failed to allocate video memory crash

Kdashrow

Chieftain
Here's the problem:

I installed my copy of Civilization IV a few days ago. It worked okay but crashed whenever a civilization built a wonder. So, I downloaded the latest version of the patch from the website (1.61). Now, whenever I load a game or start a new game or load a scenario the game crashes and I get a window saying "Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings.
File:\Source\main\Civilization4\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\C oreLibs\NiDX9RenderedTextureData.cpp, Line:170"

so now my game is unplayable. I have an Intel Pentium 4 processor, 512 mb of ddr sdram memory and the nvidia GeForce FX Go5100 with 32 mb vram.

Any help would be appreciated!

Have you actually tried to reduce your graphics settings? Lower the resolution, set graphics details to low, ... try playing in a window (ini file option).

I had the exact same problem and no even with lowest Graphic Settings it will still say that, and why didn't it say that before the patch 1.61?
Clearly there is something wrong with this patch

Have you guys tried to reinstall the DirectX? There's the "DX9" string in "NiDX9RenderedTextureData", might be related.

I found this solution in a Polish forum:
uninstall game, reboot, reinstall game, patch, reinstall directx, reboot

"FATAL_ERROR .... \NiDX9Renderer\NiDX9RenderedtextureData\... - jeśli pojawia się ten błąd przy uruchomieniu gry to widać że jest to wina bibliotek Directa X.. Należy odinstalowac calkowicie gre.. zrobić reset.. ponownie zainstalować i w dodatku zainstalować jeszcze raz Direct X z płytki od gry i zrobić ponownie reset i będzie działać ..
http://forums.civ.org.pl/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4767

Ok putting in a window really has helped me! So Try that!
But the problem still persists and sometimes you will still get that crash. 20 days ago.

I haven't yet tried Crunch's polish solution though so if it worked well could someone tell me and tell me if they still got the crash but less often?

i'm getting this problem too, but with an older radeon 9800. and it only starts to happen in the late industrial age. i can barely get through one turn before it crashes. even with running at 1024x768, low graphics settings

Putting it in a window does help alot but recently it went back to the way it was before window or no window.

Unless you wanted to try Crunch's Polish solution;) And tell me if it works
But I fear it might come back again like the Window did for me

Poor poor Taijex, ok for me it says
File:\Source\main\Civilzation4\SDKs\Gamebyro2_0\Corelibs\NiDX9Renderer\NiDX9RenderedTextureData.cpp, Line 170

Perhpas this line 170 has something to do with it or DX9 means you we should reinstall our Direct X 9.0

(my Civ has just crashed:( :cry: )

currently trying the above "polish method", but how do i "reinstall directx"? i run the dx9c_redist setup file, but after it searches for already-installed components, it basically finds them already there and says i'm done (no need to re-install). nor is there an option in control panel -> add or remove programs to uninstall DX9

As for the "Crunch's Polish method", hehe, don't blame me if that won't work. I just tried to help by removing some language barriers that most of you guys probably have.

Anyway, another idea, try
- installing DirectX from the CD
- downloading the latest version from microsoft.

Yes i think I downloaded the latest Direct X from Microsoft website (June 6?) But I had my hopes up high when it worked the best it ever did but then crashed and told me I have not enough Video memory.
Though it seems to crash when Leaders try to talk to me, not always just randomly.

Ok I just uninstalled and reinstalled again so if I still get problems I'll tell
(This was not Crunch's Polish Method, I just reinstalled)

I also have this same problem. It used to tell me to insert the correct CD ROm now it loads and then crashes right before the game starts.

I tried putting the game in a window and it still says that.

This is bullsh!t. I have the game, let me play it. How can they sell games and then have so many bugs and bumps in the road to get over. It's really a terrible job by the creators.

Anything else I shoudl try? If you are going to get specific then explain Im not too techy. Thanks.

Awight, I know this is not the solution you're lookin 4. But if you can't be bothered mucking about with DirectX settings etc, this is what I found out at 3 in the morning whilst playing. I planned for my wonder to be completed the turn when the game autosaves. Sure enough, the game would crash as the wonder movie was displyed. Then I reloaded the autogame save, and the game would (strangely enough) play the movie and all was fine and dandy. As you probably realise, it takes a few 'reloading' of the game, in order to complete the conquest of the world, and it might not work for YOU, but it was a quick fix for me.

I ran across this same problem. Sorry this post is a little long, but it includes a summary of proposed fixes I have found to date and tried unsuccessfully.

Again the problem ... "Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings.
File:\Source\main\Civilization4\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\C oreLibs\NiDX9RenderedTextureData.cpp, Line:170"

It only started to occur when I began playing the AoD scenario (granted it is the largest map I have played on Civ4). And it occurs only when the video plays after discovering a new religion (mid 1538). Now earlier in the game videos played fine upon discovery of wonders. I can also continue on with the game by changing the technology I research, of course you can only avoid the discovery techs for so long. With that I beleive I have done everything suggested in the board to date ... to include:

(1) Tried loading auto-save version of the game after crash, one that was saved just before the video played. This did not work.

(2) Change "HideMinSpecWarning = 0" to "1" in civilizationiv.ini file

(3) Downloaded and installed latest DirectX drivers

(4) Installed most recent video drivers. (Radeo 9700 Pro w/128Mb)

(5) Started with a fresh install of Civ4 and latest patch.

I've also tried tinkering with the XML files to prevent the video from playing altogether. Thus far I have not been successful, but I haven't invested much time in it either. If someone has hints in this regard, that would be great.

Now here is the rub. I have three machines and witness the problem on all three. Two are reasonably high-end and one is a moderate system. I am having difficulty beleiving it is really a memory problem. All are described below. It would be nice to see configurations that have successfully played the game and if anyone has discovered anything new or have most people simply given up. It would be nice to find a common thread.

All systems are running Windows XP SP2. WRT civ4 I am running v1.61.

Dell, Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
512Mb memory
Radeon 9700 Pro w/128M

Acer Travelmate 8204WLMi
Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0Ghz
2GB of memory
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 512MB Hypermemory, 256MB of dedicatd GDDR3 VRAM

AMD ATHLON64 X2 4200 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
1GB memory
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Again, it would be good to see system configs of people who have play the AoD scenario all the way through along with configs that have experienced problems in order to find a common thread. Thanks in advance for any information or ideas ...

i have exact same problem, happens when getting close to industrial age.
playing warlords 2.08 patch, had problems before the patch too. (and before warlords) Have tried to run at all possible video settings, low & high, doesn't matter at all, still crashes. And not just to desktop, mostly it crashes my computer forcing me to reboot. :(

my spec:
P4 3.2 GHz
1 Gb ram
Radeon 9600xt 128Mb ram
Audigy 2 sound card
latest video & sound driver, latest directX & windows XP sp2.

Top Bottom