Faithmongering: My god can beat up your god!

Ximixanga

Enlightened Despot
Or, "how do I compete against faith-focused leaders?"

Last game I was in, the Mayans opened with piety first and grabbed a bunch of wonders that would put them in a position to spread their beliefs across the land like a stubborn weed. Following their building of the Mosque of Djenne and the Borobudur, my previously dominant religion was starting to suffer significantly against the Mayan Great Prophet from their reformation belief and the three trice-spreading missionaries that they were able to grab.

It wasn't enough that I tried to tell Pacal to stop spreading his faith across my lands, so I had to take the logical step and make a DoW against the Mayans and captured, deleted his missionaries that somehow managed to convert one of my cities. Now I'm strapped in a holy war against a juggernaut of a religious foe, whose belief is going to take a considerable effort to completely overthrow within my borders and neighbors.

Simply put, when faced against someone who can effectively make light of your efforts to spread your own religion, what can one do other than go the piety route and spam Great Prophets? This would be challenging, considering the amount of faith the other side is racking up is assuredly sickening compared to my own. That and anytime that he can see an attempt to convert a city, he will take it.

Declare on him. Take his capital (and holy city). If by some chance he failed found in his capital raze his religious wonders. Make sure you bring an inquisitor to erase Holy City Status.

Or, "how do I compete against faith-focused leaders?"

Last game I was in, the Mayans opened with piety first and grabbed a bunch of wonders that would put them in a position to spread their beliefs across the land like a stubborn weed. Following their building of the Mosque of Djenne and the Borobudur, my previously dominant religion was starting to suffer significantly against the Mayan Great Prophet from their reformation belief and the three trice-spreading missionaries that they were able to grab.

It wasn't enough that I tried to tell Pacal to stop spreading his faith across my lands, so I had to take the logical step and make a DoW against the Mayans and captured, deleted his missionaries that somehow managed to convert one of my cities. Now I'm strapped in a holy war against a juggernaut of a religious foe, whose belief is going to take a considerable effort to completely overthrow within my borders and neighbors.

Simply put, when faced against someone who can effectively make light of your efforts to spread your own religion, what can one do other than go the piety route and spam Great Prophets? This would be challenging, considering the amount of faith the other side is racking up is assuredly sickening compared to my own. That and anytime that he can see an attempt to convert a city, he will take it.

You could always build a huge army and take a few faith producing cities out ;)

he is most vulnerable when he is taking worthless crap like get second popular religion pantheon. Don't wait until his religion bonuses start to kick in, stuff like 20 extra defense for cities sharing the religion and so on.

So it's better to wipe out the civ and eliminate their religion entirely rather than compete against it through Prophet conversions and passive spread? I had the same thought in mind, especially considering that anytime I try to grow my own influence he would simply stamp it out with his much more powerful missionaries and without having to worry about the amount of faith he has to have in order to do it.

War is my prefered route though if my religious competitor and I are on opposed ends of the map,
I'll attempt to spread my faith in civs near me. If you can get civs near your religious rival to wage war against them, that means any Great prophets or missionaries they send will be captured, giving you window to convert them.

Top Bottom