F^4 Do you play GOTM and Succession games?

As a GOTM Player do you actively play Succession Games?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters

hotrod0823

Deity
This has been a nagging question for me for a long time.

Why don't more GOTM players join SG's?

Why don't more SG's play GOTM?

The numbers are increasing for sure as more SG players play GOTM but SG's are always looking for Fresh players. Try one today.

[edit] Clearly I am enjoying today way too much :lol: :D

Well, I've been lurking a long time at that forum before I entered one. I'm currently in CTR1 - Deity virgin sacrifice. I would like to enter more but first I've to find some time somewhere. And then there are the Realms beyond where I'd like to enter, and I've not tried all the multiplayer options in PTW, and ... aaaargh ... :crazyeye:

Being fairly new to the GOTM arena, I've just discovered the SG's in the last couple of days.

They look like fun, will have to check them out!:thumbsup:

The vast majority of my available time goes to GotM but I took the plunge and tried an SG (EM5) and have had a good time with it.

I shan't get involved in another until I've finished GotM 20 though :)

Ted

Originally posted by hotrod0823
Why don't more GOTM players join SG's?

Time!:( Since I can barely find enough time to do 1 game a month, I can't possibly take on another game like Quick Game or SG. With the GOTM, I have about 30 days to find time. For example, in GOTM20, I play the first 80 plus turn in one session on June 1st and another short session during that 1st week and haven't had time to touch it ever since. But I do hope that I could find another 6 hours this weekend to get to Industrial Age so that I can view the second spoiler thread. For a SG, when it's my turn and I don't have time to play, I can't really expect other players to wait a week for my moves.:(

I have lurked the SG boards for a long time. Have learned a lot from many of the better player games. I thought about joining the one you (?) have now which is a game with no Iron..as that sounded like a lot of fun..

BUT...speaking soley for myself..there are two reasons why I started GOTMS but not succ games ...yet.

1. Time. As moonsinger says. The GOTM allows me flexibility to play when I can. Typically, that is every other night (I learned you and I have the same play schedule in another thread hotrod), but sometimes I can't...and I would hate to hold up other players. I also have shadowed a couple RB games for fun..and have thought about submitting there as well...

2. ..and probably the main reason. I am not confident enough in my skills to not embarrass myself and screw up the team. Maybe I am being paranoid....who knows. My first emperor game was gotm19..and my first deity game gotm20. I want more confidence in my games before I try.

Time is understandable. Right now I am in SG overload. When games are just stating out 10 turns goes quick. By the time modern war fare comes around it can take forever.

I find SG enjoyable just to break up the monontony of playing the same game all the time.

My suggestion is to lurk, ask questions and join. Get your feet wet in a game you feel confortable in then see how it goes.

I have played the last 4 gotm's and lost them all. I have learned to play better but I thought that joining an sg game would help. So, I joined an sg game and, wow, I am learning more:) and we are winning on Monarch. I know this may not seem like much to all you people who have been playing civ since forever, but I am only in my 1st year of the addiction

I intend to keep playing gotm and at least one sg going at all times:)

Not enough time for both (barely enough for GOTM).

I've played two SGs and enjoyed them both. One was monarch level with the Sultan and very enjoyable. Several of the payers had never played a space race and it was fun being resident expert. The other is a deity SG with Killer and Propain. Tough game that is at the edge of my abilities. I'd like to play more.

Voted no, because I never happened to find an open slot in a 1.29 deity SG. :(

Originally posted by tao
Voted no, because I never happened to find an open slot in a 1.29 deity SG. :(
I voted NO though I would like to join an SG at most any level, as I'm sure I would learn a lot from it.

But I too would have to find a 1.29 slot as PTW is not an option on my Mac, and they don't seem to come up very often.

There are plenty of low-level succession games going, and if you're in a situation where none of the going ones suit you, then it's likely someone else is in the same situation, so try starting your own!

If you are worried about embarassing yourself, just state what your skill level is, and then the game sponsor will decide whether the game is appropriate for you or not. Personally I tend to like having a mix of players of different skill levels, since that's when the most learning takes place.

It's lots of fun to interact with other players in a more co-operative than competitive way.

The biggest problem with SGs really is lack of time....I have a personal rule about never getting into more than 2 at once.

-Sirp.

Top Bottom