Which fantasy race would you play first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FramedArchitect

Reluctant Modder

Between 2011 to 2016 I created one of the most popular Civilization 5 mods of all time -- Faerun.

Set in the Forgotten Realms, Faerun became the largest and most immersive fantasy mod for Civ5, featuring original artwork, new game mechanics and a massive scenario. Over five years I invested more than 2500 hours to bring you a top-quality mod.

Last edited:
I really like Faerun for Civ5 FramedArchitect and I'm pumped you're planning it for Civ6 as well. I'd love to help with the mod but lack of time/skill is a bit of a detriment so I'll contribute the other way.

If Firaxis continues to take their time releasing the SDK how significant will delays in mod development be? How much of the Civ5 mod was dll based?

Last edited:
Awesome possum, super excited again. You're mod was the closest thing i had to FFH2 for civ 5 :) I asked you WAY back if you could have a terraform spell for tiles and you said it couldn't be done. Perhaps possible in civ 6?

Thats good news! If you need alpha/beta testing, i'd be glad to help! Also i can help for french translation.

Nice to see Faerun transposed to Civ VI.
And I can help with Italian translation, if you need

I didn't even know there were fantasy mods in Civ5 - after some time, I gave up on it and never returned. Now having read your post, I tried Faerun and played two whole games.
It's no Fall from Heaven (Sorry, but I guess every fantasy mod has to compare to this masterpiece) but it's quite well done and I'd love to see it come to CivVI and enhanced upon.

Sadly I neither have any modding skills, nor money to spare, but I am eager to help out as translator to german and as professional tester (I did this for a living for 5 years and I know what to look for).
If you're interested in either translation help or testing or both, please drop a PM and I'll get back to you.

...I'd love to help with the mod but lack of time/skill is a bit of a detriment so I'll contribute the other way. If Firaxis continues to take their time releasing the SDK how significant will delays in mod development be? How much of the Civ5 mod was dll based?
You know, testing and feedback is probably the most valuable thing a community member can offer a modder! If there's no SDK by January I'm going to have to rethink the Civ6 version, which I had hoped to sketch in by next summer. The Civ5 version was a dll mod, but it wasn't my work. My coding up to now has been strictly database and simple lua scripts, but I've been learning C and hope to eventually craft my own DLL.
I asked you WAY back if you could have a terraform spell for tiles and you said it couldn't be done. Perhaps possible in civ 6?
I hope so. The issue with Civ5 terraforming wasn't that it was impossible, but rather that the graphics engine would not update the map until you reloaded a game. Since terraforming is all about visual cues, that really cut into that idea, and is one reason I never released my Alpha Centauri full conversion.
Excellent! I hope to be part of the fantasy unit team :)
I hope so, too! And, more importantly, I hope to be able to pay talented artists like you for your work, which is the reason for this donations thread.
Thats good news! If you need alpha/beta testing, i'd be glad to help! Also i can help for french translation.
Nice to see Faerun transposed to Civ VI.
And I can help with Italian translation, if you need
Translations are always welcome. The issue will eventually be the volume. the Civ5 version file holding all the text strings is over 20,000 lines long. It amazed me when somebody actually translated the whole thing into Japansese... Wow!
Yeah, I love Faerun, at least before the 4E stuff tore it apart...I look forward to it.
The Spellplague concept could actually be integrated as an interesting game mechanic or victory kind of thing. I was never creative enough to pull that off...
It's no Fall from Heaven (Sorry, but I guess every fantasy mod has to compare to this masterpiece) but it's quite well done and I'd love to see it come to CivVI and enhanced upon.
I never played that Civ4 mod, but I understand a large team of people labored on that for years. That would be my dream for Faerun, even if I had to step aside.
Sadly I neither have any modding skills, nor money to spare, but I am eager to help out as translator to german and as professional tester (I did this for a living for 5 years and I know what to look for).
If you're interested in either translation help or testing or both, please drop a PM and I'll get back to you.
Testing and feedback are great offers. Most of that for the Civ5 version was done by me and my friend Kat, who really was the impetus for this whole thing. But as you know, two people just cannot catch every bug much less create a balanced mod. For the Civ6 version I'm hoping to create more nuanced gameplay and make playing each civilization a completely new experience. The issue, of course, is going to be AI which is why I'm trying to get up to speed on dll modding.

I never played that Civ4 mod, but I understand a large team of people labored on that for years. That would be my dream for Faerun, even if I had to step aside.
Yes, it was a Team and they worked for quite some time. It would be great if you could assemble sonething similar. Why should you step down in that case? It's your Mod after all and you are the creative Mind behind it - stay on that steering wheel :D
On a sidenote - if you posess Civ4 and it's addons, check FFH2 out at some time, it's not only still very good and enjoyable, you might get some inspiration for your own work from it.

Testing and feedback are great offers. Most of that for the Civ5 version was done by me and my friend Kat, who really was the impetus for this whole thing. But as you know, two people just cannot catch every bug much less create a balanced mod. For the Civ6 version I'm hoping to create more nuanced gameplay and make playing each civilization a completely new experience. The issue, of course, is going to be AI which is why I'm trying to get up to speed on dll modding.
I have to say, for a one-man mod and a two-man testing team, Faerun for Civ5 is very, very impressive and I'd be glad to help out on that part for the Civ6 Version. I also absolutely agree, that the Civ6 AI is... in need of enhancement. So if you get into DLL-Modding, that would be a great boon, most probably for other aspects of the mod as well.
But lets see, what the next Patch and the modding tools will do, once released. Maybe you only need half the effort you think for your goals.

FramedArchitect said:

Every great mod has a great team, with a great leader that has the vision, the passion, the drive, the discipline, and the charisma to pull off creating a masterpiece. Don't stand aside unless you find that leader isn't you.

I hope so, too! And, more importantly, I hope to be able to pay talented artists like you for your work, which is the reason for this donations thread.

Nah, I don't need money, just talented people such as yourself to assist me in developing my Bloodmoon mod(s). I accept payment using the barter system of skill-trading lol :)

Nice to see you picking up the Faerun mod project for Civ six bud! I wish I had the spare scratch to give proper support, but I can at the very least offer my tester hands since I've spent so much time playing your Civ V BNW version of Faerun. :)

I might join later as a part time software engineer / coder , I am a professional software engineer . I mainly code in C and ASM for embedded system programmer (Job) and CPP/Java for game programming (Indie game programming) .
Recently I am very busy because of the project I am working on . First time being a lead programmer of a small group , I want my project to go well . I am very interested in helping you with this mod . I can contribute as soon as it is possible for me . If you need a programmer , ping me . :)

I never played the Faerûn mod, or Civ 5, but I have a few questions. Is there going to be a Faerûn map, and/or a Toril map in general, a Kara-Tur map, etc.(with TSL)? Also, what nations can you play? I'd love to see some 5e (1490's DR) nations like Waterdeep, Cormyr, Calimshan, etc., but also some past countries, like Delzoun, Imaskar, Tuigan Horde, and of course, Netheril. On top of that, will there be Faerûn-specific city-states, like Neverwinter, Candlekeep, and others? Is each country going to have their own unique tree, or is it going to be each race. Or maybe there will be certain groups (Thay, Halruaa, and Netheril would be more magic-focused, for instance?) Maybe that was more than a few questions, hehe. By the way, I have little to no coding knowledge, so I can't join the team.

Top Bottom