Happy to see the story going on although the new version's out... I have to admit, I don't know much of the American UA, because I haven't played them yet. Now I hope your minutemen can resist, but Catherines comeback looks quite impressive... :popcorn:

Two Nice things about minutemen:
a)They get sentry, meaning terrain is ignored and the can travel the snowy hellscape twice as fast as their Rusky counterparts.
b)They are Cheap, and as unique units, dont automatically become obsolete once gatling guns are discovered. Meaning, I can build and buy a bunch of cheap MM and upgrade them for similarly cheap price as needed.

This ends up mattering a LOT, because I can always prevent units from getting within 1 tile striking range of the city, and minimize most of the 2 tile ranges of non-super-experienced field cannons.'
upload_2021-12-9_1-44-17.jpeg

I do think the USA is a good choice for an ice age, but subtly so; which is largely why I'm going straight to including it as the human player after no inclusion as previous AI. Regardless, in my Hot War with the proto-soviets, I'm actually able to defend Alaska with reasonable strength; I think the lowest my defense at the city got was like 40%, though I cant find an actual screenshot or save file at that particular point. In lieu of tht though, heres another battlegorund photo with me at like ~60%:

upload_2021-12-9_1-48-57.jpeg

Russia would constantly regroup and reassault Anchorage every 10 or so tuirns for a few iterations, but never managed to become especially close to taking the city. Part of that is the subtle American Moxie I alluded to earlier, but a big part also has to do with an *ICE AGE INSIGHT* (about time I bring that back in) discovered over this run:

IAI # [Don't remember, I'll check and edit later if I feel like it]: Snow is surprisingly EXTREMELY Defensible.

For real, I feel like I'm fighting my own Russian Winter Insurgency against the actual Russians. It's a hoot. In the meantime though, I manage to try and bring the fght to them with my navy, since tI noticed theirs is surprisingly sparse. After a few naval battles to wrest control of the, let's just call it 'Anti-Mediterranean' from here on out, I was able to navally siege Belgrade. Hopefully I can shift pressure from my own teritor to Catherine's, especially if she shifts her FGs to come bombard my ships, but I also have an expert spy working on the city defenses in the meantime (btw, the espionage revamp might be my fave part of the new VP version so far).

upload_2021-12-9_1-58-18.jpeg

We'll see how things go from here, though I'll warn that my work requires extended hours during holiday season so no guarantees on timeliness as I don't know how often I'll have for Civ V free time.

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-9_1-45-38.jpeg
    upload_2021-12-9_1-45-38.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 44
So a lot happens around the late 200s, so apologize if I skip over anything. I'm realizing I forgot to mention that in stark contrast to his performance last time, Gustavus of Sweden becomes the second dead civilization after simultaneous war with ALL of his immediate neighbors at once somehow did not turn out well. Feel free to follow along with the Swedish demise on the minimaps on previous posts. RIP, and all that jazz.

Anyway, more importantly, MY situation:

For one thing, I had a bit of a hiccup with my planned global economic empire, which is to say, the Dutch beat me to my gold-based corporation plan. My backup, sugar-based Trader Sid's, was taken by Morocco. These are the only two corporations at this point, and they each cover my only two monopolies. So, I improvise, and buy the Incan puppet of Bratislava, because after searching around I noticed that it had the ONLY single source of Truffles in the game. Agricultural-Industrial complex, here I come.

upload_2021-12-13_3-19-7.jpeg

upload_2021-12-13_3-14-17.jpeg

Anyway, as to the war front:

upload_2021-12-13_3-2-0.jpeg

upload_2021-12-13_3-2-37.jpeg

As you can see, my naval siege of belgrade was much more successful than Catherine's dreams of a Russian Alaska (pfft, what a wacky concept) ever turned out to be. To her credit/discredit, she turned out to be more stubborn than Harald and I had to retake belgrade like two more times before she finally sued for peace. This really worked out timing wise because it wasn't long before I got two brand new replacement wars declared on me!

Incidentally, remember how I'd just bought the shroom capital of the world?

upload_2021-12-13_3-21-42.jpeg

Nice while it lasted. I already finished the headquarters, so I traded it right back to the Inca before the English could reconquer. I got a couple lesser cities in return; these included Funchal, which I liberated and thus acquired Portugal as a voluntary Vassal, and one of their southeastern island colonies, which I named after the Southernest US major city, Miami.

Meanwhile, the other aggressor was the still-surviving Norsemen, the SurVikings, if you will:

upload_2021-12-13_3-7-17.jpeg

By the way, CV, you may have been right about Wittenberg-canal strategy:

upload_2021-12-13_3-9-28.jpeg

...Of all the tiles to place an embassy... more like an Embarassy (I would pre-emptively like to NOT apologize for that pun, btw).

hahaha believe it or not, I do not.

Anyway, got to play some again this weekend, so here are the early 300s developments:

- Even after peace Catherine and I continue wasting our GGs on petty tit-for tat citadel bombing. Also, as you can see, My Dutch allies have finally made the long trek to invade Russia, just in time to be of no help, of course.

upload_2021-12-22_15-26-7.jpeg

- I've also finally managed to catch up enough in science and culture to start building wonders again, like Cristo Redentor and the true to life towers-of-minimal-histrorical-significance:

upload_2021-12-22_15-36-47.jpeg

-Ideologies start being applied and battle lines are drawn. I initially join Morocco with some good old American **FREEDOM (tm)***, against a burgeoning alliance of order under the Dutch, Inca and (of course) the Russians. Elizabeth Picks up Autocracy, once again a single lone choice. I do wonder why the AI seems to be so averse to it in general, but maybe its just been a coincidental few games in a row for me.

Anyway, what follows is everyone else choosing Order and then making it the World ideology. Cold war mentalities ensue, which is not good for the ideological minorities such as myself. Also, really puts a damper on my Cultural victory aspirations BTW, for which I was already kind of lagging:

upload_2021-12-22_15-42-35.jpeg

I'm not quite giving up on it yet, but who knows, maybe I can just keep bribing William for tech and sneak a last-minute tech victory instead.

upload_2021-12-22_15-44-7.jpeg

Huh I never finished with the final report I guess, I could've sworn I did. Well I don't have pictures anymore on current computer, but yeah William won diplo, I'm like 95% sure. I might do another round since I'm coming back to an 'on' in my on-off habits, but we’ll see.

Definitely an interesting map choice. I am wondering if it makes sense to walk your first settler to the equatorial region, even if you lose 10 turns. Tundra is just so bad if you don't get the tundra pantheon.

Top Bottom