Chieftain
FairWorld.txt

Number of starting locations: 8
Map Size: Standard. (Medium)

Created by: Delar
Email Address: delar@frontiernet.net
Date Posted: 03-12-2002
Map Posted to Forum: User Created Maps
Website Posted to: Civilization Fanatics (http://www.civfanatics.com/)

Map Description:
FairWorld is a map created so that every start location would have an equal opportunity where no starting location would be better than another would. Each starting location has all the necessary resources all near by including rubber, oil, steel, etc. This map was created not only to give an extremely balanced game play but also in anticipation to the Civilization 3 Multiplayer mode hopefully soon to be released.

Download FairWorld

This is my first submission and any comments would really be helpful!

What idea I would like to get some feedback on after some people have the opportunity to try the maps is if I should include 4 islands in each of the “four corners”. The islands would not be large but would make naval power more essential than the current land connected map.

The islands would have some luxuries and maybe gold and gems as resources. I have 5 of my friends playing the different revisions of this map and they are not sure they would like the inclusion of islands but I was curious what the rest of you think.

Personally I found that naval power was near essential for this map because of the intentional inclusion of bottlenecks. I created some transports and battleships to clear the way and had amazing results. The computer IA also seems to make good use of this map, which makes it’s a pleasure playing single player.

My main focus is to create this map for the release of the multi-player functionality. I thought that posting the map here would also get a wide range of comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• fairworld.zip
    42 KB · Views: 226
I like the idea, but when I played the map the computer players didn't always start on the predefined spots (which is essential to make everyone truly equal)

I don't know why this is, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that the map is meant to have 4 players but in the scenario parameters it is set to allow up to 8. Even when I only select 4 players, they still started in the wrong spots occasionally.

That's rather odd since none of my 5 friends who are all playing this map have this problem. gandalfbmg do you have patch 1.17f by chance? Just curious... Anyone else having trouble with starting location placements?

Yeah, I have 1.17f... and I've had similar things happen on other maps, where I (or the computer) will start on a non-pre-defined location even if there's plenty defined for the number of civs playing.

Top Bottom