Facebook parenting soup for the troubled teenage soul; Too strong?

Artifis

El Gato is not happy
<snip>

For those who can't be bothered to watch the 8-minute video (uploaded two days ago), it's basically a dad punishing his rebellious daughter. The 15-year-old girl gets angry at her parents and posts a nice long hate letter on Facebook, insulting them with profanities quite a few times and saying that she is being over-worked and not appreciated at all.

He finds this out after spending half a day and $130 upgrading her laptop. And he gets mad, real mad.

So this daddy gets up, and records a video of himself reading out the letter and replies to several of the claims made in it. After which, he gets up, takes the camera to focus on his daughter's laptop on the ground, takes out his pistol, and puts nine bullets through it.

After this, daddy says she isn't going to get a new laptop until she pays for it from her own money (she complains in the letter about being made to look for a job). In addition, she's grounded till college, has to pay her father the $130 he spent on upgrading her laptop, and has to watch as this video goes completely viral (809,437 views at the last count).

So... I'm quite torn about this video. On one hand, I think the daughter went too far. She is obviously quite a brat, and may have thought that she could get away with dissing her parents with no respect at all. Also, it's apparent that this isn't the first time she's done something like this on Facebook.

On the other hand, I'm not too sure what to think of the father who says that his daughter is grounded until college, unloads his pistol on his daughter's laptop and puts it up for the whole world to see. He isn't doing this in a rage on his own. The mom also knows what's going on (as he's shooting he talks about the mother requesting one bullet in the laptop for an insult made about her). Lastly, when kids turn out nasty, you have to ask questions about those who raised them.

What do you all think?

(And yes, please keep it civil)

Moderator Action: Video containing inappropriate language removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Stupid slut deserves it all. Clearly she's wasn't being treated particularly harshly beforehand, maybe this might get it into her head that she's not a princess, and her parents aren't her personal servants.

Moderator Action: Trollish comment, please avoid calling people "stupid sluts."
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

*snort*

she's lived such a hard life. :(

i don't agree with his inappropriate use of firearms however.

He is going on 15 as well.

Why not just sell the laptop.

So... I'm quite torn about this video. On one hand, I think the daughter went too far. She is obviously quite a brat, and may have thought that she could get away with dissing her parents with no respect at all. Also, it's apparent that this isn't the first time she's done something like this on Facebook.

On the other hand, I'm not too sure what to think of the father who says that his daughter is grounded until college, unloads his pistol on his daughter's laptop and puts it up for the whole world to see. He isn't doing this in a rage on his own. The mom also knows what's going on (as he's shooting he talks about the mother requesting one bullet in the laptop for an insult made about her). Lastly, when kids turn out nasty, you have to ask questions about those who raised them.
I find it funny (in a sad sort of way) that the dad reacts in the exact same manner as the daughter to get back at her.

Eh, she deserved it and it will be a good lesson for her, namely that her parents are not tech illiterate and she can't lash out in that direction wihtout consequences. There are a lot of teens who need that reminder, especially as employers start using the internet as their primary vetting avenue.

It was his laptop to shoot, so be it.

Shooting the laptop wasn't really necessary. Decadent first-worlders.

That was a waste of a good laptop.

Personally I have the feeling that shooting a laptop is lowering himself to her level if not lower. It was pretty childish.

(Note: I didn't watch the video as it was removed just before I came in the thread so I'm commenting on the OP).

I don't know one teenager who hasn't cussed out their parents. Not to mention we don't even know much about the situation, we heard her side and his side. From what she described it does sound like too much. And getting paid for chores is hardly anything new. You can say no but freaking out and grounding your kid for months and destroying their computer is clearly an insane sort of punishment. You'd think she was stealing money, running away from home, selling drugs, or something.

Kids are more immature in what they say to others. Failing to understand that makes you unfit to be a parent imo. Protip: People don't learn things because you punish them hard enough, you're just injecting fear. It's authoritarian and wrong.

I'm saying all of this not knowing a thing about her. She could be a total ***** for all I know but this guy still goes way too far.

I find it funny (in a sad sort of way) that the dad reacts in the exact same manner as the daughter to get back at her.

I imagine the argument is that tit-for-tat retaliation - with escalation to, among other things, firearms - is an underused instrument in the parenting toolkit.

Given just the girl's video I'd be tempted to say she's being a total jerk. That she's 15 is good corroboration. Adding the parent's response, OTOH, I think it's more likely she was simply putting on display the values and character instilled in her by her parents.

Eh, she deserved it
Ah yes the golden eye-for-an-eye standard. As said. Self-righteousnesses is so much fun[party]
and it will be a good lesson for her, namely that her parents are not tech illiterate and she can't lash out in that direction wihtout consequences.
"Don't mess with us - we'll screw you" is a valuable lesson in itself? :lol:
There are a lot of teens who need that reminder, especially as employers start using the internet as their primary vetting avenue.
Now that's actually an important lesson, won't argue that.

Exactly, this is it - she learns it from her parents. If your child is a spoilt brat then you only have yourself to blame.

Pity the you guys couldn't see the video, but yeah I suppose my OP is detailed enough. Interesting really.. I was expecting to see more responses which actually sided with the father..

It's nice to see that her father has instilled in her a healthy respect for firearms and how not to misuse them. Oh, wait!

Father sounds like an abusive psychopath. Oh wow he spends 130 dollars upgrading her laptop, what a generous guy! Um, what? He brought her into this world, he's still responsible for her, and equipping your children with computers is a 21st century first world necessity.

If this is what he's willing to do publicly I'm worried how he is in private.

Stupid slut deserves it all. Clearly she's wasn't being treated particularly harshly beforehand, maybe this might get it into her head that she's not a princess, and her parents aren't her personal servants.
Also, what the hell is this? Why are you calling a child a slut? How is this an okay reaction to have?

If this is what he's willing to do publicly I'm worried how he is in private.

So am I. I'm seriously wondering how long it will be before a social worker shows up at their door.

They should both be sentenced to at least one year of reform through labor in a chinese sweatshop to learn appreciate the worth of a laptop.

Top Bottom