Faith as a Measure of Intellect

Which faiths, if any, do you believe have no rational legs to stand on?

• None, faith and intelligence are unrelated.

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • Some faiths are, in my view, totally stupid. (Choose as many as you like)

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • Judiasm

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Islam

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Scientology

Votes: 60 54.1%
  • Mormonism

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • Christianity

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Catholocism

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Any religion other than my own is logical fallacy.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Any sect other than my own is logical fallacy.

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters
See post where i ask more information about this non physical world (What it is , how do you know it exists) and what is a better tool to use for finding some answers for it.

Simply , dude there are some things you should expand more and you can't just say them and not add the relevant information because i am certainly going to ask you about it.

I already asked you this before but it was lost in the discussion.

We do not have any tool we can use that any of us know about.

I dont see any particular correlation between an ability to use or understand logic and religious faith. Saul Kripke is one of the most brilliant logicians of our time, and he's devoutly religious, for instance.

You cannot see a correlation if you're specifically looking for examples of a connection. You'll always be able to find connections, regardless of correlations. Correlations are seen through an analysis of statistics, not case studies.

You cannot see a correlation if you're specifically looking for examples of a connection. You'll always be able to find connections, regardless of correlations. Correlations are seen through an analysis of statistics, not case studies.

True dat, I was just giving an example. I'm jus' saying that of logically minded people, I've never really seen any correlation.

I do see a correlation with regard to scientists, though, leaning towards atheism.

Of course, the people in this thread seem to consider science part of "logic", which is baffling to me*, but whatevs.

Spoiler * :
Specifically, it seems silly to just define logic as "whatever is a reasonable mode of examining the world", which is how people in this thread seem to be defining it. Logic is about studying the laws governing the relationships between propositions. Science isn't logic (not even inductive logic), though it may use logic as one aspect of its practice.

True dat, I was just giving an example. I'm jus' saying that of logically minded people, I've never really seen any correlation.

I do see a correlation with regard to scientists, though, leaning towards atheism.

Of course, the people in this thread seem to consider science part of "logic", which is baffling to me*, but whatevs.

Spoiler * :
Specifically, it seems silly to just define logic as "whatever is a reasonable mode of examining the world", which is how people in this thread seem to be defining it. Logic is about studying the laws governing the relationships between propositions. Science isn't logic (not even inductive logic), though it may use logic as one aspect of its practice.

How many truth-gathering methods exist ? (I imagine you could give several different answers to this question and still find a way that each of the different answers you could give as able to appear as the correct one.)

I don't count Scientology as a religion. If I did I would have voted differently.

So all those brilliant scientists who professed a belief or faith in God were lying?

They were probably deists, but not much else.

EDIT: Here's some Einstein quotes. Hardly traditional religion:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
(Albert Einstein, 1954) From Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for the action of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a Supernatural Being.
(Albert Einstein, 1936) Responding to a child who wrote and asked if scientists pray. Source: Albert Einstein: The Human Side, Edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffmann

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
(Albert Einstein, Religion and Science, New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.
(Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

You should do a survey in your logic class of religious belief and then correlate it with class performance.
I have the best performance in my class and I am the most religious. The worst performer in the entire class is the most atheistic. That's all the correlation you need :) .

Sample size of 2? Might be a few outliers in there :p

mangzema
They were probably deists, but not much else.

Deism does not reject faith, it rejects a personal God interacting with us. And the beliefs of the world's most brilliant people thru time are varied from one extreme to the other.

Faith is where intelligence and knowledge leave off, even for brilliant people.

I feel the same way... I mentioned that brilliant people have/had faith and you said up until recently everyone was a believer. So what? That means brilliant people dont have faith?

Brilliant people also eat bread, but you wouldn't connect that with their brilliance now would you?

Ok really explicitly now: You cannot really make meaningful arguments based on a universal property about it's correlation with a very seldom property.

Top Bottom