 0.4.0-beta2 version of More Naval AI has been updated to the recently released 2.52 version and it also includes Calavente's improvements to the French translation. 0.4.0-beta2 also includes updated versions of the following MapScripts as part of the inclusion of MapScriptTools:

As part of the MapScriptTools support, most of these MapScripts have additional features such as the possibility of using an improved resource balancer, different options for team starts, and the random appearance of special terrain features in the maps. Certain maps will have additional options they previously didn't have. For example, in Erebus it is now possible to use the MapScript's starting position method or to disable it and it includes additional world wrapping options.

This version of MapScriptTools differs from the original one created by Temudjin. It is still in development (it has not been tested yet in the other mods which it should also support) and is using this development page: https://bitbucket.org/Terkhen/mapscripttools-for-civilization-iv

Bear in mind that the other MapScripts included (ErebusContinent, MountainCoast and WorldOfErebus) do not have MapScriptTools support and therefore do not include this feature. They should also be assert free now, though.

The changelog of 0.4.0-beta2 can be found below. If you want to see all changes since 0.3.1 you will also have to check the changelog of the previous beta.

Spoiler :
    ExtraModMod 0.4.0-beta2

More Naval AI version: 2.52

Features
    • When using the Erebus MapScript, it is now possible to decide between using the Erebus starting point placer and the default one.
    • Inclusion of MapScriptTools and the MapScripts supported by it.
    • getInfoTypeForStringNoAsserts method exposed to python. It is intended for allowing MapScripts to test for compatibility without triggering asserts.
    • Improved strings for the French translation.

Fixes

• MapScripts will no longer trigger bogus assertions.
    • Removed an error triggered when opening the Civilopedia from the main menu.

More Naval AI changes

• Devaluing the Entertain spell for the AI.
    • Entertain spell message will no longer display as a loss of negative gold to the target player.
    • Tweaks to how Loki chooses target cities.
    • Increased AI value for techs that allow promotions that grant increased movement.
    • Reduced the value the AI was giving to Civics when choosing techs.
    • Another fix for the AI valuing units that can't be built when choosing techs.
    • AI heroes should no longer be used as inquisitors.
    • Minor change to how the AI chooses to take Slaying promotions.
    • Removed the city limit check for the AI when casting Stasis.
    • AIs with only a few cities but strong production should be better about creating Wonders and Heroes.
    • AI should produce fewer naval units if they have few coastal cities.
    • Fixed an issue that was causing the AI to ignore the UNTIAI settings in UNITINFOS when creating units.
    • AI will devalue cities that will be razed automatically when choosing a target city.
    • Angels now default to UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY.
    • AI less likely to run a dagger strategy when pursuing an Altar or Tower victory.
    • Tweaks to how the AI groups units intended for conquest and how conquest stacks pick target cities.
    • Tweaks to how the AI stages Naval Assaults.
    • Updates to logging and comments.

In the first post of this thread you can find the links for download, wiki, feedback, future plans and other useful information.

Happy 2014!

17. Terkhen

Terkhen King

Don't worry about testing it. Switching them to projects is a quite tedious change and I also don't plan to do it as it would need to move those buildings to the projects XML file and that would complicate merges with More Naval AI. Because of this I have my own plans to prevent rushing: https://bitbucket.org/Terkhen/extramodmod/issue/82/disallow-rushing-for-victory-buildings

I'll explore the possibility of writing customized python requirements for the towers to allow them to work correctly when playing on teams. I'm not sure if this will work, though. Even if it does, I reckon it will require changes to the victory condition code too (both the UI and the victory trigger itself). Since this is somewhat complicated, I don't think the fix will be included in the 0.4.0 release.

18. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

2.52 included already? nice :D

do your mapscript tools already support the factory maps like pangea, continents etc. ?

19. Terkhen

Terkhen King

I'd not call it my tools... I just tweaked Temudjin's work a bit.

It only supports the MapScripts I mentioned. Adding support for ErebusContinents, MountainCoast and WorldOfErebus would be nice but quite complicated as they are not precisely simple MapScripts. With regard to factory maps, I only plan to eventually add support for Archipelago and Pangaea, as they are the ones I usually use.

If anyone is interested on helping on adding support for any of these MapScripts or for any other of the factory ones, it would be quite welcome. Temudjin wrote a short guide on how to add MapScriptTools support to any MapScript, which can be checked here: https://bitbucket.org/Terkhen/mapsc.../python/MapScriptTools.py?at=default#cl-10261

Once that the implementation gets more mature, I plan to test my changes in other supported mods (Mars Now, Planetfall and so on) and create a new thread at the MapScripts subforum about it.

20. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie