1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Extremely Early Economic Victory (Marathon)

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Age of Discovery II' started by Stacmon, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Stacmon

Stacmon Explorer

Hello all,

On turn 216 of my marathon game as New France, the English Colonies managed to win an Economic Victory. None of my opponents were particularly advanced at this point and the victory seemed to come way too early in my opinion. In fact, the English only had 3 cities, one of which was nearly completely French (culture :lol:). There had been no battles, the European powers were limited to a handful of colonies and I had not even fully explored the map. I had three cities at the time (Québec, Montréal and Outaouais) and was playing on Governor difficulty.

I imagine this is an unintended error. Either the economic victory condition doesn't properly scale with the game speed, or it might be related to the King of ______ wins an Economic victory bug, discussed in a different thread.

Can anyone comment if they've had such a problem running the game on the standard *game speed* (edit: not difficulty)? I may try to play a Marathon game and disable Economic/Industrial victories until we can identify the source of the problem.

Also, the map I chose is Ozzy's Americas.

I have attached my save file in case it is of any use.

Attached Files:

2. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

I always disable eco and industrial win. Helps improve your game too. If you can win without them, you can always win.

3. craigdh

craigdh Chieftain

Sounds like a scaling issue to me... I've gone for the economic victory on a few occasions and aside from the fact that your home country seems to accumulate trade faster then it should (it should stay at 0), the other European countries don't accumulate at an outrageous rate... although my only complaint about the economic race is that it seems to be by tonnes traded, not dollars traded, which gives the competitors a bit of an advantage possibly as they like to trade raw materials a bit more (this is my assumption atleast as they keep us decently with lesser developed economies).

4. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

As our friend Hermann has shown buying and selling repeatidly the same cargo of trade goods is very effective...

You get a good boost if you need have plenty of PPs and need some TPs.

5. Stacmon

Stacmon Explorer

If this is indeed the case, I agree with you that dollar value has more relevance than tonnage.

Regarding the trading back and forth of a good, like trade goods, to achieve an economic victory, I'm not sure what could be done to address this, but it certainly sounds like it needs attention. However, if there is no straightforward way to fix it and it is only an option for human players, the best "fix" might just be human self-control.

6. craigdh

craigdh Chieftain

I think most people go for military victory any ways... mind you it's nice to have other options as viable and right now the economic one could be tweaked. The industrial one isn't bad, but even on the hardest level the comp never seems to actually have much production, so it's not too difficult if you're willing to put in the time.

7. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Stacmon:

Did you save/load that game before the eco win? There's a bug with epic/marathon eco/prod/pirate victories that the scaled value resets to the normal value on loading a saved game.

This is fixed for 1.10 though. :)

8. Stacmon

Stacmon Explorer

Yes, I saved the game I believe the turn before the English won (215 versus 216, if I remember correctly).

I'm glad to know that you're working so hard to address these issues, as this is really a fantastic mod. You've practically got the market cornered :lol:!