Failing wonders

hr_oskar

Deity
So, failing to build a wonder converts the hammer into culture, right? But how much and is it local culture for the purpose of border growth?

It seems like there is no notification for failing to build a wonder, unless I've just failed to notice it. I'd ideally want a notification saying how many hammers where converted into how much culture.

Oh I just thought I got nothing when there wasnt a change in gold, thats how much I was paying attention ....

Getting nothing would definitely be too punitive. Design-wise, it's a fine balance between having intentional fail-building as a cheesy strategy (as in Civ4) if the compensation is too good vs a low compensation making early wonder-building so risky as to make players just quit and restart if they fail an ancient era wonder (I think VP may be at this extreme).

You don't get a notification at the right side of your screen, but a sentence on the upper middle (where messages like "An enemy Musketman attacked your Knight (53 damage)" also appear). The sentence disappears after a few seconds, however, and it only states how much culture you get (not how many hammers you invested).

There is text notiification but dissapears after few seconds

Yes I have noticed it, come to think of it, but it's very easy to miss. I'd really wish for a full notification if that's possible at all, plus how many hammers were converted. It's pretty important info.

I am pretty sure you get notifications for every world wonder not built in your empire. You can even get to see which city when you click on its notification because it's highlighted if you have discover said city on the map. Btw I play with EUI.

Yes I have noticed it, come to think of it, but it's very easy to miss. I'd really wish for a full notification if that's possible at all, plus how many hammers were converted. It's pretty important info.
It would be nice to get a full notification because losing a wonder is a very impacting effect.

I am pretty sure you get notifications for every world wonder not built in your empire. You can even get to see which city when you click on its notification because it's highlighted if you have discover said city on the map. Btw I play with EUI.

Yes you get that regardless of whether you were building the wonder or not. What I mean is a notification on what happened to all the wasted hammers -- how many hammers were converted into how much culture.

Or if I at least knew the conversion rate I could make a more informed decision about whether to attempt a wonder or not. The fact that no-one here has replied to what the :c5production: : :c5culture: rate is tells me that few players actually know.

I just had China expend a GE to beat me to S of Liberty by 1 turn, and I received 300 culture (around a third of my culture per turn), after spending my own GE along with 14 turns worth of production on it...

I think instead of receiving an insultingly low amount of culture, you should receive a certain percentage of hammers (maybe 50%) back, based on the production you had poured into constructing the wonder. As it stands now, you might as well be getting nothing. Another thing to point out is that when completing a wonder the same turn as an opponent, the tie always goes to the AI.

The combination of all this makes for some frustratingly wasted game play, as I often reload depending on how logically I've been screwed over.

Exactly unless this modifies it, you should get a wonder icon to the right which states it has been built by another civilization. This is how it is in the unmodded game.

The Culture received if someone beats you to a Wonder should just be the :c5production:Hammers you put in times 20%, so it's like you just chose the Culture process that does the same thing.

I think the conversion rate should be lower, you're not supposed to be able to mimic a culture process before you research it. The amount of culture is very low, I agree, but after all, losing a wonder race should remain losing it and not just an alternative outcome.

Never do save scumming, that's cheating. Better to accept the loss and reassess the production in the empire.:nono:
As civ can be a relaxing afterwork activity and not some kind of multiplayer E-sports, he can very well load his game after he lost a wonder. Theres literally no problem at all. Hell, he can even restart a game if he doesn't like his starting position. In a world where you are the sole person affected, you can set your own set of rules that you feel comfortable with.*
It's hard to get off the competitional mindset, i agree, but once you see the difference between harming another person through cheating; and just having a non-frustrating break from everydays life in single player mode, you'll see that there's nothing wrong.

*: I know I'll be screwed for this sentence once the machine AIs take over. A risk to take for the good of mankind today.:p

How is it in vanilla civ 5? I am not sure but is it not the way that you get nothing? Or bit of the production is carried over?

I think the conversion rate should be lower, you're not supposed to be able to mimic a culture process before you research it.
People are talking about quitting or reloading when they fail a wonder and you want to nerf it? That sounds like the opposite of reading the room.

Top Bottom