Factors influencing Hide supply

WildPony

Warlord
Greetings :). I made a modest attempt to search out the answer to this question but was not able to find what i was looking for. Was hoping somebody will be able to let me know or link me to all of the factors that influence the continuation or the curtailment of hide supply. As one example, i thought i read somewhere (and experience seems to substantiate this) that city size is a big factor, but i don't remember specifically. Something like (but not exactly) when a city becomes size 8 (or 9 or 7 or something) it becomes x % likely to immediately lose its hide supply. As another example, i have also noticed from a fair amount of personal experience that hide supply seems to die quite often when a trade is made to the hide supplying city. i am wondering too if a city supplies hides and the player also builds one or more other commodities from that city, does landing these non-hide commodities make it more likely that the hide supply will immediately be eliminated.

I want to protect hide supply, but i don't want to adhere to any myths in the process :).

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Have you been reading through Solo's Early Landing Guide?
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/82209-Early-Landing-Games-Strategy-Guide
That contains pretty much everything there is to know about trade.

Once again you have provided me with a most excellent resource for which i am eternally thankful :). Have begun reading through the trade section and i am entertained along the way while seeking the specific answer to my question :).

This is a funny exerp: ...
For a long time, many players believed that changes to supply and demand lists occurred randomly. Other players, including myself, believed that changes in the demand lists of AI cities usually coincided with the turn before attempting deliveries of demanded cargos. Such notions have been disproved by recent research, which has revealed that the game will always use a trigger to signal when it is time to re-evaluate and update a city’s supply and demand lists.

Great resource, but having searched through it for everything it says about hides, it does not contain the answers i seek. I say this only in the hopes that there will be additional ideas :).

Based on what I have read and experienced, these are my ideas:
Putting aside the "magical" features of hides, it is still a commodity, and commodities shift. There is the "potential shift" that potentially changes supply and demand, when you get more techs or the city grows or maybe other things. And this "potential shift" of commodities comes to life at the 16-turn-solo-cycle or a trigger event. Trigger events are delivery/receiving a van (or hmm, I don't know, somebody else?)
So when your hides supply potentially dries out, you can still more hides-vans until you do not deliver or the solo-cycle hits.

So I would say (good news!), yes there is a way to preserve hides supply:
Spoiler :
Do this(bad news):
-Don't grow
-Don't discover new techs

Unfortunately, it's like this:
At some point, you will lose trade bonus after discovering invention/navigation, railroad, flight.
At some point, you will lose your 10s-warrior
At some point, you will lose your 20s-horse(unless you can skip chivalry, which is great, but is only possible rarely)

So, bad things happen to your civ, but these are inevitable, just as losing hides as a commodity.

In GOTM #168, we (well, we who went for spaceship) had a lot of hides deliveries to the AI, you might want to have a look at that game.

Based on what I have read and experienced, these are my ideas:
Putting aside the "magical" features of hides, it is still a commodity, and commodities shift. There is the "potential shift" that potentially changes supply and demand, when you get more techs or the city grows or maybe other things. And this "potential shift" of commodities comes to life at the 16-turn-solo-cycle or a trigger event. Trigger events are delivery/receiving a van (or hmm, I don't know, somebody else?)
So when your hides supply potentially dries out, you can still more hides-vans until you do not deliver or the solo-cycle hits.

So I would say (good news!), yes there is a way to preserve hides supply:
Spoiler :
Do this(bad news):
-Don't grow
-Don't discover new techs

Unfortunately, it's like this:
At some point, you will lose trade bonus after discovering invention/navigation, railroad, flight.
At some point, you will lose your 10s-warrior
At some point, you will lose your 20s-horse(unless you can skip chivalry, which is great, but is only possible rarely)

So, bad things happen to your civ, but these are inevitable, just as losing hides as a commodity.

All true :p. I believe that receiving a trade into a hide supplier is often the kiss of death as well, though definitely not every time. I had just hoped that you might have another nifty little chart for me like the one you linked that says how many turns it takes to transform the different terrains :). In most cases vs. ai, i research everything else possible before invention/navi and before flight and when they are all that is left, i usually research them without hesitation. Railroad i generally rush strait towards, largely because the Corp is just around the corner to more than make up for the hit with Automobile and Super Highways also nearby to open the way to the best trade ever :). By flight it's almost game over anyway :).

VS powerful human enemies, Invention and Navi are highly coveted and raced for regardless of the fact that trade bonuses are halved :). Many times in this hotly contested race, when one player builds Leos or Magellans, the other guy is heart broken and resigns :). I had one German league game once where one of the masters laid 400 shields into Magellans and i managed to sneak a dip in and sabotage it. The disappointment was so great that he lost his will to play and resigned in disgust :)

In GOTM #168, we (well, we who went for spaceship) had a lot of hides deliveries to the AI, you might want to have a look at that game.

I am not extremely familiar with the site, are you able to link me to where i would go to open up everybody's saves for each of the gotms? Thank you again for all of your most kind help :).

I am not extremely familiar with the site, are you able to link me to where i would go to open up everybody's saves for each of the gotms? Thank you again for all of your most kind help :).

You will be able to find it here:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/gotm/archive
when the scoring is completed and the results are posted. Gotm # 168 is the next one in the line.

Top Bottom